Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers > Game Reporter

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 11-17-2013, 06:03 AM   #1
ricardisimo
Administrator

Member Number: 15369
Default Week 11 Gameday Thread: Lions @ Steelers 11/17/2013

The Detroit Lions are in sole possession of first place this late in the season for the first time in 14 years and have a parade of mostly losing teams left on their schedule.
The Pittsburgh Steelers are one of those opponents with a sub-.500 record, but their stellar pass defense has certainly caught the attention of Matthew Stafford and Calvin Johnson.
The Lions are also winless in their last nine trips to Pittsburgh and will try to end that slide Sunday against a Steelers team seeking a third straight home victory.
Detroit (6-3) took control of the NFC North with a 21-19 victory at Chicago last Sunday, moving one game ahead of the Bears and Green Bay. Seeking their first division title in 20 years, the Lions are in first this late in the season for the first time since they led the NFC Central after Week 10 in 1999.
"Being successful in this league is dealing with adversity and bouncing back, but it's increasingly becoming part of the scope of the NFL to deal with praise and to deal with the accolades and things like that," coach Jim Schwartz said. "It makes it difficult to stay level headed. It makes it difficult to stay even keeled throughout the course of a season."
The only team with a current winning record left on Detroit's schedule is Green Bay, which may not have Aaron Rodgers for that Thanksgiving matchup.
Much of the credit for the Lions' success goes to Stafford and Johnson. The quarterback is fourth in the NFL in TD passes (19) and yards (2,836) while Johnson is first in receiving yards per game (113.0) and tied for second in touchdown receptions with nine.
The Steelers (3-6) know they will see more of Johnson than they did the last time these teams met in Pittsburgh's 28-20 victory Oct. 11, 2009. Johnson had only a two-yard reception before leaving with a right knee injury.
"Johnson needs no endorsement from me," Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said. "He is the best wide receiver in the game and one of the best football players period regardless of position in the game of professional football.
"He's got over 900 yards receiving, he's got nine touchdowns through nine games. You can talk about ways to minimize his impact on the game, people, coverages, all of that's been done through nine games this year and he's still at about 100 yards per game and a touchdown per game. Obviously we're going to take our swing at it."
The Lions are wary of a Pittsburgh defense that is limiting opponents to 201.3 passing yards per game to tie for the league's fourth-best mark. The Steelers held Buffalo to an opponent season-low 227 total yards in last Sunday's 23-10 victory.
"Their defense is playing well," Stafford said. "They still have playmakers. They have guys that can get after the passes, guys that can pick it off. (Troy) Polamalu is still a big time playmaker. Got to be mentally ready for this game."
The Steelers won't have rookie safety Shamarko Thomas, out with a high ankle sprain. Linebacker LaMarr Woodley's status was downgraded to doubtful due to a left calf injury, but he's still holding out hope to play. Defensive end Brett Keisel is also questionable due to a foot injury as both missed practice Friday.
Being short-handed would pose new challenges for Hall of Fame defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau, whose entire playing career between 1959-72 was with Detroit.
"They have a lot of different looks," Stafford said. "Their coordinator is a great coordinator. Been a coordinator in this league for a long time and does a great job."
Detroit's last victory in Pittsburgh dates to before LeBeau's time with the club. The Lions have lost eight straight on the road in this series and also played a 10-10 tie there in 1959 since a 31-28 victory in the Steel City in 1955.
Pittsburgh brushed aside a bit of a distraction during last weekend's win when Ben Roethlisberger refuted a report that he would ask for a trade in the offseason.
"I don't know where that came from," he said. "It is one of the most (untrue) stories that I've ever heard of. I've always said that I want to be a Steeler for life. I love it here. I'm happy here."
Roethlisberger's 87.6 passer rating is his lowest in five seasons and he managed 204 yards passing against the Bills for his third-lowest total of the season. He has been sacked 35 times for the NFL's second-highest total.
The Steelers have shown signs of improvement with a running game that has topped 100 yards in three of their last four games. They still own the league's sixth-worst rushing attack at 80.6 yards per game as they face a Detroit front that features defensive tackles Ndamukong Suh and Nick Fairley and has held its last three opponents to a combined 157 yards running and 2.5 per attempt.
Buddha Bus (11-17-2013), GodfatherofSoul (11-17-2013), harrison'samonster (11-17-2013), Lady Steel (11-17-2013), seelerheartforever (11-17-2013)
Old 11-17-2013, 06:31 AM   #2
ricardisimo
Administrator

