Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 09-10-2012, 06:02 AM   #1
Ricco Suavez
Head Coach

Member Number: 7718
Default Thoughts on the game.

For everyone who thought Haley would wave a magic wand and return the Steelers to its glory days of smash mouth football, then last night should prepare you for the truth. The truth is we do not have the O-line right now to open holes to pound it down anyone's throat. The Steelers made an effort in this draft to improve but with Decastro out and Adams needing some seasoning we look to be as bad offensively as last years version.

The talk of ball control bears no weight with what I saw last night, since we led the league last year with a "pass happy offense". Points are what we lacked last year not offense and we did not put up any more in this first game. Honestly I was not impressed with our offense during pre-season, but it being pre-season i was not concedrned as i thought they were playing it close to the vest. But if Haley continues to call games in this fashion, we will not be as productive as last year.

The running game is ineffective the way it is being used right now. Runs dominated our calls on 1st and 2nd down leaving the team in 3rd and long, which did Ben and his receivers no favors. The offense did pretty good in converting those 3rd downs with Ben being something like 9-11 on third down with 8 conversions at one time in the fourth quarter. Another thing is on first and goal from the three we call 3 straight pass plays. The shorter the field the harder it is to pass, where's the logic .

The defense was without two starters, key starters. But when Peyton went to the no huddle he sliced us up, with all day to throw the secondary had no chance at all. We DID look old and slow. I thought McClendon should of seen the field more with his youth and speed. If the offense does not improve we need the defense to play better, if the defense plays like last night then the offense has to improve quick.

I thought Miller looked good and hope he can run more routes and not have to stay in for protection. I thought Ben looked good for the most part other than missing a wide open Miller and forcing some tight throws that should of resulted in ints. I thought Wallace played well considering his lack of practice.

Finally, I will say this. Its only the first game and we lost last years opener and looked much worst. I think that a lot of the Steeler faithful felt our troubles were behind us with Arians gone, I cautioned these sentiments in earlier posts that I felt we would have some growing pains with a new OC. I think we can be good, but what I saw was the same thing that held us back last year, stupid penalties, poor line play, some easy throws not made, and some easy catches juggled or dropped by our backs. A loss to Denver in Denver with a "Peyton love fest" on national TV was not what we wanted to see, but the sky is not falling yet. We do have work to do though.
Ricco Suavez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 06:48 AM   #2
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 3,685 Times in 1,768 Posts
My Mood: Fine
Default Re: Thoughts on the game.

Thank you. This was a very fair assessment, and pretty much spot on with my opinions after last night's loss.

I can def see what Haley is trying to do with the ball control, and keeping Ben upright. I was a little frustrated because I thought we could have taken a couple more risks on 1st and 2nd down. Maybe you are right, maybe we are trying to protect against our deficiencies on the line.

I am not one to make excuses, but I don't think any team's fan base would have liked walking into last night's scenario. I still thought we would have walked away with a close win - which, it looked like it might have played out that way before the pick 6. That was just a fantastic play. I have to give props to Denver - I won't crown them with anything, but if they keep that up, they are legit contenders.

The sky is not falling, but I agree - lots of work to do. Let's get this bad taste out of our mouth next week . . .

Look into my eyes
SF Haters
steelfury02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 06:57 AM   #3
TRH
Living Legend

Member Number: 17206

some thoughts i had..
-both the offense and the defense looked VERY, very slow...sluggish. Nevermind ball control, if you play like that, you'll never win
-at one point, it looked as if Ben is going to play every down of the season in the shotgun
-when we hired Haley, everybody thought we would run more, but i actually thought we would now pass MORE..not less....and that certainly looks to be the case
-why can't this defense produce turnovers???? It's mindboggling and frustrating (and this goes back through last year) how awful they are at the INT/fumble game. Its like they're not even trying.
-this defense continues to give up the big plays. The elite QB's of the league are just salivating to play the Steelers
-the offensive line that we did have playing couldn't open a hole to save their lives. When we did run, our RB's kept running straight into a pile of our own clumped-up guys....it looked horrible
-Tomlin better get some better help upstairs. He should have never wasted a time-out and challenged that one play...and had plenty of time to get word from someone in the booth that it was clearly never going to be reversed
TRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 07:01 AM   #4
Bayz101
Renegade
Supporter

Member Number: 18856
Thanked 3,596 Times in 1,620 Posts
My Mood: Tired

Offense put points on the board and drained the clock, and our defense allowed Denver to do the same in less than half the time. Our coverage unit without Clark is god-awful, and I really liked Haley's gameplan. Certainly not going to question it in week one.

"Either you're playing dumb, or it's not an act". -Judge Judy

No need to drive me crazy. I can walk from here.
Bayz101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 07:02 AM   #5
beer72
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 3508

My opinion ditto yours.. This run run pass sh*t has got to go. Once we started mixing it up we looked like a very good football team. Except Ben throwing a bad pick we could have won a very close game.
beer72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 07:07 AM   #6
defence
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 19128

You are pretty bang on with your assessment. to be really honest; I'm not too worried about the offence. I'm pretty sure Haley will mix things up and won't always run on first and second downs. Now if we start talking of our defence. I'm very worried. After our offence went on a time consuming scoring drive; the d pretty well craps in there pants in 40 seconds. That's a game changer; deflates the team. But as I was commenting last year because this is what they were doing last year; they needed a change on that side of the ball. This d had all the rankings; 1st this and that. When they need to make a play; they can't. That's the way i see it. Let's see how the offence runs when Mendy is back running because they REALLY need a back because the other 2 are definately not the answer.
defence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 07:36 AM   #7
Fire Haley
Banned

Member Number: 763
Thanked 1,098 Times in 768 Posts

I told you we should have started Dwyer

Ben had to throw 40 times because Redman sucked, but the linemen couldn't last one night of Ben's scramble drills without more knees collapsing - we are spent on the OL

the "new" offense looked clunky because you knew the 3 step drop dink and dunk would only last so long - but Ben ignored the easy open throws and fired it into coverage too many times, Heath was there wide open in the EZ and Ben shanked it
Fire Haley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 07:39 AM   #8
Fire Haley
Banned

Member Number: 763
Thanked 1,098 Times in 768 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayz101 View Post
Offense put points on the board and drained the clock, and our defense allowed Denver to do the same in less than half the time

Time of possession don't mean squat when your defense is a sieve. We're seeing the worst DL we've had in the last 10 years...+ CB's that can't tackle.

What a mess.
Fire Haley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 08:06 AM   #9
xbroughneck
Team Captain

Member Number: 5743

Chris Carter and Ryan Mundy are not playmakers...and it was obvious last night.
Old 09-10-2012, 08:12 AM   #10
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 3,685 Times in 1,768 Posts
My Mood: Fine

at this point, I'm just wanting to get on with wk 2. My main concern at this point, is the defense being able to make a huge play in a huge game. I've spent too many seasons and energy into summarizing a team after 1 performance. Lots of work to do. I just have to hope that Wk 2 win will temper some negative vibes. Put it this way - it could have been an utterly embarrassing shellacking like opening game last season and if I had it my way, we would have played Denver at home for once.

I said not to underestimate Peyton's abilities and thought all along that Denver's D is underrated. If Denver keeps that up, they are legit contenders. I thought the situational differences summarized this game - just look at the 2 pt conversion attempts. They looked more comfortable in general, we didn't.

I agree with corners to an extent. Although I have more beef with Allen.

Look into my eyes
SF Haters

Last edited by steelfury02; 09-10-2012 at 08:12 AM. Reason: additional comment
steelfury02 is offline   Reply With Quote