Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 09-05-2012, 03:31 PM   #41
GoFor7
Banned

Member Number: 24211
Default Re: Wexell reports Mendenhall looked "fantastic" at Mondays practice

Quote:
Originally Posted by teegre View Post
Brother, no one is asking for fifteen straight run plays. But, what we'd like to see that is if the Steelers indeed wanted to call a running play, that they've actually practiced it. And, likewise, running when they want to and/or need to... such as: occassionally, on 3rd & inches, maybe running the ball is better than passing to Matt Spaeth.

Arians was here: pass, pass, deep pass, deeper pass, QB run, bubble screen, pass, bubble screen, pass, bubble screen.

The Bettis days were here (note: mostly due to a lack of a QB): run, run, run, run, run, run, run, run, hail mary.

I forsee Haley being somewhere in the middle: run, pass, pass, run, pass, run, pass, pass, pass, run, pass, pass, run, run.
Anyone remember the game against Green Bay in the regular season 3 years ago? Final score 37-36, Ben throws for 503 yards, 3TDs - including the game winner to Wallace in the final seconds. No turnovers in that game from either team. Over the next few days, watching recaps on local TV and listening to radio, etc, there were fans complaining about the game. But they weren't complaining about the defense ineptitude in that game, and not even so much Tomlin's silly on-side kick call.

The complaint was the Steelers didn't run the ball enough.

Nevermind your superstar QB threw for over 500 yards and the offense had one of it's most explosive games in a while! And nevermind 37 points was the bare minimum needed to win that game! They didn't play 70's smashmouth! Not good enough from the offense!

I know not everyone who roots for the black and gold is stuck in the 70's yinzer smashmouth era, but there's definitely a vocal section of Steeler Nation that's enamored with it. They can't go of the team from the 70's (which is funny, because in the latter part of that dynasty the Steelers were more of an offensive passing team than a defensive, smashmouth team). Perhaps they don't want the QB to look bigger than the rest of the team (too late, he already is). Or perhaps there's just a large disdain for the way offenses have opened up in the NFL.
GoFor7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 04:53 PM   #42
FrancoLambert
Head Coach

Member Number: 20827
Thanked 1,478 Times in 772 Posts
My Mood: Breezy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowCatShot View Post
Frankly, I never saw the breakaway speed that you're referring to. When he did manage to stumble into the clear it seems to me that he was always easily run down and tackled from behind. Hopefully I'm wrong and I, coincidentally, was always going to the fridge for another beer when he did his dazzling. We'll see.
Check out the playoff games during our last run to the Super Bowl.
Watch # 34 carefully, you'll see some "run away from tacklers" speed.
That's what he (hopefully still) has that Redman doesn't.
Look, he doesn't have the "dazzling" speed of a Darren Sproles or Chris Rainey.
But, if healthy, for a power back his speed is significantly above average.
FrancoLambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 04:58 PM   #43
FrancoLambert
Head Coach

Member Number: 20827
Thanked 1,478 Times in 772 Posts
My Mood: Breezy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Arians View Post
i wanna see more of that chris rainey action in the reg season
^^^^^^^^^^
This and more. I want to see him split out some, lined up as a WR.
Wallace, Brown, Sanders, Rainey.....that's a lot of speed and quickness to account for.
FrancoLambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 05:25 PM   #44
Fire Haley
Banned

Member Number: 763
Thanked 1,098 Times in 768 Posts

more good news...

Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reports that Mendenhall, who got rave reviews from the Steelers after Monday’s practice, went through a full practice with the team again on Wednesday.

That includes 11-on-11 drills, practice time that is usually reserved for players that are expected to play a role in that week’s game.

Per Bouchette, Mendenhall wore no brace or band on his knee as he went through the session.
Fire Haley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 05:33 PM   #45
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 17,449 Times in 7,372 Posts
My Mood: Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFor7 View Post
Anyone remember the game against Green Bay in the regular season 3 years ago? Final score 37-36, Ben throws for 503 yards, 3TDs - including the game winner to Wallace in the final seconds. No turnovers in that game from either team. Over the next few days, watching recaps on local TV and listening to radio, etc, there were fans complaining about the game. But they weren't complaining about the defense ineptitude in that game, and not even so much Tomlin's silly on-side kick call.

The complaint was the Steelers didn't run the ball enough.

Nevermind your superstar QB threw for over 500 yards and the offense had one of it's most explosive games in a while! And nevermind 37 points was the bare minimum needed to win that game! They didn't play 70's smashmouth! Not good enough from the offense!

I know not everyone who roots for the black and gold is stuck in the 70's yinzer smashmouth era, but there's definitely a vocal section of Steeler Nation that's enamored with it. They can't go of the team from the 70's (which is funny, because in the latter part of that dynasty the Steelers were more of an offensive passing team than a defensive, smashmouth team). Perhaps they don't want the QB to look bigger than the rest of the team (too late, he already is). Or perhaps there's just a large disdain for the way offenses have opened up in the NFL.
1. I didn't hear those types complaints... but, I live on the west coast.

1-a. I am sure that Steelers fans did indeed complain. My father complians if the opposing offense gets even one first down in a game. Steelers fans want perfection. We are an unhappy bunch. Ever been to Stillers.com? Five minutes after the finish to SuperBowl XLIII, they were complaining... "Dick LeBlow almost gave away the game... yadda-yadda-yadda..." I tried to retort by telling them to savor (possibly) the best ending to a SuperBowl ever... and they chased me away with their pessimism. Some people are destined to not be happy. I call them Steelers fans.

