Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 07-30-2006, 08:22 AM   #11
Black@Gold Forever32
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 2290
Default Re: Not Liking Our #1 Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83-Steelers-43
And doesn't become a cancer in the locker room.
Yea I agree there. Trust me I don't think Cowher would let that happen. Hell I could see Cowher punching out Santonio if he would become a cancer.
Black@Gold Forever32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 08:30 AM   #12
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black and Gold Forever 32
Yea I agree there. Trust me I don't think Cowher would let that happen. Hell I could see Cowher punching out Santonio if he would become a cancer.
Well, I don't think it will get to that point nor do I see Cowher throwing a haymaker at Holmes...lol. In my opinion this kid is on a very short leash and he will be gone before it comes to any type of physical confrontation with players or coaching staff. That's if he becomes a problem.
Old 07-30-2006, 08:38 AM   #13
Black@Gold Forever32
Banned
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83-Steelers-43
Well, I don't think it will get to that point nor do I see Cowher throwing a haymaker at Holmes...lol. In my opinion this kid is on a very short leash and he will be gone before it comes to any type of physical confrontation with players or coaching staff. That's if he becomes a problem.
Yea I was joking about Cowher punching out Holmes. I just know Coach is alittle intense from time to time. Yea I agree Holmes is on a short leash and will be gone if a problem presents itself.
Old 07-30-2006, 08:40 AM   #14
LambertIsGod58
Team President

Member Number: 410

LET'S GIVE THE KID A CHANCE!!!

"Life is a journey and you never arrive" Chuck Noll 1969-91
LambertIsGod58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 08:55 AM   #15
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black and Gold Forever 32
I totally agree with you about sports and how its a great teacher for lessons in life. But thats more at the High School level now. Lets face it even in college sports and of course the pro leauges its all about money and winning. Personally and I'm not trying to tell you how to raise your son. But I wouldn't my son if I had one looking up to these ego maniacs.
I just don't think pro athletes are role models and they are not paid to be. Yea in the past I would say they were. But those days are long gone. So just as long as Santonio stays out of jail and produces on the field. I could care less if he is the biggest jerk in the world.

Your right...I dont need help..doing a fine job on my own. I think I made it clear that my son Doesnt look up to ego maniacs...His favorite players are El (it killed him when he left) and Troy...(cant get much more humble than that.) and even then..I let my kids know that these guys are human and face incredible temptations. The guys who can face those temptations and be humble and down to earth are special.
I would disagree that those days are gone...if a parent is paying attention ...and if you have passed on good convictions to your children...they will seek out the good guys for role models.
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 08:56 AM   #16
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009

Quote:
Originally Posted by LambertIsGod58
LET'S GIVE THE KID A CHANCE!!!
I agree.....
Old 07-30-2006, 09:07 AM   #17
Black@Gold Forever32
Banned
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamberts-lost-tooth
Your right...I dont need help..doing a fine job on my own. I think I made it clear that my son Doesnt look up to ego maniacs...His favorite players are El (it killed him when he left) and Troy...(cant get much more humble than that.) and even then..I let my kids know that these guys are human and face incredible temptations. The guys who can face those temptations and be humble and down to earth are special.
I would disagree that those days are gone...if a parent is paying attention ...and if you have passed on good convictions to your children...they will seek out the good guys for role models.
I didn't say you needed help. I don't ever recall suggesting that you did? I just don't think pro athletes are role models and they are not paid to be. True there are still some guys that kids can look up to. But you said your son's favorite was El. Mr. Randle El is a good guy I had the pleasure of meeting him a few years ago. But look he won't retire a Steeler. Thats one of the sad things about pro sports today is players not spending their entire career mostly with one team. Which gets back to my point its all about money and winning.

Charles Barkley said it best years ago.

"Athletes Are Not Role Models"
Old 07-30-2006, 09:25 AM   #18
BlackNGold203
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 1217

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan
Yesterday's statements by Holmes are another example of how an agent is supposed to earn his pay by doing more than negotiating the contract. It appears that nobody has sat Holmes down and given him a crash course in media relations 101; if someone has done that and Holmes still does not get it then yesterady's session that prompted the rip job by Ron Cook is a preview of more problems to come.

I agree that Holmes is being paid to catch the ball and not be any kind of role model.
That having been said, when he appears to be calling his QB a liar then he is crossing the line from off the field thug and entering the T.O./Plax zone by dissing his teammates.

Hope Holmes had a nice time visiting with Cowher last night - I assume Holmes did more listening than talking :)

Excellent point Dan.....

It's obvious no one coached this kid before this press conference...

And if they did...and he said what he said anyways....then maybe we DO have a potential problem....

Either way...we all know...neither Cowher nor the Rooneys will put up with it.
Old 07-30-2006, 10:41 AM   #19
BIGBENFASTWILLIE
Living Legend

Member Number: 618

Once he starts catching TD's im not going to care but with all that is being said....I want to see what his attitude is like after a few days at camp....Coaches and players will get on his ass and straighten him out....
Old 07-30-2006, 12:42 PM   #20
hardwork
Banned

Member Number: 342

Not looking good. First your QB gets in an accident without a helmet on. Then your #1 draft pick calls that QB a liar. The Steelers are in desperate need of leadership from a player, or two, or three.
hardwork is offline   Reply With Quote