Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers > Game Reporter

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 11-09-2013, 10:33 PM   #1
ricardisimo
Administrator

Member Number: 15369
Default Week 10 Gameday Thread: Bills @ Steelers 11/10/2013

While Pittsburgh Steelers coach Mike Tomlin is looking for something to turn around his team's disappointing season, the Buffalo Bills hope rookie quarterback EJ Manuel is healthy enough to help them get back on track.
Both teams will be trying to avoid a third straight defeat when the Steelers look to continue their dominance over the visiting Bills on Sunday.
Since reaching 6-3 with a 16-13 overtime win over Kansas City on Nov. 12, Pittsburgh (2-6) has lost 11 of 15. The Steelers might have bottomed out last Sunday when they were outscored 31-7 down the stretch of a 55-31 loss at New England.
"We're here to win," Tomlin said. "That's our charge, that's our job, that's our passion. We're not getting it done consistently to this point. So, that's irritating and frustrating."
New England's point total was the highest allowed by the Steelers in their storied history.
"I think we're all angry and disappointed," said Ben Roethlisberger, who passed for 400 yards and four touchdowns but committed three turnovers. "That's probably collectively what's in this locker room."
Tomlin is not opposed to making lineup changes, and already benched receiver Antonio Brown for a series last week after a blown assignment led to an interception. The Steelers did sign second-year cornerback DeMarcus Van Dyke this week, but more as insurance if Ike Taylor is unable to play because of a concussion suffered last Sunday.
"You re-evaluate everything," Tomlin said. "You have to after a performance like (last weekend) and we will. It doesn't necessarily mean we will change or change for the sake of changing, but we will look at every aspect of what we are doing and who we are doing it with."
Veteran safeties Troy Polamalu and Ryan Clark were often victimized by Tom Brady, who threw for 432 yards and four touchdowns. Tomlin, however, expects to stick with both considering Pittsburgh ranks fourth in the league with 210.0 passing yards allowed per game.
"I've got a great deal of confidence in them and their abilities to play and play winning football for us," he said.
Pittsburgh, however, is 31st in rush defense with an average of 131.3 yards after yielding 197 apiece to Oakland and New England in the last two weeks.
Stopping the run may not prove any easier against Buffalo (3-6), which ranks seventh with 145.8 yards per game on the ground after running for a season-high 241 in a 23-13 loss to Kansas City last week. C.J. Spiller gained 116 yards on 12 carries and Fred Jackson added 77 on 16 attempts.
Buffalo outgained Kansas City 470-210, but the undefeated Chiefs scored twice on defense. Bills rookie Jeff Tuel was picked off by Sean Smith, who returned it 100 yards for a touchdown that tied the game in the third quarter. Tamba Hali then returned receiver T.J. Graham's fumble 11 yards for a score to give the Chiefs a 20-13 lead early in the fourth.
The Bills have committed three turnovers in each of the last two games after totaling three in the previous three contests.
"Turnovers," coach Doug Marrone said. "It always comes down to that first."
Buffalo's offense might run smoother under Manuel, who appears ready to start Sunday after missing four weeks with a sprained right knee. Backup Thad Lewis, 1-2 as a starter this season, is also apparently ready to return after missing last week with bruised ribs.
Manuel, the first-round pick who is seen as the team's future, has completed 56.7 percent of his passes with five TDs and three interceptions while going 2-3.
"Definitely looking forward to getting into practice full course and taking as many reps as coach allows me to get," Manuel said.
Inexperience at quarterback is a big reason why the Bills rank last in the NFL with a 55.4 completion percentage. Their three QBs have been sacked 28 times.
"I think any time you have inconsistency back there it's going to make it tough, or adverse," Jackson said. "You want to be consistent. You want to have somebody back there that's steady throughout the season. And that helps you grow as an offense. Not having that I think it definitely has played a role in us having some ups and downs."
Whoever is under center might not have receivers Robert Woods and Marquise Goodwin as options after both were injured last Sunday.
Buffalo has dropped four straight and eight of nine to the Steelers, including playoffs. The Bills, who last played in Pittsburgh in 2007, are 2-9 there and have been outscored 136-40 during a five-game regular-season and playoff road skid in the series.
Jackson had a 65-yard touchdown reception, but Pittsburgh's Shaun Suisham kicked four field goals in a 19-16 overtime win in the latest meeting Nov. 28, 2010.
harrison'samonster (11-10-2013)
Old 11-09-2013, 10:34 PM   #2
ricardisimo
Administrator

Member Number: 15369
Default Re: Week 10 Gameday Thread: Bills @ Steelers 11/10/2013

