Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 07-30-2006, 06:59 AM   #1
Lyn
Banned

Member Number: 304
Default Not Liking Our #1 Draft Pick

Cook: Steelers' top pick shows no remorse on arrests, says Ben didn't call
Sunday, July 30, 2006

By Ron Cook, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

This is how badly Santonio Holmes' welcome-to-Steelers-training-camp news conference went yesterday:

The kid essentially called Ben Roethlisberger a liar and it wasn't the worst part of the session.

The worst part was that Holmes showed absolutely no remorse for his two arrests in a three-week period late in the spring.

"I don't think I have anything to prove to anybody," he said, almost defiantly, his first public comments since the arrests. "People know what I can do on the field and they know the type of person I am off the field."

Actually, we don't.

Peter Diana, Post-Gazette
Santonio Holmes says his actions on the field should speak for him.
Click photo for larger image.

We know Holmes was a special player at Ohio State. That's why the Steelers made him their No. 1 draft choice in April and signed him to a five-year, $8.11 million contract Friday, including a $5.42 million bonus. It's also why he could comfortably wear a red Buckeye Football T-shirt around the St. Vincent College campus yesterday with "Da Man" on the back.

But we don't know Holmes as a person. All we know is he was arrested on Memorial Day weekend in Miami on a disorderly conduct charge and again June 18 in Columbus, Ohio, on a domestic-abuse charge.

That's why it would have been nice if Holmes had pulled a Floyd Landis yesterday and asked us to wait to judge him until all the facts of his incidents are out. Remember, he hasn't been convicted of anything yet. It also would have been nice if he had said something like, maybe, "This isn't the way I wanted to start my career in Pittsburgh, but if you give me a chance, I'll prove to you the type of character I have."

But Holmes didn't do that.

He didn't even come close.

"I haven't gotten any negative feedback from one person since I've been in town the past month-and-a-half," Holmes said, leaving the impression he thinks it's perfectly normal for a guy to get arrested twice.

The whole scene was bizarre.

That's the only word to describe Holmes' response to a question about why he didn't return Roethlisberger's telephone calls after Big Ben reached out to him to show his support after his second arrest. "I called him a bunch of times and left a bunch of messages for him, and he never called me back, so I don't know how to take it," Roethlisberger told the Post-Gazette's Paul Zeise earlier this month. "The ball is in his court ..."

Responded Holmes: "I didn't get any calls from him."

Are you thinking what I'm thinking?

That Holmes and Roethlisberger really do need to talk?

Maybe there's a logical explanation there. Maybe Roethlisberger had the wrong number for Holmes. Or maybe Holmes had a bad cell phone day and never got the messages.

Maybe.

But, no matter the circumstances, Holmes' answer made Roethlisberger look bad. Call me crazy, but I just don't see the wisdom in a rookie wide receiver making his quarterback look bad. Holmes' timing seemed especially jarring because, just two hours earlier, Roethlisberger had stood on the practice field after the team's grueling conditioning run and gushed about how glad he was that Holmes made it to camp on time without contract problems and how eager he was to work with him.

It's unclear when Holmes and Roethlisberger will chat, but Bill Cowher had a sit-down planned with Holmes last night. Wouldn't you have loved to be a fly on the wall during that conversation? Presumably, Cowher made clear his displeasure with the negative attention Holmes brought the Steelers and gave him a little unsolicited advice about the responsibility that goes with being a professional athlete. For Holmes' sake, here's hoping he showed a little more humility with the boss.

Hey, it's tough to be too hard on the kid. Holmes is 22 and, as he put it, "a young guy stepping into a great deal of things ahead of me." It's also understandable why he was on the defensive when he met the local media for the first time under these circumstances. There weren't the usual queries that a No. 1 pick gets about how it feels to suddenly be a multi-millionaire or how soon he expects to contribute to the team. Virtually the first question for Holmes was about the possibility of him having to miss camp time because of an Aug. 15 court date in Columbus on the domestic-abuse charge. He shrugged it off and indicated he plans on being on the practice field on Aug. 15.

"All of that is behind me," Holmes said. "As far as I know from talking to my attorneys, there's nothing more that I have to do."

That was the good news to come out of the session.

The only good news, unfortunately.

Young, immature and nervous or not, it's still hard to get by Holmes' complete lack of contrition.

That's why you'll have to forgive me if I'm not willing to share in his joy when he said, "It feels good to be a Steeler."

At this point, I'm not ready to say I'm happy that Holmes is a Steeler.

And the two arrests are only a part of it.
Lyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 07:11 AM   #2
LambertIsGod58
Team President

Member Number: 410
Default Re: Not Liking Our #1 Draft Pick

Totally understand your position here......for me it's too early to make up my mind on Holmes. From what I understand he was the best WR in the draft according to some analysts. On top of that, I don't think the Rooneys or Cowher will put up with too much.

