Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 09-10-2012, 07:51 PM   #1
GoFor7
Banned

Member Number: 24211
Default Remember when Haley was hired?

Fans said Ben needed to stop being selfish. They were thumping their chests that the team was going back to "real Steeler football." Well, you saw it Sunday night. Run, run, pass. Art Rooney II's tribute to his granddaddy. Ben's ego uninvolved.

But was Ben's ego really the problem, or was it Art's ego? Is it his stubborn desire to make sure the 2012 Steelers resemble the 1972 Steelers as much as possible that's really the problem?

So Ben wants to throw more - so what? He has the weapons, and it's an up-tempo passing league. Any QB would want to pass a lot in this offense. Steelers' fans, look around the NFL. Running more does not mean winning more. You're seeing more and more offenses going up-tempo, and defenses are currently having a hard time adjusting.

No, the season is not over because of the loss to Denver. This offense has the weapons to put up points. But the Steelers organization has to come into the 21st century. I said in another thread that this outdated style of football will result in an 8-8 season - I now realize I was being nice. They're sub-.500 if that's Art's game plan every week.

They can correct it though. They can unleash Ben and his weapons early and often in no-huddle, then play ground-n-pound when it's time to close things out. No longer is it about possession (how long did Manning possess in the second half?), it's about scoring touchdowns as much as possible.
GoFor7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 07:58 PM   #2
Twentyvalve
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 18796
Default Re: Remember when Haley was hired?

I don't get it - by all means the offense did outstanding. They controlled the clock, made big 3rd down plays, and scored well against a stout defense. The defense was to fault. We do need big help at the line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFor7 View Post
Fans said Ben needed to stop being selfish. They were thumping their chests that the team was going back to "real Steeler football." Well, you saw it Sunday night. Run, run, pass. Art Rooney II's tribute to his granddaddy. Ben's ego uninvolved.

But was Ben's ego really the problem, or was it Art's ego? Is it his stubborn desire to make sure the 2012 Steelers resemble the 1972 Steelers as much as possible that's really the problem?

So Ben wants to throw more - so what? He has the weapons, and it's an up-tempo passing league. Any QB would want to pass a lot in this offense. Steelers' fans, look around the NFL. Running more does not mean winning more. You're seeing more and more offenses going up-tempo, and defenses are currently having a hard time adjusting.

No, the season is not over because of the loss to Denver. This offense has the weapons to put up points. But the Steelers organization has to come into the 21st century. I said in another thread that this outdated style of football will result in an 8-8 season - I now realize I was being nice. They're sub-.500 if that's Art's game plan every week.

They can correct it though. They can unleash Ben and his weapons early and often in no-huddle, then play ground-n-pound when it's time to close things out. No longer is it about possession (how long did Manning possess in the second half?), it's about scoring touchdowns as much as possible.
Twentyvalve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 08:01 PM   #3
GoFor7
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twentyvalve View Post
I don't get it - by all means the offense did outstanding. They controlled the clock, made big 3rd down plays, and scored well against a stout defense. The defense was to fault. We do need big help at the line.
Umm.... what were you watching? The play-calling was too conservative and predictable.

How long will it take some of you to realize time of possession isn't that important anymore? Did you not see Peyton Manning score quickly in the no-huddle? It's about SCORING, not possessing.
Old 09-10-2012, 08:02 PM   #4
lardlad
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 10897
My Mood: Amazed

Man... Really the defense got tore up as soon as Denver went no huddle. The offense left points on the board and settled for 3. But cripes man, the defense got owned. It's not Haley's fault. Just like it wasn't Arians' fault in January.
lardlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 08:05 PM   #5
GoFor7
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lardlad View Post
Man... Really the defense got tore up as soon as Denver went no huddle. The offense left points on the board and settled for 3. But cripes man, the defense got owned. It's not Haley's fault. Just like it wasn't Arians' fault in January.
I'm not blaming Haley - I'm not sure if that was really want he wanted to do or if Art gave him a mandate to play that way. Considering what Haley did in Arizona, I would think he's not afraid to open it up.

My original post is saying the owner is the problem, not Haley.
Old 09-10-2012, 08:14 PM   #6
Bayz101
Renegade
Supporter

Member Number: 18856
Thanked 5,048 Times in 2,137 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

Quote:
Umm.... what were you watching? The play-calling was too conservative and predictable.

How long will it take some of you to realize time of possession isn't that important anymore? Did you not see Peyton Manning score quickly in the no-huddle? It's about SCORING, not possessing.
Umm...what we're you watching? Every time our offense scored, Manning scored in less than half the time. Time of possession IS important because if your defense is worth a SHIT the opposing offense may not have time to score. PERIOD.

Our defense sucked. Bottom line. Offense was fine. Every time the offense punched it in, the defense shit in it's hands. We had TWO sacks on Manning, both of which the offensive line COMPLETELY ignored our rush. They got FIVE sacks on Ben, most of which he was COMPLETELY unblocked and we STILL managed to go into the half with a lead.

If you're blaming the offense for this loss, you need to go back and watch the game again. The DEFENSE is to blame, and I believe the loss of Ryan Clark and lack of Harrison we're BIG contributors.

"Either you're playing dumb, or it's not an act". -Judge Judy

No need to drive me crazy. I can walk from here.
Bayz101 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 08:16 PM   #7
Bayz101
Renegade
Supporter

Member Number: 18856
Thanked 5,048 Times in 2,137 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

And as for Art: He hired Haley because Arians sucked, and Haley won't run to please him, he'll run because his last team was a #1 running team.

"Either you're playing dumb, or it's not an act". -Judge Judy

No need to drive me crazy. I can walk from here.
Bayz101 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 08:22 PM   #8
GoFor7
Banned

And his team before Kansas City was top five in passing. Do you remember that or are you too busy drinking 40 year old kool-aid? Like it or not, the way this offense is built more-so resembles the 2008 Cardinals than the 2010 Chiefs.

Quote:
Umm...what we're you watching? Every time our offense scored, Manning scored in less than half the time. Time of possession IS important because if your defense is worth a SHIT the opposing offense may not have time to score. PERIOD.
They should've started earlier in the first-half when the defense actually was effective against Manning. And that's the thing, the defense isn't worth a shit. They need to score more points. IT'S A SCORING LEAGUE, NOT A TIME OF POSSESSION LEAGUE! GET YOUR HEADS OUT OF THE 70'S.

Oh and yes, that defense gets more blame than the offense, but that's exactly why the offense cannot play this outdated style.
Old 09-10-2012, 08:25 PM   #9
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 14,555 Times in 5,971 Posts
My Mood: Happy

Quote:

My original post is saying the owner is the problem, not Haley.
Art Rooney II wants to win just as badly as you do, just because you misinterpreted what Art II really said doesn't mean he is the problem why we lost last night.
Old 09-10-2012, 08:28 PM   #10
GoFor7
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii 5-0 View Post
Art Rooney II wants to win just as badly as you do, just because you misinterpreted what Art II really said doesn't mean he is the problem why we lost last night.
Then explain why this team's offense isn't using it's main weapons more and is playing run, run, pass?