2. Interesting thing about that GB game: it is the only game that I have missed in nearly twenty years. [Note: I technically watched a Browns game, in late 2005, while suffering from the flu... but, I don't remember ANY of what transpired.]

Anyway... that GB game was delayed, due to the snow. So, when I got to my parents' house, to watch the game, as I usally do... it is not on until later. ARGH!!! And, my wife had invited a bunch of people over at 2:00 (the games out here end at 1:30ish). Ergo, I missed the game... and that amazing ending. [Note: the ending was not as good as SuperBowl XLIII, but only because it was not a SuperBowl. Speaking of which...]

2-a. I thought that SuperBowl XLV was going to end the same way as the 2009 GB game: a last second (literally) TD to Wallace for the win. I thought, in my head, "I missed that regular season game, by being a good husband, and the football Gods are going to reward me." Alas...

3. Again, no one (no one sane) wants to see run, run, run for run's sake. We would like to see more running when the Steelers want (and/or need) to run. If the ILB is playing ten yards deep, run. If the ILB is crowding the LOS, pass. Flexibility... as opposed to running the same bubble screen five times in a row.
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 07:40 PM   #46
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair QB
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 9,226 Times in 3,940 Posts
My Mood: Amused

Rashard Mendenhall steps closer to playing

Posted by Josh Alper on September 5, 2012

No one gave Steelers running back Rashard Mendenhall much chance of making it back from a torn ACL in time to play in the Steelers’ season opener, but he took a big step toward doing just that on Wednesday.

Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reports that Mendenhall, who got rave reviews from the Steelers after Monday’s practice, went through a full practice with the team again on Wednesday. That includes 11-on-11 drills, practice time that is usually reserved for players that are expected to play a role in that week’s game. Per Bouchette, Mendenhall wore no brace or band on his knee as he went through the session.

Getting back on the field after having surgery to repair his injury in January would be awully fast, but Mendenhall has been taking steps faster than anticipated all throughout the offseason. There were fears that he’d miss the entire season then that he would start the year on the PUP list. Even when he was activated from the PUP list, the thought was that Mendenhall would be a bystander for the first few weeks of the season.

Now it looks like Mendenhall’s got a shot at playing against the Broncos. Or at least that the Steelers want the Broncos to think he’s got a shot at playing. We’d say he’s likely to play a supporting role to Jonathan Dwyer or Isaac Redman if he does play, but, at this point, it’s probably best to just wait and see what Mendenhall can do next.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...er-to-playing/
Old 09-06-2012, 11:12 AM   #47
wera176
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 18645

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelfury02 View Post
..I just know what good situational football and game planning looks like, and hopefully, we'll start seeing some of that come to fruition
^ This

And can we please, for the love of all that is Black and Gold, BLOW some teams out once in a while? Run up the damn score, I don't care. I hate hoping the D can hold on, or that we can get this 1st down (which we usually didn't under Brucey) seemingly every week.

35-10 with 4-5 minutes to go sounds damn good to me.... I'm getting old, the stress is gonna kill me!
wera176 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 11:34 AM   #48
BowCatShot
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 24236

Quote:
Originally Posted by wera176 View Post
^ This

And can we please, for the love of all that is Black and Gold, BLOW some teams out once in a while? Run up the damn score, I don't care. I hate hoping the D can hold on, or that we can get this 1st down (which we usually didn't under Brucey) seemingly every week.

35-10 with 4-5 minutes to go sounds damn good to me.... I'm getting old, the stress is gonna kill me!
When that happens all of the non Steeler fans tv viewers change channels to another game. Advertisers lose revenue. Ultimately the nfl loses money. Can't allow that.
BowCatShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 12:52 AM   #49
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair QB
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 9,226 Times in 3,940 Posts
My Mood: Amused

Rashard Mendenhall Closing in on Return; Other Injury News

by Steelblitz

As everyone knows Rashard Mendenhall tore his ACL in a week 17 win last season. During the pre-season the Steelers were hoping Mendenhall would be able to return during the 2012 season, period. Then things got more optimistic as the Steelers planned to have him back by the mid-point of the season. By the time week 1 rolled around some thought Mendenhall may have had a shot at playing in the game, he didn’t. However, as he continues to progress it looks as though he could very well be back in week 5.

The Steelers have the Bye in week 4 which will give Mendenhall about two and a half weeks to get ready. He has began taking contact in practice and coaches have been praising him for his play so far. Adrian Peterson, who is also recovering from a major knee injury, has returned with positive results. Mendenhall is hoping to do the same.

With the Steelers issues in the run game they are hoping Mendenhall can return soon and provide a spark for the offense. As of now the Steelers have three of there best players out due to injury in Mendenhall, All-Pro linebacker James Harrison, and All-Pro safety Troy Polamalu. With, a hopefully, easy match-up against the Oakland Raiders in week 3 and the Bye in week 4 it seems likely that all three will sit on Sunday and rest for the week 5 match-up back in Pittsburgh against the Philadelphia Eagles. The Steelers, of course, could have other plans however.

Other Injury News:

Troy Polamalu and James Harrison missed practice, which was expected. Also missing were Heath Miller, Jonathan Dwyer, Marcus Gilbert, Emmanuel Sanders, and Mike Wallace. Stevenson Sylvester and Mike Adams were each limited in practice which is a good sign for Sylvester who has been out since part way through training camp.

Gilbert, Dwyer, Wallace, Sanders, and Miller are all expected to play Sunday and were likely just getting time off early in the week.

http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/ar..._news/11759302
Old 09-21-2012, 04:04 AM   #50
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,028 Times in 1,275 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

Get better Mendy and we will see you in week 5.