Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 07-30-2006, 08:12 AM   #21
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009
Default Re: Plax 2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by LambertLunatic
Why make an issue out of him not apologizing? Had he apologized, he'd have been conceding that he had something to] apologize for. This wouldn't be a wise thing to do before going to court. I'd assume that his lawyer told him not to make any public apologies.
Good point.

Bottomline in my book is patience. Let them sit this kid down and have a talk with him, see how he handles camp and at least let the kid prove himself during the regular season. If he becomes a pain in the butt he will be gone. The Rooney's will not put up with this kid.
Old 07-30-2006, 08:15 AM   #22
LambertIsGod58
Team President

Member Number: 410

Quote:
Originally Posted by LambertLunatic
Why make an issue out of him not apologizing? Had he apologized, he'd have been conceding that he had something to] apologize for. This wouldn't be a wise thing to do before going to court. I'd assume that his lawyer told him not to make any public apologies.

This couldn't be more true....As far as the new job/CEO scenerio....Ben is not God. Ben is the starting QB, that's all. Holmes doesn't need to answer to Ben...He owes Ben nothing. And I also think that the Rooneys would have something to say about who the CEO is. I, for the life of me, can not understand why we have "fans" already convicting this kid. He hasn't even gone to court yet. And if you are saying it's not the legal charges, it's his attitude....You are still convicting him without giving him a chance....My God, he's been here SIX WEEKS....Just because you don't like how he conducts himself, doesn't make him a cancer to the team.

"Life is a journey and you never arrive" Chuck Noll 1969-91
LambertIsGod58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 09:31 AM   #23
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Not meaning to go off topic from our public hanging of this kid before he actually plays a down of NFL football, I found this interesting..................

From the Trib:

Holmes agreed to a five-year deal valued at $8.11 million, including $4.25 million in bonus dollars.

From the PPG:

"Holmes became the final piece in place when he signed a five-year contract last night for $8.11 million, including $5.25 million in bonuses."

Eitherway, I think the PPG has the correct numbers. Strange though.

Last edited by 83-Steelers-43; 07-30-2006 at 09:46 AM.
83-Steelers-43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 09:50 AM   #24
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Also, please correct me if I'm wrong..........

Holmes already apologized for the arrests and the negative attention to the Steelers after both arrests. Did he not?

If that is the case, Is that not enough? Or are some also expecting Santonio to get down on both knees in front of the camera and apologize for supposedly not returning GODS phone calls?

Last edited by 83-Steelers-43; 07-30-2006 at 09:58 AM.
Old 07-30-2006, 12:49 PM   #25
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,226 Times in 2,678 Posts

arent there enough bengals players with true problems who are true cancers that we could be slamming? holmes is not a bungle. i see no reason some want to treat him like he is. he hasnt brought the steelers to their knees, nor will he
tony hipchest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 01:18 PM   #26
Koopa
Living Legend

Member Number: 508

he doesn't need to apologize for anything, all he did was get arrested while being black and now famous, and his bitch was acting a fool. and if he isn't getting any negative feedback from the fans in pitt. he must either not have met any of the ppl on this forum or y'all so two face motherf'kers lol.

and to compare holmes to plax is just plain out stupid, holmes hasn't even played a game. so you can't compare him. and i liked plax, just didn't like that the way he acted when he left. so i guess i'll like holmes if he is infact "Plax 2.0"
Koopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 01:44 PM   #27
Haiku_Dirtt
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 1645

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83-Steelers-43
While I'm going to keep an eye on Holmes and wait until he proves to me that he is worthy enough to sport a Steeler jersey, I'm not going to state he is another Plaxico Burress. The kid hasn't played a down in the NFL to this date. He's in camp. That's the first step. Now let him prove himself instead of pegging the kid as the next trouble maker on this roster.

