Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 09-10-2012, 07:19 AM   #1
LayingTheWoodley56
Starter

Member Number: 19023
Default Where has our stout run D gone?

Since I've been a diehard Steeler fan ('01 when I was like 11 years old), I've never known our run defense to be anything less than an impenetrable wall of defenders. Because of that mindset, I was stunned to see how powerless the guys were last night to stop McGahee or Moreno at the line, behind it, or for minimal game. It's partially because Hood/Heyward/McClendon/old Case/Keisel aren't Smith/Keisel/Hoke/young Case, at least not yet. Who knows if they will ever achieve the stellar level of their predecessors, though.

Chris Carter didn't seem to be much of a factor. Timmons whiffed and took bad angles on a number of big plays. I really don't know what to think of him anymore. Foote actually seemed to be one of our more effective defensive players last night.

That being said, we looked a helluva lot better than we did week 1 last year, and though it ended prematurely we still managed to win 12 ballgames last year. Let's hold off on any snap judgements before we all have to be talked off the ledge. Another game next week, let's get 'em then.
LayingTheWoodley56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 07:32 AM   #2
Bayz101
Renegade
Supporter

Member Number: 18856
Thanked 3,129 Times in 1,431 Posts
Default Re: Where has our stout run D gone?

I agree. We certainly seem to be fizzling out defensively. Maybe our Super Bowl defense of '08 has spoiled us? THAT was the Steelers defense that I learned to love. Give it a couple weeks. Once Woodley is heated up and Harrison is back, we should be better.

"Either you're playing dumb, or it's not an act". -Judge Judy

No need to drive me crazy. I can walk from here.
Bayz101 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 07:33 AM   #3
Fire Haley
Banned

Member Number: 763
Thanked 1,093 Times in 764 Posts

Weakest DL we've had in the last 10 years, they got punked, couldn't stop the run or pass and Peyton made LeBeau his bitch. Blitzburgh my ass.
Fire Haley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 08:03 AM   #4
vball
Water Boy

Member Number: 18695

I thought Chris Carter played a poor game. I saw a few plays where I thought if Harrison was in, that would have been stopped for no gain. He was out of position and not in his gap on those plays.

was expecting hood to be a monster from the preseason reports but it didn't happen.
vball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 08:19 AM   #5
steelfury02
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 2,861 Times in 1,377 Posts

Peyton was able to attack at will, and as the analysts said, I think people can stop questioning if he is his old self or not - he was the field general out there, plain and simple. I would tell any fan of team on their schedule to not take them lightly. That team and its fans have a right to be excited. They'll have a few bumps like any other team, which is why I'm trying so hard not to summarize our Steelers just yet.

You are right, coming into the lion's den, it could have been worse. Bayz - that 08' defense set the bar ridiculously high. I think we can all agree that we would love to have the clutchness and splash-play making abilities of that squad. That is a top 5 Steelers D of all time IMHO.

There are going to be plenty of teams looking at last night's tape and feeling like they might have a shot at attacking a potentially soft middle, and around the edges. I'm a little concerned, but just going to call them a work in progress.

BRING ON WEEK 2.

Insanity or In-sahn-naha-teh
is what the the Iro-quois used
meaning "severe personnel problems".
Look it up. No? No, I'm right.
Agree to disagree.
steelfury02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 08:37 AM   #6
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 4,845 Times in 2,099 Posts

denver had 27 rushes for 94 yards. about 3 yards per carry. longest run was 12 yards with another for 11 yards.

our run defense was stout against one of the best running teams from last year.

demaryius thomas beat us, then we beat ourself with an interception trying to play catch up.
Old 09-10-2012, 08:41 AM   #7
Steelers>NFL
Team Captain
Supporter

Member Number: 15311

On the flip side, I thought Foote played well. Not great. But well. Better than Farrior has played the last 2 years.
Foote is a solid player.
Steelers>NFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 08:42 AM   #8
cubanstogie
Head Coach

Member Number: 3082

Run D was fine until the last 2 or 3 series. Altitude could have been factor as well as injuries.
cubanstogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 08:55 AM   #9
tburhans
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 18473

There is no excuse for the defense to have played so poorly. The offend had long drives so they had plenty of time to rest and come out and give up a td in two plays is pathetic. I know they played without james and clark but we have several other good players who made no plays last night. Woodley and troy did nothing. Timmons missing tackles and taking bad angles. Dline didn't move an olinemen back all night. Ike got beat by thomas again and lewis got beat by everybody he covered. Cortez allen not much better than lewis. Back to the drawing board for lebeau. hopefully they make some adjustments and play with some pride
tburhans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 10:14 AM   #10
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 1,321 Times in 659 Posts

Run D wasnt bad, but it really looked weak at the end of the game. I still believe the triangle of Hampton, Foote, Timmons up the middle is a weakness. Foote played well in coverage and rushing, but isnt consistently strong to plug those gaps. Timmons was non-existant and Hampton/McLendon were OK, but the Broncos got angles on them.