Member Number: 15369
Default Re: Week 11 Gameday Thread: Lions @ Steelers 11/17/2013

Game 10 matchup: Steelers vs. Lions

November 16, 2013 11:25 PM
By Gerry Dulac / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
When the Lions have the ball: The Lions have used their poor seasons to stock their roster with high No. 1 draft picks, and two of the most significant are WR Calvin Johnson and QB Matthew Stafford. They added another in the offseason when they signed RB Reggie Bush, the second overall pick in 2006. Bush leads the team with 633 yards rushing and is second with 34 catches and 343 yards. In the past three games, he has accounted for 329 total yards. Stafford is fourth in the league in yards passing (2,836) and touchdowns (19). He has been sacked only 10 times, fewest in the league, despite attempting 229 passes, seventh most in the league. Why? He makes good, quick decisions and releases the ball quickly. He has been intercepted seven times. The Steelers have only 16 sacks, fifth fewest in the league, and could be without OLB LaMarr Woodley (calf), who leads the team with five sacks. In addition to Johnson, who leads the NFL with 904 receiving yards, Stafford has two other targets who are 6-5 -- TE Brandon Pettigrew (31 catches) and WR Kris Durham (26 catches, 2 TDs).
When the Steelers have the ball: The Steelers faced young, aggressive fronts with the Jets and Bills but not as young and talented as the Lions' tackle tandem of Ndamukong Suh and Nick Fairley and rookie DE Ezekiel "Ziggy" Ansah. Along with DE Willie Young, the four-man front has 12 of the Lions' 15 sacks. Ben Roethlisberger has been sacked 35 times, second most in the NFL. The line plays the run on the way to the quarterback but still manages to rank eighth in the league in rush defense. Detroit has not allowed a team to rush for more than 62 yards in the past three games and is yielding an average of 2.45 yards per rush in that stretch. The Steelers haven't had a 100-yard rusher in 17 consecutive games. Suh leads the team with 4.5 sacks. Ansah has been playing football for only three years. OLB DeAndre Levy leads the team with five INTs, including a 66-yard TD return. The Lions are seventh in the NFC with 11 interceptions.
K David Akers ... The six-time Pro Bowl kicker is in his first season with the Lions after spending the previous two seasons with the San Francisco 49ers. Since 2000, Akers leads all active kickers in points (1,673) and field goals made (213). And last season he became the fourth player to kick a 63-yard field goal, tying the record for longest in NFL history. Akers is 2 for 2 from 50 yards and beyond this season, but he has missed four of 14 attempts between 30 and 49 yards.
The Lions, who have not won a division title of any kind since 1993, have won two in a row and lead the NFC North Division. But they have lost 11 of the past 13 meetings with the Steelers and have not won in Pittsburgh since Nov. 13, 1955, a stretch in which they are 0-8-1 in four stadiums (Forbes Field, Pitt Stadium, Three Rivers Stadium, Heinz Field). ... The only two times the Lions have beaten the Steelers in the past 50 years came on Thanksgiving Day in Detroit in 1983 and 1998. ... The Lions have just one playoff win in 11 postseason appearances since 1957. ... Overall, this is the 34th regular-season meeting between the two since 1934. The series is tied, 16-16-1.
To win, the Lions must ...
1. Get mega-plays from Megatron. The Steelers did a good job preventing big plays against the Bills, but they didn't have to worry about anyone like Johnson.
2. Be Fair(ley) good against the run. Their defensive tackles are a big reason the Lions have allowed an average of 52.3 yards rushing the past three games.
3. Ground Brown. They need to limit Steelers WR Antonio Brown, the NFL's leading receiver, especially on third down.
To win, the Steelers must ...
1. Push Bush. They don't want to put too much focus on stopping Johnson and ignore the Lions' all-purpose back.
2. Not play tall ball. Stafford will throw the ball up and let his trio of 6-foot-5 receivers make plays down the field.
3. Keep Rashean from shining. Mathis has tortured the Steelers over the years, intercepting six passes and returning three for touchdowns.
Buddha Bus (11-17-2013), GodfatherofSoul (11-17-2013), harrison'samonster (11-17-2013), Lady Steel (11-17-2013)
Old 11-17-2013, 07:24 AM   #3
harrison'samonster
Living Legend