Traditionally speaking, a trip to Pittsburgh has been the last thing a Buffalo Bills team would seek as a "get-well" mission. But as the losses and the record-setting defensive lapses continue to pile up in the Steel City in 2013, it's becoming quite apparent that these are not the traditional Steelers.
So when Buffalo heads to Heinz Field for a Week 10 showdown this Sunday, it'll do so feeling like it can exorcise the demons from a particularly unsatisfying Week 9.
The Bills head to Western Pennsylvania following a home loss to the still- unbeaten Kansas City Chiefs in which the hosts outgained the visitors by more than a 2-to-1 margin, 470-210, but still managed to lose the game by a double- digit margin, 23-13.
Buffalo ran for 241 yards and got 229 in the air from reserve quarterback Jeff Tuel, but saw a pair of turnovers immediately converted into points when Sean Smith took an interception 100 yards for a touchdown and Tamba Hali scooped up a fumble and went in from 11 yards for another that broke a fourth-quarter tie.
It was a significant departure from recent script for the Bills, who'd had three turnovers in a three-game stretch before losing the ball three times in each of the last two games.
"Turnovers. It always comes down to that first," coach Doug Marrone said.
The offense presumably gets its leader back this week in the form of rookie quarterback EJ Manuel, who'd missed four games since spraining his right knee against Cleveland. His initial backup, Thaddeus Lewis, was 1-2 as a starter and seemed comfortable in the role, but missed last week after sustaining a rib injury in Week 8.
Manuel is 2-3 in five starts with five TD passes and three interceptions.
"Any time you have inconsistency back there it's going to make it tough, or adverse," running back Fred Jackson said. "You want to be consistent. You want to have somebody back there that's steady throughout the season. And that helps you grow as an offense. Not having that I think it definitely has played a role in us having some ups and downs."
Buffalo got 116 yards in 12 carries from C.J. Spiller against the Chiefs and 77 more on 16 attempts from Jackson, pushing its per-game run average to 145.8 yards - seventh-best in the NFL.
"(I'm) definitely looking forward to getting into practice full course and taking as many reps as coach allows me to get," Manuel said.
A rookie quarterback with four weeks of rust is surely a welcome sight for the Steelers after last weekend, when they were riddled for 432 yards and four touchdowns in a 55-31 loss to veteran Tom Brady and his New England Patriots.
The loss was their sixth in eight games this season and their 11th in 15 overall since beginning 2012 with a 6-3 mark. That run ended in an 8-8 finish and this year's squad - barring a significant change in momentum - will give Pittsburgh its first sub-.500 finish since 2003.
"We're here to win," coach Mike Tomlin said. "That's our charge. That's our job. That's our passion. We're not getting it done consistently to this point. So that's irritating and frustrating."
The Patriots' point total was the highest for a foe in franchise history.
"We're all angry and disappointed," quarterback Ben Roethlisberger said. "That's probably collectively what's in this locker room."
Roethlisberger passed for 400 yards and four TDs, but also committed three turnovers. One of his wide receivers, Antonio Brown, was benched for a series after an interception resulted from his blown assignment.
On defense, Pittsburgh signed a new cornerback, DeMarcus Van Dyke, as a possible need-based replacement for veteran Ike Taylor, who's questionable after a concussion.
The Steelers remain fourth in the league against the pass - allowing 210 yards per game - but they're also second to last against the run among 32 teams after surrendering nearly 200 to both Oakland and the Patriots in two weeks.
"You re-evaluate everything," Tomlin said. "You have to after a performance like (the one against New England) and we will. It doesn't necessarily mean we will change or change for the sake of changing, but we will look at every aspect of what we are doing and who we are doing it with."
WHAT TO WATCH FOR
Running down a dream.
The Steelers defense has become especially porous as of late when it comes to stopping the run. Of particular concern is the success had by mobile quarterback Terrelle Pryor two weeks ago, considering that the Bills' Manuel possesses a similar skill set to Pryor, along with quality weapons in Spiller, Jackson and Stevie Johnson.
Shoring up the right side.
Lining up across from Mario WIlliams and his 11 sacks is challenging enough for the sturdiest of offensive linemen. But when the right side of the line is dinged up - tackle Marcus Gilbert is questionable with an ankle injury and guard David DeCastro is probable with an ankle issue of his own - it's a significant concern for Roethlisberger.
OVERALL ANALYSIS
The Bills haven't been automatic over anyone since the days of Jim Kelly and Marv Levy, and they're hardly a lead-pipe cinch here, but based on how close they've been to success and how far the Steelers appear to be from finding it consistently, there seems a good chance for them to swipe one on the road here..

Sports Network predicted outcome: Bills 24, Steelers 21
Old 11-10-2013, 11:04 AM   #3
Lady Steel
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 16396
Thanked 6,675 Times in 2,546 Posts
My Mood: Amused

Obviously, I love my Pittsburgh Steelers win or lose, but this is funny. It's getting ridiculous out there.

I want a win over the Bills. LET'S GO, BOYS!
Lady Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Lady Steel For This Useful Post:
fer522 (11-10-2013), GBMelBlount (11-10-2013), harrison'samonster (11-10-2013), pczach (11-10-2013)
Old 11-10-2013, 11:06 AM   #4
GBMelBlount
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 5140
Thanked 2,067 Times in 946 Posts

The bees nest is stirred up.

All eyes will be on Pittsburgh.

I'm looking for a win and some big plays from the Steelers today.

~ 3 Doors Down

GBMelBlount is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GBMelBlount For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (11-10-2013), Lady Steel (11-10-2013)
Old 11-10-2013, 11:25 AM   #5
Lady Steel
Living Legend
Supporter

The Following User Says Thank You to Lady Steel For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2013, 11:41 AM   #6
harrison'samonster
Living Legend

Member Number: 17630
Thanked 11,702 Times in 4,680 Posts
My Mood: Tired

here we go Steelers!
harrison'samonster is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to harrison'samonster For This Useful Post:
Lady Steel (11-10-2013)
Old 11-10-2013, 12:56 PM   #7
Edman
Living Legend

Member Number: 3261
My Mood: Brooding

Look at all of those Yellow Seats.

The blowout loss really destroyed the psyche of the fans.
Edman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 12:59 PM   #8
BritishSteel
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 878

Well, it's been a shitty weekend so far (thanks a lot Sunderland) but it ends here.

Wagen (11-10-2013)
Old 11-10-2013, 12:59 PM   #9
Lady Steel
Living Legend
Supporter

It's 39 degrees in my neck of western Pennsylvania, and it's sleeting/drizzling/snow flurrying. Gonna be cold at the stadium. Brrr.

HERE WE GO!
Old 11-10-2013, 01:01 PM   #10
pczach
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24694
Thanked 9,926 Times in 3,841 Posts

Time to get this train back on the tracks!

pczach is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pczach For This Useful Post:
BritishSteel (11-10-2013), Lady Steel (11-10-2013)