Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 07-29-2006, 08:37 PM   #1
siss
Team Captain

Member Number: 1611
Default Plax 2.0

Thats what im gunna start calling Holmes. I want to like him. But he just does't get it. He does'nt know what it means to be a steeler. And he really doens't know the fans. He hasn't proven a damn thing yet. Other then he can get arrested.

Holmes doesn't apologize for multiple arrests

LATROBE, Pa. (AP) - Pittsburgh Steelers rookie Santonio Holmes offered no apologies. No excuses, either.

Holmes, arrested twice since being the first wide receiver selected during the NFL draft in April, doesn't think the incidents have affected his status with the Steelers or their fans and declined Saturday to say he was sorry.

"I haven't gotten any negative feedback from any fan I have seen around the city since I've been here, which is about a month and a half," Holmes said after completing the team's annual camp-opening run test. "So I don't think I have anything to say to those guys. They know what I can do on the field, what type of person I am on and off the field."
Holmes faces an Aug. 15 trial in Columbus, Ohio, for domestic violence, an incident that involves the mother of one of his three children. He also pleaded innocent to disorderly conduct charges filed in Miami in May.

Even if Holmes thinks differently, the two arrests troubled the Steelers, and director of football operations Kevin Colbert said the team will closely monitor his situation. Holmes faces possible discipline by the NFL if any more problems occur.

However, the Steelers did not feel it was necessary to include any extra language in Holmes' $8.11 million, five-year contract protecting them if he could not play as the result of any off-field problems. Colbert said the team felt the standard NFL player contract offers sufficient protection. Holmes' deal guarantees him $5.42 million.

"He set himself back with a couple of incidents. ... Now, it's up to him to take the next step," Colbert said. "We're comfortable he will take all the necessary corrective steps on and off the field."

Coach Bill Cowher said he will talk to Holmes about the player's troubled summer, but first wanted to see what Holmes said during his news conference Saturday.

Holmes also hasn't endeared himself to at least one Steelers player, and it's an important one - Ben Roethlisberger, the man who will throw Holmes' passes. The quarterback said he tried to call Holmes several times during the summer, but Holmes never returned his calls.

Asked Saturday if the two ever talked, Roethlisberger said, "Yeah, when he showed up yesterday (Friday) we said 'Hi' to each other."

Holmes didn't seem to think there was a problem with the Super Bowl-winning quarterback, saying, "I didn't get any calls from him."

Less than a day since signing his contract, Holmes took part in the mandatory series of 14 40-yard sprints that each uninjured Steelers player must complete before the team begins practicing. Before reporting to camp Friday, Holmes spent the week working out with Hines Ward, the Steelers' Super Bowl MVP receiver.

"I wouldn't say it was a piece of cake. It was pretty tough, but I prepared myself well during the time I was in Pittsburgh, training on my own and then training with Hines," Holmes said.

Nine players skipped the runs because of medical concerns, the most of any recent Steelers camp. Among those not running were quarterback Charlie Batch, center Jeff Hartings, running back Duce Staley, nose tackle Casey Hampton, linebacker Joey Porter, right tackle Max Starks, defensive end Shaun Nua and tight end Walter Young.

Porter had knee surgery two months ago, and Cowher said he likely will begin camp on the physically unable to perform list.

Hampton, a Pro Bowl lineman whose listed weight is 325 pounds, had problems with the run test three years ago. On Saturday, he took part in several 100-yard runs that weren't part of the Steelers' prescribed running test and trailed badly in his group.

"Casey tweaked a hamstring last week running for the test," Cowher said. "I was surprised. He said he tweaked it, but I didn't know he could run fast enough to tweak it."

He's ready, Steelers fans. His ordeal over, his return will be complete come Saturday in Arizona, when football again becomes the focus and a career briefly interrupted resumes.
~SI aticle 2006~
siss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 08:59 PM   #2
SteelersMongol
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 2401
Default Re: Plax 2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by siss
Thats what im gunna start calling Holmes. I want to like him. But he just does't get it. He does'nt know what it means to be a steeler. And he really doens't know the fans. He hasn't proven a damn thing yet. Other then he can get arrested.

1. Pittsburgh Steelers rookie Santonio Holmes offered no apologies. No excuses, either.

2. "I haven't gotten any negative feedback from any fan I have seen around the city since I've been here, which is about a month and a half," Holmes said after completing the team's annual camp-opening run test. "So I don't think I have anything to say to those guys. They know what I can do on the field, what type of person I am on and off the field."