"Life is a journey and you never arrive" Chuck Noll 1969-91
LambertIsGod58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 07:16 AM   #3
Lyn
Banned

Member Number: 304

He is an excellent athlete, no question! Is that an excuse to be rude? I would think under all the circumstances he would be somewhat humble...............even if he hadn't spent the offseason in and out of jail for short periods. I would think he would be a professional and look up to the vets but he has made it crystal clear that he is "da man" No matter what you say the guy is an arrogant SOB who needs his clock cleaned and it will happen.
I can't admire someone who is ****y and in this jerk's case I do not even pity him!
Lyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 07:26 AM   #4
Black@Gold Forever32
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 2290

The bottom line is Santonio Holmes isn't paid to be a nice guy. He is paid to produce and help win football games. Really thats the only things that matter. If he does that and stays out of jail. I could care less if he is an arrogant jerk.
Black@Gold Forever32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 07:28 AM   #5
LambertIsGod58
Team President

Member Number: 410

Again I understand your take, but today's NFL isn't too worried about who is arrogant and who is remorseful about off the field problems. How many chances did Ricky Williams get? How many problems has Terrell Owens had? And as far as admiring this guy, he's not there for that. He's there because he has God given talent. If that's what he was there for, they would draft on personality and morals....not physical talent. I'm not tryin' to be argumentative here...it's just today's pro sports don't make any of this a major priority.

"Life is a journey and you never arrive" Chuck Noll 1969-91
LambertIsGod58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 07:38 AM   #6
Mosca
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 1751

Quote:
Originally Posted by LambertIsGod58
Totally understand your position here......for me it's too early to make up my mind on Holmes. From what I understand he was the best WR in the draft according to some analysts.

And TO is unquestionably the best wide receiver in the game today. But we don't want him.

The Steelers will be the Steelers just fine without him, the sooner he learns that he's not bigger than the Steelers or bigger than football, the better.

Tom
Mosca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 07:58 AM   #7
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black and Gold Forever 32
The bottom line is Santonio Holmes isn't paid to be a nice guy. He is paid to produce and help win football games. Really thats the only things that matter. If he does that and stays out of jail. I could care less if he is an arrogant jerk.
I DO care if he is an arrogant jerk!!! As the father of a 12 yo son..I have had the opportunity to impress upon him that sports is not only about how you perform, but in how you conduct yourself. I have been able to take those conversations, as he has got older, and been able to apply those convictions to "life". He now knows (at the age of 12) that as he does his paper route he not only needs to be punctual and reliable, but also must act professionally. His actions are a direct reflection of the newspaper he is representing. He will take that life lesson with him when he is an adult.

One of the reasons that I love my Steelers and love for my son to follow the team...is that they have had these same beliefs and they have traditionally been a team that has tried to do the "right thing". I have been able to share with both my kids how the Rooney's believed in Rocky Blier..even after he was wounded in war. I have been able to show them articles about Lambert sitting on the hill with the kids after practice. Even lately I cut out the story of Randle El being drafted by the Steelers and asking the reporters for time to "pray in thanks" with his family before he gave interviews...and of Ben driving his sister to Prom.

I care as much as ANYONE about our team winning games. But I dont ever want to win at the expense of the team cohesion and tradition that the Steelers alone have exemplified. If we wanted a talented jerk..T.O. was available!!

That being said..I hope that he gets it together, grows up a little, performs well and THEN stays with the team for a long time.
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 08:07 AM   #8
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 5,667 Times in 2,620 Posts

Yesterday's statements by Holmes are another example of how an agent is supposed to earn his pay by doing more than negotiating the contract. It appears that nobody has sat Holmes down and given him a crash course in media relations 101; if someone has done that and Holmes still does not get it then yesterady's session that prompted the rip job by Ron Cook is a preview of more problems to come.

I agree that Holmes is being paid to catch the ball and not be any kind of role model.
That having been said, when he appears to be calling his QB a liar then he is crossing the line from off the field thug and entering the T.O./Plax zone by dissing his teammates.

Hope Holmes had a nice time visiting with Cowher last night - I assume Holmes did more listening than talking :)
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 08:16 AM   #9
Black@Gold Forever32
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 2290

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamberts-lost-tooth
I DO care if he is an arrogant jerk!!! As the father of a 12 yo son..I have had the opportunity to impress upon him that sports is not only about how you perform, but in how you conduct yourself. I have been able to take those conversations, as he has got older, and been able to apply those convictions to "life". He now knows (at the age of 12) that as he does his paper route he not only needs to be punctual and reliable, but also must act professionally. His actions are a direct reflection of the newspaper he is representing. He will take that life lesson with him when he is an adult.

One of the reasons that I love my Steelers and love for my son to follow the team...is that they have had these same beliefs and they have traditionally been a team that has tried to do the "right thing". I have been able to share with both my kids how the Rooney's believed in Rocky Blier..even after he was wounded in war. I have been able to show them articles about Lambert sitting on the hill with the kids after practice. Even lately I cut out the story of Randle El being drafted by the Steelers and asking the reporters for time to "pray in thanks" with his family before he gave interviews...and of Ben driving his sister to Prom.

I care as much as ANYONE about our team winning games. But I dont ever want to win at the expense of the team cohesion and tradition that the Steelers alone have exemplified. If we wanted a talented jerk..T.O. was available!!

That being said..I hope that he gets it together, grows up a little, performs well and THEN stays with the team for a long time.
I totally agree with you about sports and how its a great teacher for lessons in life. But thats more at the High School level now. Lets face it even in college sports and of course the pro leauges its all about money and winning. Personally and I'm not trying to tell you how to raise your son. But I wouldn't my son if I had one looking up to these ego maniacs.

I just don't think pro athletes are role models and they are not paid to be. Yea in the past I would say they were. But those days are long gone. So just as long as Santonio stays out of jail and produces on the field. I could care less if he is the biggest jerk in the world.
Black@Gold Forever32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 08:20 AM   #10
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black and Gold Forever 32
So just as long as Santonio stays out of jail and produces on the field. I could care less if he is the biggest jerk in the world.
And doesn't become a cancer in the locker room.