Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 09-04-2012, 03:18 PM   #1
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 22,856 Times in 9,337 Posts
My Mood: Dead
Default Steelers too OLD... here we go again

I listen to Colin Cowherd daily (hour & a half commute). He is usually pretty fair... and accurate. He respects the Steelers... has mentioned how he wishes that he grew up in Pittsburgh, so that he'd be a Steelers fan.

Anyway...

He was talking about the "window closing" for the Steelers, because they are getting old.

BB is an old 30 (I agree with that... but, even then, BB has 5 more years left in him).

Troy, Ryan Clark, & Ike Taylor are all over 30. (Again, I agree.)

Harrison is 32... and often injured. (Agreed)

Now... here is where he falls into the pitfall that other talking heads normally dive into. [I am surprised, because CC is usally more "researched" in hyis statements.]

Brett Keisel & Casey Hampton are over 30. (Cameron Hayward & Steve McClendon are young.)

Max Starks is over 30... and often injured. (I can kind of agree, but the rest of the O-line is young... and Mike Adams could still pan out.)

Heath Miller is 29 (Tight ends can play until they are 35; not worried.)

Let's look at the starters:

BB - 30
Heath - 29
Starks - 30
The Colon: 27
DD, Pouncey, Gilbert, & Adams: young, young, young, young.
Brown, Sanders, Wallace: young
RBs: All of them are young.

Troy, Clark, & Ike: 30+
Lewis, Allen, & Brown: young, young, young.
Harrison: 32
Woodley, Timmons: young
Spence/Sly: young
Heyward & Hood: young
McClendon & Ta'amu: young

I remember people worried when Greg Lloyd got cut (enter Jason Gildon). I remember when people worried that Gildon was too old (enter Joey Porter). I remember when Joey Porter got too old (enter James Harrison). Chris Carter has looked good... and gets better with every game/every day of coaching. Cortez Allen looks like Ike Taylor, part II. No one will ever replace Troy... but, then again, people also thought that no one could ever replace Carnell Lake.

Yes, some of the key names that we all know & love are getting old, but there are young, talented players aplenty, waiting in the wings.

BB is the only "irreplaceable" player... and, like I said, he has 5 more years left in him. Heck, I'd be fine with 3 more years: a three-peat, followed by retirement (at 33).
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 03:30 PM   #2
pancake
Head Coach

Member Number: 13552
My Mood: Yeehaw
Default Re: Steelers too OLD... here we go again

Steelers don't rebuild, they reload!
pancake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 03:31 PM   #3
Steelerfreak58
Team Captain

Member Number: 8080

Too old too slow yup yup yup yadda yadda yadda..... they gotta attempt to shoot the best D in the league down some how.
Old 09-04-2012, 04:11 PM   #4
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 7,452 Times in 3,111 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelerfreak58 View Post
Too old too slow yup yup yup yadda yadda yadda..... they gotta attempt to shoot the best D in the league down some how.
better offense this year will make it not necessary to have the best defense. but that will be a cherry on top

the only thing that concerns me about this team is how healthy we can stay. if we can avoid any major injuries this season we will be a championship contender
Fire Arians is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 04:45 PM   #5
FrancoLambert
Team President

Member Number: 20827
Thanked 1,735 Times in 903 Posts
My Mood: Amazed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Arians View Post
better offense this year will make it not necessary to have the best defense. but that will be a cherry on top

the only thing that concerns me about this team is how healthy we can stay. if we can avoid any major injuries this season we will be a championship contender
YES!!
With the offensive weapons we have this year, this could be the year when our O will be able to bail out the D on a consistent basis.

Wallace, Brown, Sanders, Cotch, Heath, Redman, Rainey, a healthy Mendy, mature Ben....if the O-line does its job and we stay healthy, watch out.
FrancoLambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 04:49 PM   #6
TheDoctorBeat
Water Boy

Member Number: 24282

Ryan Clark and Ike Taylor might be old in football years, but they've been pretty consistently healthy. They'll hold up for a few more years.

I'm worried about Troy though, he's been banged up pretty bad the past couple of years.
TheDoctorBeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 05:47 PM   #7
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 22,856 Times in 9,337 Posts
My Mood: Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Arians View Post

For this year... and the years upcoming, the offense will be betetr than the defense. BB is hitting his prime, and has some serious weapons at his disposal.

Health is a major factor... this year, and in the immediate future. BB has to stay healhty. A good O-line helps with this. DD coming back next year, helps with this. BB learning from Haley to throw more quickly (dump off to the RB), helps with this.
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 06:25 PM   #8
tanda10506
Team President

Member Number: 17319

. Doesn't matter how many young guys replace older players, the Steelers will be called old till every player that was around for the 2008 SB retires. It's the new in thing for commentators. When they start talking about the age of Baltimore like they do us might start gaining some credibility, as for now, it's becoming a cliche.
Old 09-04-2012, 06:41 PM   #9
GoFor7
Banned

Member Number: 24211

"Old, slow, and done..... that's what coach Gruden told me when Tampa Bay let me go in free agency."
- Warren Sapp
GoFor7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 11:32 PM   #10
jiminpa
Team Captain

Member Number: 20511

Quote:
Originally Posted by teegre View Post
I listen to Colin Cowherd daily (hour & a half commute). He is usually pretty fair... and accurate. He respects the Steelers... has mentioned how he wishes that he grew up in Pittsburgh, so that he'd be a Steelers fan.

Anyway...

He was talking about the "window closing" for the Steelers, because they are getting old.

BB is an old 30 (I agree with that... but, even then, BB has 5 more years left in him).

Troy, Ryan Clark, & Ike Taylor are all over 30. (Again, I agree.)

Harrison is 32... and often injured. (Agreed)

Now... here is where he falls into the pitfall that other talking heads normally dive into. [I am surprised, because CC is usally more "researched" in hyis statements.]

Brett Keisel & Casey Hampton are over 30. (Cameron Hayward & Steve McClendon are young.)

Max Starks is over 30... and often injured. (I can kind of agree, but the rest of the O-line is young... and Mike Adams could still pan out.)

Heath Miller is 29 (Tight ends can play until they are 35; not worried.)

Let's look at the starters:

BB - 30
Heath - 29
Starks - 30
The Colon: 27
DD, Pouncey, Gilbert, & Adams: young, young, young, young.
Brown, Sanders, Wallace: young
RBs: All of them are young.

Troy, Clark, & Ike: 30+
Lewis, Allen, & Brown: young, young, young.
Harrison: 32
Woodley, Timmons: young
Spence/Sly: young
Heyward & Hood: young
McClendon & Ta'amu: young

I remember people worried when Greg Lloyd got cut (enter Jason Gildon). I remember when people worried that Gildon was too old (enter Joey Porter). I remember when Joey Porter got too old (enter James Harrison). Chris Carter has looked good... and gets better with every game/every day of coaching. Cortez Allen looks like Ike Taylor, part II. No one will ever replace Troy... but, then again, people also thought that no one could ever replace Carnell Lake.

Yes, some of the key names that we all know & love are getting old, but there are young, talented players aplenty, waiting in the wings.

BB is the only "irreplaceable" player... and, like I said, he has 5 more years left in him. Heck, I'd be fine with 3 more years: a three-peat, followed by retirement (at 33).
I disagree about Ben being irreplaceable, to this extent, he can be replaced if enough effort is put into it, but it's not time yet. I just hope he can be coached now. We really haven't seen what he is capable of yet, if he will buy into an offense that will use him properly. He's had problems with that in the past.
jiminpa is offline   Reply With Quote