As for the phone call to Ben. At first I shook my head at the action. Then I thought it over. How do we know what went down? Were we there when Ben called? Do we know where Holmes was when Ben called. Hell, de we even know for sure that Ben called? Holmes stated that Ben did not call. Ben stated that he did call. So unless your were standing next to Ben or Holmes, your opinion is pure assumption. Then again, I'm sure some will give Ben the benefit of the doubt out of pure homerism. Not surprising there. Get over the phone call story. There are bigger concerns.

I'm willing to give the kid a chance at the pro level. At the same time, he's a on short leash in my book.
That's the level headed way to look at it. You right about the pure assumption. Is Big Ben a big liar? We don't know. With a gun to my head I'd bet the house that it's Holmes.

More importantly right now and what I'd really like to know is why the Steelers Organization let this mini-drama unfold in the media. It doesn't take a Madison Avenue executive to know that his first press conference after making a healthy bank deposit could be trouble.

What in the hell were they thinking? Did they ask him what his responses would be in advance? Could they have told him that maybe he should answer a LITTLE differently?

What's most shocking about his first interview is not what Holmes said but what the Steelers allowed him to say.
Haiku_Dirtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 02:11 PM   #28
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,226 Times in 2,678 Posts

"More importantly right now and what I'd really like to know is why the Steelers Organization let this mini-drama unfold in the media. It doesn't take a Madison Avenue executive to know that his first press conference after making a healthy bank deposit could be trouble."

i dont think its the steelers organizations responsibility to monitor the mini-dramas its overly sensitive fans create. too many people are trying to create smoke where theres not even fire. phone calls? psycho analyzing every word said in an openning camp press conference? c'mon people. its the fans fault for looking at our steelers players as Gods instead of regular people. better get used to the fact that holmes and any perceived attitude he may have is a steeler. the front office isnt gonna micro manage his life or be cutting their 1st rounder anytime soon.
tony hipchest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 02:15 PM   #29
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

I've been to three different Steeler boards since this "story" broke. To tell you the truth, I listened to his PC three different times and I really wasn't offended or surprised by what he stated. Am I the only one? Am I missing something here? Were there subliminal messages installed during the original PC that I missed?

Maybe if I put down half a bottle of jack, take a bad hit of LSD and watch it for the fourth time I can find something to get pissed about and join the group that are blowing this up beyond all imagination?

It's amazing that phone call that was supposedly not returned and the fact that he did not apologize during this past PC (even though he already apologized for his two arrests) can be made into such a big deal.

Last edited by 83-Steelers-43; 07-30-2006 at 02:42 PM.
Old 07-30-2006, 02:37 PM   #30
Haiku_Dirtt
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 1645

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest
"More importantly right now and what I'd really like to know is why the Steelers Organization let this mini-drama unfold in the media. It doesn't take a Madison Avenue executive to know that his first press conference after making a healthy bank deposit could be trouble."

i dont think its the steelers organizations responsibility to monitor the mini-dramas its overly sensitive fans create. too many people are trying to create smoke where theres not even fire. phone calls? psycho analyzing every word said in an openning camp press conference? c'mon people. its the fans fault for looking at our steelers players as Gods instead of regular people. better get used to the fact that holmes and any perceived attitude he may have is a steeler. the front office isnt gonna micro manage his life or be cutting their 1st rounder anytime soon.
Yes and no. The sports media is a big big machine for better or worse. No. For worse. I don't need to go back to far into history to find an example of how 'perception' in the media can effect what happens in the locker and on the field.

Eagles.

I hate soap opera. I love football. Now I'm not suggesting they micro-manage because they can't. A Bull Durham sit down like Costner did with Meat would have been just fine for his first press conference.

The fans didn't splash the story on every sports front page around the globe. The press did. The NFL is a juggernaut. And public relations is part of the business - for the teams and the players - because that's what the league wants.

Those same reporters are going to go running to Ben and shove microphones in his face and ask him if he lied. That to me is very much part of the front office's job to prevent. And this story will not go away because come Monday morning it will be a top story on ESPN all day and perhaps all week.

Instead of talking about footbal we have this crap.
Haiku_Dirtt is offline   Reply With Quote