Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 09-07-2012, 07:01 PM   #1
LayingTheWoodley56
Starter

Member Number: 19023
Default Bill Simmons picking us to finish 6-10; talking heads doubting AGAIN

Same story, every ****ing year. The Steelers are too old. We're due for a downturn.

I would like to cordially extend a gigantic middle finger on behalf of all of Steeler Nation to the national media. EVERY YEAR they forget that the Pittsburgh Steelers are the best-run organization in the league; that we have a top-5 defense, year in, year out, no matter who is playing; that we have made it to the final round of the AFC playoffs in 8 of the last 18 seasons and won 2 Super Bowls since the almighty Patriots won one.

EVERY YEAR no one talks about us while they fawn over Tim ****ing Tebow, or the Eagles "dream team," or the Cowboys chances this year, or the five rookie quarterbacks at the helm this year, and we don't hear one word about our team because its not full of loudmouth, look-at-me idiot players and coaches. I've heard the same shit from multiple media members, picking us to finish third, this and that, our time is over.

Well, I say **** YOU! Gentleman, meet Ben Roethlisberger. He's a top-5 quarterback and has played in three Super Bowls. Now picture him surrounded by the kind of explosive talent on offense in Wallace, Sanders, Brown and Rainey that he has never had the chance to really work with, and look out. We will prove them all wrong, AGAIN.

It starts Sunday night a few minutes after 8:20. Fittingly, exactly zero people will be focused on the men in the white jerseys. No, it's all about Peyton and his comeback, right? Well, that's just the way we like it in Pittsburgh, baby. I can't wait.

(Think I'm excited for the season?)
LayingTheWoodley56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 07:10 PM   #2
Rick5895
Team President

Member Number: 5148
Default Re: Bill Simmons picking us to finish 6-10; talking heads doubting AGAIN

Who is Bill Simmons and why do we give a shit what he says!!??
Rick5895 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 07:12 PM   #3
skinart82
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 3485
Default Re: Bill Simmons picking us to finish 6-10; talking heads doubting AGAIN

I also used to get just as mad, but I know that they have no Fu*%ing clue what they're talking about. The Jets, Eagles and whatever other shit hole team they're blowing this week will flop and I'll laugh!
skinart82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 07:40 PM   #4
tanda10506
Team President

Member Number: 17319

Who is Bill Simmons? Normally I'm being sarcastic when I say that, but seriously, who is he?
Old 09-07-2012, 07:58 PM   #5
FrancoLambert
Team President

Member Number: 20827
Thanked 1,735 Times in 903 Posts
My Mood: Amazed

I think he's the douchebag who occasionally appears on PTI when they're really desperate for a co-host.
FrancoLambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 08:33 PM   #6
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,245 Times in 3,621 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanda10506 View Post
Who is Bill Simmons? Normally I'm being sarcastic when I say that, but seriously, who is he?
Usually ranked as the most widely read sports columnist in in America who has been with ESPN.com for around 10 years - probably the first major sports columnist to break out on the Internet rather than through print - also wrote #1 NYT bestseller The Book of Basketball - he is a writer and does PTI TV talking head type stuff given his popularity/clout at ESPN

He was a big factor in pushing ESPN to get into more sports documentaries by pushing the 30 for 30 series, and is successful enough that ESPN.com opened up Grantland on ESPN.com to encourage him to sign a new contract (the articles on the site often are very good) http://www.grantland.com/

Money is not the sole measure of success but apparently paid around $3 million per - this is not Pete Prisco or some guy blogging in his basement

More on him here

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/05/ma...pagewanted=all

Links to Simmons site on ESPN here

http://www.grantland.com/contributor...e/bill-simmons
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 11:36 PM   #7
austinfrench76
Head Coach

Member Number: 3516

Simmons also has a great podcast. He's pretty sharp, he's just wrong this time. No f'ing way we go 6-10 unleaa BB gets killed
austinfrench76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 11:37 PM   #8
tanda10506
Team President

Member Number: 17319

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
Usually ranked as the most widely read sports columnist in in America who has been with ESPN.com for around 10 years - probably the first major sports columnist to break out on the Internet rather than through print - also wrote #1 NYT bestseller The Book of Basketball - he is a writer and does PTI TV talking head type stuff given his popularity/clout at ESPN

He was a big factor in pushing ESPN to get into more sports documentaries by pushing the 30 for 30 series, and is successful enough that ESPN.com opened up Grantland on ESPN.com to encourage him to sign a new contract (the articles on the site often are very good) http://www.grantland.com/

Money is not the sole measure of success but apparently paid around $3 million per - this is not Pete Prisco or some guy blogging in his basement

More on him here

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/05/ma...pagewanted=all

Links to Simmons site on ESPN here

http://www.grantland.com/contributor...e/bill-simmons
Damn, I don't know how I have never heard of him before. Either way, 6-10 sounds ridiculous. I suppose if injuries continue at the current pace then we would be playing mostly 2nd stringers towards the end of the season, and if Ben leaves us for a game when we are playing a good team then that is going to be a loss, but that's all pretty hypothetical. 10-6 is the minimum this year IMO.
Old 09-08-2012, 01:28 AM   #9
jjpro11
Living Legend

Member Number: 3559

6-10 is crazy. I'd love to hear how he came up with that prediction unless he predicts Ben will go down with an injury early in the season. Since Ben was drafted, our worst season was 8-8... That was the 2006 season, dealing with the Super Bowl hangover. Cowher had one foot already out the door. Ben nearly died in the offseason, started the season with an emergency appendectomy, and was concussed midway through the season. That season was a train wreck.

This is essentially the same team as last year. We were in the driver's seat for the #1 seed until Ben had his knee rolled up on, and the wheels just fell off from there. For a team that has been as consistent as the Steelers over the past decade, I don't know how you can see 6-10 following back-to-back 12-4 seasons.
jjpro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 06:12 AM   #10
Millers the sh!t
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 22201
My Mood: Cheeky

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanda10506 View Post
Hes Richard simmons' flamboyant gay brother.