Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS
Closed Thread

Old 07-30-2006, 09:24 PM   #1
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,774 Times in 2,937 Posts
Default Holmes ready to get to work

good enough for me

http://news.steelers.com/article/66307/

Holmes ready to get to work
Saturday, July 29, 2006
By BOB LABRIOLA
Steelers.com

LATROBE, Pa. ? Santonio Holmes is anxious to get to work, and by all accounts, he has a lot to do.

On the field, Holmes has to catch up with the teammates who had the benefit of the coaching sessions that he was prohibited from attending by an NCAA rule. Off the field, Holmes has to learn to avoid the kinds of situations that resulted in him being arrested twice in the time since the Steelers made him their No. 1 draft pick in April.

Getting his contract worked out in time for him to be able to report with the rest of the players will help him with the football part; maturity and making better decisions will go a long way toward taking care of the rest.

"All of the stuff off the field has been put behind me, and it's good to be in camp on time, get my contract situated and get ready to perform with the team," said Holmes.

During a news conference on Saturday at St. Vincent College, Holmes was asked repeated questions about the two incidents, the second of which resulted in him being arrested for domestic violence. Holmes didn't apologize because he believes he is innocent of those charges, and he believes people eventually will discover that he's not a bad person.

"Things happen," said Holmes. "I'm a young guy stepping into a great deal of things that are ahead of me right now. I'm just looking forward to having a great career. I don't feel I have anything to prove to anybody. I just have to go out and show to the organization that I want to play football, and that's what I'm here for."

Steelers fans are very passionate about their favorite team, and Holmes has been an object of their criticism. When asked about that, Holmes defended himself.

"I haven't gotten any negative feedback from any fan I have seen around the city since I've been here, which is about a month and a half, so I don't think I have anything to say to those guys," said Holmes. "They know what I can do on the field, what type of person I am on and off the field. When I was a redshirt freshman at Ohio State, I would ask Coach Tressel if I could go and visit the kids at Children's Hospital. Only the veterans were able to go visit, but I was always one of the guys who'd ask if I could go and visit."

The quickest way for a professional athlete to rehabilitate his image is through his performance on the field. The Steelers are the defending champions, and as such they aren't desperate for help from any of their rookies, but if Holmes was able to make some of the same kinds of plays he did at Ohio State, that certainly would help.

"Whenever you draft a player in the first round, obviously you expect a lot from him," said Director of Football Operations Kevin Colbert. "Hopefully he can come in and compete and contribute, maybe as a receiver and maybe as a kick returner. The expectations are higher the higher you're picked, and he's no different along those lines."

Hines Ward and Cedrick Wilson open this camp as the starting wide receivers, and the battle for the remaining roster spots at this position figure to be fierce. Nate Washington looks to be a guy to be reckoned with; Sean Morey is an ace on special teams and showed up for this camp in great shape; Quincy Morgan and Lee Mays both have made big plays as Steelers; and then there are the rookies ? Holmes and third-round pick Willie Reid.

But for those who make the roster, there are plenty of roles to fill. The No. 3 receiver spot and the punt return job are open as a result of Antwaan Randle El's departure in free agency. The kickoff return job is open because Morgan ended last season on injured reserve.

There is opportunity, and Holmes helped himself by being here on time.

"It's important for any young player, for any new player in a system (to be here on time), because we have a veteran football team, we have a veteran staff," said Cowher. "The more comfortable you can become in that system, the faster you can play the game. It'll be good to have him here and every repetition he can get on the field will be to his benefit."

Holmes sounded as though he couldn't wait to get started.

"Have fun, get out there and play hard and hopefully win another Super Bowl," Holmes said when asked what he expects of himself as a rookie. "I'm not going to set any individual goals, because that would set myself aside from this team. My goal is to go and help this team win as many games as possible.

How can he do that?

"By being in practice every day, learning the schemes and the system, giving 110 percent every day in practice," said Holmes. "When game time comes around, don't drop passes, make big plays on the field."
Old 07-30-2006, 09:37 PM   #2
BIGBENFASTWILLIE
Living Legend

Member Number: 618
Default Re: Holmes ready to get to work

You know what.....I know its no excuse but.....If there was not a stupid rule that an NFL player can not attend any workout until he graduates then Holmes would not have been in the position to get arrested because he would have been in Pittsburgh....
Old 07-30-2006, 09:47 PM   #3
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009

I heard on his way up to Latrobe he wiped out a family of five, raped ten girls (all underage of course), shot the sheriff and the deputy and ran over a squirrel.

Last edited by 83-Steelers-43; 07-30-2006 at 09:59 PM.
Old 07-30-2006, 09:50 PM   #4
BIGBENFASTWILLIE
Living Legend

Member Number: 618

I think hes gonna be a starter this year and do great things for us....
Old 07-30-2006, 09:57 PM   #5
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478

Sure, Holmes has made a pretty poor start to his career in Pittsburgh.

But I have to question what more he can do at the moment to rectify his earlier mistakes ; I would say not a great deal.

He has plenty of potential mentors in a franchise built on a strong team ethic, and a stand up guy for a coach.

A season without any more disputes with the law and a solid work ethic should see him ok - any hopes of him being able to cancel out his earlier behaviour by catching a ton of TDs for a bunch of yardage is just as unlikely as it was right after he was drafted.

NM

Reason for Edit : To stop Tony H ridiculing me further.

Last edited by Livinginthe past; 07-30-2006 at 10:09 PM.
Old 07-30-2006, 10:04 PM   #6
tony hipchest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinginthe past

A season without any more disputes with the law and a solid work ethic should seem him ok - NM

Quote:
...what more is can do the moment to rectify his early mistakes, I would say not a great deal.

tha rock???
Old 07-30-2006, 10:07 PM   #7
tony hipchest

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83-Steelers-43
I heard on his way up to Latrobe he wiped out a family of five, raped ten girls (all underage of course), shot the sheriff and the deputy and ran over a squirrel.
we should be able to get a 1st rounder from the bengals for him then.
Old 07-30-2006, 10:07 PM   #8
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest
tha rock???
Ha ha.

That was a horrible effort I have to admit.

I shall go back and edit it.

NM
Old 07-30-2006, 10:22 PM   #9
BlackNGold203
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 1217

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest
we should be able to get a 1st rounder from the bengals for him then.

LMAO....

a 1st rounder and possibly a drug addict to be named later.....
Old 07-30-2006, 10:25 PM   #10
tony hipchest

Quote:
Ha ha.

That was a horrible effort I have to admit.

I shall go back and edit it.

NM
not to play board editor but i really had no idea the message that was being conveyed. broken english i guess
Closed Thread