Member Number: 17630
Thanked 9,046 Times in 3,730 Posts
My Mood: Mellow

Here we go Steelers!
have you ever wondered what your life would have been like if you became a hired goon right out of school? you would have had a chance to learn the ropes from other goons and rub shoulders with all kinds of seedy characters. oh the stories you would be able to tell.
harrison'samonster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to harrison'samonster For This Useful Post:
Buddha Bus (11-17-2013), Lady Steel (11-17-2013)
Old 11-17-2013, 08:44 AM   #4
Lady Steel
Queen Bee
Supporter

Member Number: 16396
Thanked 5,798 Times in 2,220 Posts
My Mood: Angelic

Lady Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Lady Steel For This Useful Post:
Buddha Bus (11-17-2013), Galax Steeler (11-17-2013), harrison'samonster (11-17-2013), SteelersCanada (11-17-2013)
Old 11-17-2013, 08:47 AM   #5
Buddha Bus
Piss Monkey
Supporter

Gotta admit this game makes me nervous. We'll have our hands full with Megatron and Stafford. I hope our offense is ready for a shootout.

Go Steelers!

I wave my private parts at your aunties, you heaving lot of second-hand electric donkey bottom biters.
Buddha Bus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Buddha Bus For This Useful Post:
Galax Steeler (11-17-2013), harrison'samonster (11-17-2013), Lady Steel (11-17-2013)
Old 11-17-2013, 09:56 AM   #6
FrancoLambert
Team President

Member Number: 20827
Thanked 1,677 Times in 871 Posts
My Mood: Doubtful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddha Bus View Post
Gotta admit this game makes me nervous. We'll have our hands full with Megatron and Stafford. I hope our offense is ready for a shootout.

Go Steelers!
And for our offense to be ready, the O-line has to be ready.

That's the matchup that worries me the most
FrancoLambert is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FrancoLambert For This Useful Post:
Buddha Bus (11-17-2013), harrison'samonster (11-17-2013)
Old 11-17-2013, 10:54 AM   #7
SteelCurtain5643
Team Captain

Member Number: 12838

Woodley, Keisel and Foster all out....this oughta be a fun game -_-
SteelCurtain5643 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SteelCurtain5643 For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (11-17-2013)
Old 11-17-2013, 10:56 AM   #8
ff1085
Water Boy

Member Number: 1006

need onlink for the game? can anyone help me out?
ff1085 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 11:14 AM   #9
Lady Steel
Queen Bee
Supporter

Member Number: 16396
Thanked 5,798 Times in 2,220 Posts
My Mood: Angelic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ff1085 View Post
need onlink for the game? can anyone help me out?
Send a PM to an administrator who is online and one will be provided to you. They keep that stuff locked up.
Lady Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lady Steel For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (11-17-2013)
Old 11-17-2013, 11:18 AM   #10
sluggermatt15
Team Captain

Member Number: 20316

All right, guys! Ready for another week of Steelers football, win or lose!!! I am anxious to see this game because Detroit has not won in Pittsburgh since 1955. Quick, someone name where the Steelers played in 1955... Forbes Field! A venue that no longer exists.

GO STEELERS!!!

EDIT: Plus, I'm looking forward to seeing those throwback unis. Hail the "bumblebee" uniforms! LOL
sluggermatt15 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sluggermatt15 For This Useful Post:
Buddha Bus (11-17-2013), harrison'samonster (11-17-2013), Lady Steel (11-17-2013)