3. Asked Saturday if the two ever talked, Roethlisberger said, "Yeah, when he showed up yesterday (Friday) we said 'Hi' to each other." Holmes didn't seem to think there was a problem with the Super Bowl-winning quarterback, saying, "I didn't get any calls from him."

4. "I wouldn't say it was a piece of cake. It was pretty tough, but I prepared myself well during the time I was in Pittsburgh, training on my own and then training with Hines," Holmes said.

Hmmm. One IS beginning to wonder. Really. Wasn't that suppose to be "I trained with Hines first, then I trained on my own?" Well I guess we'll see what we bargained.
Old 07-29-2006, 09:01 PM   #3
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009

While I'm going to keep an eye on Holmes and wait until he proves to me that he is worthy enough to sport a Steeler jersey, I'm not going to state he is another Plaxico Burress. The kid hasn't played a down in the NFL to this date. He's in camp. That's the first step. Now let him prove himself instead of pegging the kid as the next trouble maker on this roster.

As for the phone call to Ben. At first I shook my head at the action. Then I thought it over. How do we know what went down? Were we there when Ben called? Do we know where Holmes was when Ben called. Hell, de we even know for sure that Ben called? Holmes stated that Ben did not call. Ben stated that he did call. So unless your were standing next to Ben or Holmes, your opinion is pure assumption. Then again, I'm sure some will give Ben the benefit of the doubt out of pure homerism. Not surprising there. Get over the phone call story. There are bigger concerns.

I'm willing to give the kid a chance at the pro level. At the same time, he's a on short leash in my book.
Old 07-29-2006, 09:12 PM   #4
siss
Team Captain

I hope he proves me wrong. But we don't need another cancer in the locker room. Bettis would not approve. These two need to sit down and talk away from the media and get on the same page.

He's ready, Steelers fans. His ordeal over, his return will be complete come Saturday in Arizona, when football again becomes the focus and a career briefly interrupted resumes.
~SI aticle 2006~
Old 07-29-2006, 09:14 PM   #5
BlackNGold203
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 1217

"Coach Bill Cowher said he will talk to Holmes about the player's troubled summer, but first wanted to see what Holmes said during his news conference Saturday."

Well..based on this news conference...should be an interesting discussion
Old 07-29-2006, 09:21 PM   #6
siss
Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackNGold203
"Coach Bill Cowher said he will talk to Holmes about the player's troubled summer, but first wanted to see what Holmes said during his news conference Saturday."

Well..based on this news conference...should be an interesting discussion
I'd like to be a fly on the wall for that one!

~SI aticle 2006~
Old 07-29-2006, 09:22 PM   #7
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009

Here's a hypothetical question.......

Even if Ben did call and Santonio did not call him back. So what? They are going to see each other in camp. They are going to get to know each other whether they like it or not. If Ben see's the kid open he will throw him the ball. What's the big deal here?

Sorry. Clean slate. Start of the new season. I'm willing to give the kid a chance during his pro-career before I start pegging him the next "Plax" simply because he supposedly didn't call back the starting QB.
Old 07-29-2006, 09:26 PM   #8
SteelersMongol
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 2401

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83-Steelers-43

Even if Ben did call and Santonio did not call him back. So what? They are going to see each other in camp. They are going to get to know each other whether they like it or not. If Ben see's the kid open he will throw him the ball. What's the big deal here?

Sorry. Clean slate. Start of the new season. I'm willing to give the kid a chance during his pro-career before I start pegging him the next "Plax" simply because he supposedly didn't call back the starting QB.
Could he (Holmes) have called Ben himself and said "I heard you called me, I don't see nothing on my message machine, those damn kids must've deleted them all. But thanks for the concern anyways" something like that? You know, to save his and Ben's face.

Last edited by SteelersMongol; 07-29-2006 at 09:31 PM.
SteelersMongol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 09:27 PM   #9
slashsteel

Member Number:

43 I agree very good post..............

Why don't we take a wait and see on Holmes, a lot of conjecture at this point................
Old 07-29-2006, 09:29 PM   #10
BlackNGold203
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 1217

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83-Steelers-43

Agreed 83...the phone thing is such a non issue....

Look..he's our #1 pick....if he's the real deal...this will all be forgotten

I trust Cowher and Colbert...they see something in this kid....and Im anxious to see this kid on the field