Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 08-30-2012, 11:32 PM   #1
Steelersfan87
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 18585
Default Recapping the Steelers' 17-16 victory over the Panthers

Recapping the Steelers' 17-16 victory over the Panthers (Read More)

The Pittsburgh Steelers closed out their preseason slate with a narrow win, as well as a crushing loss. And only the loss will count next week. The Steelers defeated the Carolina Panthers in Heinz Field on Thursday night on a missed last second 50 yard field goal, but in the process, they lost promising rookie linebacker Sean Spence for the year.

As is always the case in the preseason, the true victories are exiting games with no serious injuries. So while the scoreboard may have read 17-16 in favor of the Steelers, not a man felt much to celebrate as they thought of their beloved teammate.

Late in the third quarter, Spence came on a blitz on a third and long and got tangled with a blocker. He got his foot caught in the grass, and his leg bent back awkwardly. After being carted off the field in obvious pain, head coach Mike Tomline revealed after the game that he was taken to the hospital.

He reportedly suffered a torn anterior cruciate ligament, lateral cruciate ligament, and dislocated knee cap, and will surely be placed on injured reserve, ending his rookie season before it ever truly began.

In addition to the severe injury for Spence, second year cornerback Curtis Brown also suffered a knee injury after recovering a muffed punt in the first half. Tomlin later said that he does not know if it is a major injury.

Undrafted rookie linebacker Adrian Robinson also appeared to suffer some type of back injury late in the game, but was only kept off the field for one play. Undrafted rookie safety Robert Golden suffered a hamstring injury and did not return to the game.

These injuries surely further complicate what was already promising to be a very difficult and long night for the Steelers’ coaching staff, as they must decide on Friday on which 22 players will no longer be on the roster as team league-wide cut down from 75 man to 53 man rosters. It is possible that the team searches the waiver wire to secure depth at inside linebacker to replace Sean Spence, for example.

With all of the above injury news stated, which highlights the preeminence of health over performance in the preseason, there was indeed a game played, and it is worth recapping the events of the performance.
Steelersfan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 12:18 AM   #2
OX1947
Living Legend

Member Number: 723
Thanked 1,191 Times in 598 Posts
Default Re: Recapping the Steelers' 17-16 victory over the Panthers

Time to kill half the preseason games and just make it 18. I am tired of this.
OX1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 01:26 PM   #3
Steelersfan87
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 18585

If this was a regular season game, it would've been a starter going down.
Steelersfan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 11:15 PM   #4
FrancoLambert
Team President

Member Number: 20827
Thanked 1,735 Times in 903 Posts
My Mood: Amazed

Kind of late to add to this thread but after finally seeing the replay on NFL Network........
1) My apologies to Charlie Batch, I thought he was done. Well done old man.
2) Dwyer is getting better and better. Add Redman and a healthy Mendy and we are set.
3) Jerrod Johnson is definitely worth keeping and developing, he's accurate.
4) Very encouraging that the O-line (in general) played better.
5) Heinz Field's turf is a disgrace. On almost every play large chunks of sod were torn up. At times just a quick, hard cut brought up turf. If a player struggled for extra yards turf came up.....it's a disgrace and it has hurt our team.
6) You'll never convince me that the turf at Heinz didn't play a big part in the debilitating injuries suffered by De Castro and Spence. Coincidence? I don't think so.
7) And owners,install a top notch playing field to protect your investment and
give your team its best chance for success.
8) Edmund Nelson is horrible as a color analyst.
FrancoLambert is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 11:19 PM   #5
GoFor7
Banned

Member Number: 24211

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancoLambert View Post
5) Heinz Field's turf is a disgrace. On almost every play large chunks of sod were torn up. At times just a quick, hard cut brought up turf. If a player struggled for extra yards turf came up.....it's a disgrace and it has hurt our team.
6) You'll never convince me that the turf at Heinz didn't play a big part in the debilitating injuries suffered by De Castro and Spence. Coincidence? I don't think so.
Well DeCastro got injured in Buffalo, not Pittsburgh. But yeah, the turf is shit too often.

Anyone remember the 2007 MNF game against the Dolphins? In particular a certain punt....
GoFor7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 11:41 PM   #6
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 9,599 Times in 3,994 Posts

Quote:
i guess its just a coincidence that the field you speak of is located in both buffalo and pittsburgh.

you do understand the simple laws of physics that say the natural sod giving way is much more forgiving on the knees and ligaments, as opposed to the artificial turf that the cleats love to "bite" into, right?

im guessing some people never actually saw rod woodson shred his knee at 3 rivers or seen a game played at the vet in philly.
Old 09-02-2012, 12:54 AM   #7
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter

Member Number: 3236
Thanked 5,819 Times in 2,159 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
i guess its just a coincidence that the field you speak of is located in both buffalo and pittsburgh.

you do understand the simple laws of physics that say the natural sod giving way is much more forgiving on the knees and ligaments, as opposed to the artificial turf that the cleats love to "bite" into, right?

im guessing some people never actually saw rod woodson shred his knee at 3 rivers or seen a game played at the vet in philly.
Wasn't there a philly player that blew out both knees on the same play many years ago?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
MACH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 01:01 AM   #8
ricardisimo
Administrator

Member Number: 15369

I vaguely remember a Players' Association study being commissioned and then disappearing completely. Any idea what was determined in any official study of turf vs. grass?
Old 09-02-2012, 09:01 AM   #9
Millers the sh!t
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 22201
My Mood: Cheeky

Knee capping the Steelers' 17-16 victory over the panthers.

It is safe to say that the Steelers were the biggest losers of any team this pre season. We may as well have not even had a draft in 2012.

I'm definitely confident we finish 11-5 or better, but all we can do at this point is hope nobody else go's down and the ones that did go down, hope for a FULL Mental and physical recovery for next season. Maybe our loss, this season will be our gain next season. With all our picks injured this year, when they cone back it'll be like having two drafts next year.

Enjoy the season fellas.
Old 09-02-2012, 09:35 AM   #10
FrancoLambert
Team President

Member Number: 20827
Thanked 1,735 Times in 903 Posts
My Mood: Amazed

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post

My mistake on the location of the injuries.....I guess it's not a good idea for me to post after midnight.
I had just watched Spence get hurt and I was really pissed off.
And yes, statistics show that more serious injuries seem to occur on artificial turf.

HOWEVER, CONCLUSIONS ARE BASED ON OBSERVATIONS.
The point I was trying to make (and still stand by) is that the natural turf at Heinz has been a problem for years.
I watch a lot of football (like all of you do). Few fields get torn up as much as Heinz, play after play, game after game, year after year.
High school games, college games, pro games.....too many games.
When players are polled about the quality of playing surfaces, doesn't Heinz usually appear near the bottom of the list?
The bottom line and my main point.....install a better grass field to reduce the risk of injuries.
FrancoLambert is online now   Reply With Quote