Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 09-10-2012, 07:55 AM   #1
Fire Haley
Banned

Member Number: 763
Thanked 1,093 Times in 764 Posts
Default Tomlinís Post-Game Comments

fresh off the presses...

That is a tough defeat, as they all are. That was a tough, hard-fought game. Just in a nutshell I thought they made the significant plays in the second half of the football game, particularly down the stretch, really kind of in all three phases. We lacked the significant play, the game defining play. They made them. Obviously when that happens you are going to lose football games like we did tonight. We accept that; we acknowledge that. We have to get better and get better in a hurry. We have a new challenge facing us in about six and a half days.

Can you talk about the injuries to Ramon Foster and Marcus Gilbert?
Ramon had an eye injury of some kind. He is being evaluated as we speak. Marcus just hyper-extended his knee. Hopefully that wonít be serious. Weíll see.

Can you talk about the ability to possess the ball?
That was our intensions in terms of how we worked. We needed to possess the ball. We needed to get stops. Time of possession is just that. When you look at the scoreboard they got it done, we didnít. The plan didnít come to fruition.

Can you talk about the decision to challenge the play near the goal line?
I didnít know whether the ball came out or not. They were in a hurry-up mode. You are not getting that information quickly in hostile environments. I thought it was worthy of a timeout right there to see for ourselves. Obviously he didnít fumble the ball so they maintained possession and then they went in and scored.

Were you able to see it?
Someone did. Thatís why it was given to me.

You ran the no-huddle Ė was that the plan?
We had planned to do that. Not specifically how it unfolded, but game circumstances change things sometimes. I was comfortable with the no-huddle attack and what we were doing in it, just not enough significant plays made particularly down the stretch.

Did their no-huddle cause you some problems?
We didnít make significant plays, third down plays, plays that get you off the field. They did. They didnít have many third down opportunities. I think they were five or six of nine, something like that. We just didnít make enough football plays. You have to give credit to them. They did, they executed.

Peyton Manning has been away for a year. What did you think of his performance?
He is Peyton.

http://blog.steelers.com/2012/09/10/...me-comments-2/
----------------------

Time of possession don't mean squat when your defense is a sieve.

Ben on the pick 6

"I should have called time out," Roethlisberger said. "The play clock was running down, and I hate to burn time outs, but I should have because we were kind of all over the place."

"There's no one to blame but myself. I already told my teammates and coaches, it's my fault and it's on me. That loss is squarely on my shoulders."
Fire Haley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 08:02 AM   #2
steelfury02
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 2,856 Times in 1,375 Posts
Default Re: Tomlinís Post-Game Comments

If I could take one positive from last night's loss, it would be that I see a new direction for the offense and Ben as a leader. To me, it looks like Ben wants to become a true commander out there and purposeful ball possession is the theme - at least there seems to be a plan for this offense, an identity. Except for taking a couple of more shots on 1st and 2nd down, I like where this COULD be heading. The O-line situation is enough to put any fan in tears.

Somebody in the o-line unit must have some sort of inherited curse or something that requires nothing short of raising and protecting Damien lol. Seriously, how many more freakin shuffling can we do? Dangit - I shouldn't have even said that.

Just based off last night's performance, I'd say heading into week 2, the defense is of moderate concern.

Insanity or In-sahn-naha-teh
is what the the Iro-quois used
meaning "severe personnel problems".
Look it up. No? No, I'm right.
Agree to disagree.
steelfury02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 08:20 AM   #3
Fire Haley
Banned

The offense will figure itself out.

The defense on the other hand - Peyton made LeBeau his bitch, so yeah, that's a problem. Troy got caught cheating at the LOS again in one of those 'dialed up blitzes', and let in another 70 yd TD.

Worst DL ever too- a bunch of schmoes - - can we get Aaron Smith to un-retire?
Old 09-10-2012, 08:26 AM   #4
steelfury02
Living Legend
Supporter

You can call me dumb if you'd like - is there a reason Why Troy either played so deep, or right on the line? I was wondering if there was a way to sort of split the difference and try not to make his intentions so predictable . . .? Thoughts?

Agree to disagree.
Old 09-10-2012, 08:42 AM   #5
Fire Haley
Banned

Every team in the league will be running the no-huddle against the Steelers, I see the Ravens are practicing it already - the days of teams fearing Blitzburgh are over - they are soft up front and living off reputation now...two blitzes schemes up the middle scare no one when everyone and their brother runs the 3-4.
Old 09-10-2012, 08:43 AM   #6
Kanata-Steeler
Team President

Member Number: 15552

Toonlin's Comments were: "Well, I take all blame for our loss, There's no one to blame but myself, It's all my fault, maybe I should have ...."

Manning's Bio-Robotic Surgeon's Comments were: Well, Peyton Manning is better than before, I have built him into a lean, mean, fighting machine, very similar to The Terminator, ..., and umm, thankyou very much, and I hope everyone will continue to enjoy watching him."
Kanata-Steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 09:27 AM   #7
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 4,845 Times in 2,099 Posts

tomlin needs one of those little cheat sheets that tell coaches WHEN to go for 2. he is horrible in this regard. with tons of time left you kick the extra point and bring the game within 6 (2 fg's). you dont need to try and make it a 7 point game.

he needs a better set of eyes telling him when to challenge. if there is any doubt, dont throw the red sack.
Old 09-10-2012, 09:29 AM   #8
steelfury02
Living Legend
Supporter

yes, certainly don't need to waste a valuable TO, we had 2 left in the end I believe, but if you aren't certain, live to fight another day

Shoulda woulda coulda I guess . . .

Agree to disagree.
Old 09-10-2012, 10:10 AM   #9
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 1,319 Times in 659 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelfury02 View Post
You can call me dumb if you'd like - is there a reason Why Troy either played so deep, or right on the line? I was wondering if there was a way to sort of split the difference and try not to make his intentions so predictable . . .? Thoughts?
I think Troy had to cover the deep part of the field because Ryan Mundy is rather heavy footed and not as good in coverage as Ryan Clark.

Also, in hearing Rod Woodson interviewed last week he said "you really don't need an in the box safety in the NFL any more". Steelers needed one because their LB's were not effective last night at filling gaps and stopping the run. When Troy was in the box, Manning passed or brought protection.

This is why I really hope the Steelers upgrade next year in the draft at Safety and pick somebody like Eric Reid or Robert Lester.
Old 09-10-2012, 10:37 AM   #10
GoFor7
Banned

Member Number: 24211

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer View Post
Ben on the pick 6

"I should have called time out," Roethlisberger said. "The play clock was running down, and I hate to burn time outs, but I should have because we were kind of all over the place."

"There's no one to blame but myself. I already told my teammates and coaches, it's my fault and it's on me. That loss is squarely on my shoulders."
While it's typical of most QBs to say that after a loss, it most certainly is not all on his shoulders. Conservative play-calling early on and a crap defense lost this game. Ben converted all those 3rd and longs when Art's calls didn't work on first and second down. He gave them a chance to win in the end, unfortunately it just didn't go as he'd hoped.
GoFor7 is offline   Reply With Quote