Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 09-10-2012, 07:32 PM   #11
Steelersfan87
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 18585
Default Re: Remember when Haley was hired?

How about just calming the **** down after one game? I swear, I can't even read message boards the day after a loss.
Steelersfan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 07:36 PM   #12
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair QB
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 6,801 Times in 2,957 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodens Grav View Post
How about just calming the **** down after one game? I swear, I can't even read message boards the day after a loss.
then don't...
Hawaii 5-0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 07:38 PM   #13
CargoJon
Starter

Member Number: 4796

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFor7 View Post
Then explain why this team's offense isn't using it's main weapons more and is playing run, run, pass?
I was swearing at the TV in the first 2 quarters for just this.

"2 yard Redman" in a cloud of dust. Past on 3rd and 6th. Maybe convert, maybe not. But it was so predictable and bad.

Dwyer should be starting over Redman. Dwyer looked 200x better than Redman.
CargoJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 07:40 PM   #14
GoFor7
Banned

Member Number: 24211

Honestly, I think all of last night's problem on offense are fixable - but they need to understand they aren't a ground-n-pound team, that they are a passing team. Once they do, I think they'll be alright.

The defense..... only time and health will tell.
GoFor7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 07:42 PM   #15
CargoJon
Starter

Member Number: 4796

Quote:
Honestly, I think all of last night's problem on offense are fixable - but they need to understand they aren't a ground-n-pound team, that they are a passing team. Once they do, I think they'll be alright.

The defense..... only time and health will tell.
No Harrison, no Clark.

Frankly I think Clark's presence was missed more than anything.

I hate Denver. That is all.
CargoJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 08:03 PM   #16
Steelersfan87
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 18585

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii 5-0 View Post
then don't...
Yeah, I get it, you don't like me. It's still true that message boards are bloated with overreaction every time the team loses, and unless you're one of the people overreacting, it's nauseating for everybody. Timmons sucks, Redman sucks, Ben sucks, Ike sucks, Troy sucks, Woodley sucks, Ziggy sucks, McLendon sucks, Sanders sucks, Starks sucks, Gilbert sucks, Colon sucks, Lewis sucks, Mundy sucks, Haley sucks, LeBeau sucks, Tomlin sucks, Rooney sucks...
Steelersfan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 08:06 PM   #17
lardlad
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 10897

Quote:
Then explain why this team's offense isn't using it's main weapons more and is playing run, run, pass?
It does seem that way, but they actually threw the ball 40 times to 26 rushes. The running games was not strong, but Ben could have easily been picked 4 times. Ben tore it up on third down, but left big plays on the field. When the field shortened, they started throwing and had to kick field goals. Maybe our biggest weapons aren't quite that big, or at least we don't have the line to take advantage of our biggest weapons.

Honestly, the run did more than leave you in third and long. Look what happened in the end of the game. When they knew it was passing situations, our line got murdered. The run kept Ben clean most of the night, and was enough to get first downs and even got some points.

95% of the time when you are able to keep Manning off the field for an hour, and get 7 you have a good shot at winning.

This game, IMO, came down to two plays. When the D choked on 70+ yd td, and the pick 6 at the end.
lardlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 08:12 PM   #18
SteelMusic
Starter
Supporter

Member Number: 9792

Quote:
Fans said Ben needed to stop being selfish. They were thumping their chests that the team was going back to "real Steeler football." Well, you saw it Sunday night. Run, run, pass. Art Rooney II's tribute to his granddaddy. Ben's ego uninvolved.

But was Ben's ego really the problem, or was it Art's ego? Is it his stubborn desire to make sure the 2012 Steelers resemble the 1972 Steelers as much as possible that's really the problem?

So Ben wants to throw more - so what? He has the weapons, and it's an up-tempo passing league. Any QB would want to pass a lot in this offense. Steelers' fans, look around the NFL. Running more does not mean winning more. You're seeing more and more offenses going up-tempo, and defenses are currently having a hard time adjusting.

No, the season is not over because of the loss to Denver. This offense has the weapons to put up points. But the Steelers organization has to come into the 21st century. I said in another thread that this outdated style of football will result in an 8-8 season - I now realize I was being nice. They're sub-.500 if that's Art's game plan every week.

They can correct it though. They can unleash Ben and his weapons early and often in no-huddle, then play ground-n-pound when it's time to close things out. No longer is it about possession (how long did Manning possess in the second half?), it's about scoring touchdowns as much as possible.
Old 09-10-2012, 08:13 PM   #19
GoFor7
Banned

Member Number: 24211

Quote:
Originally Posted by lardlad View Post
It does seem that way, but they actually threw the ball 40 times to 26 rushes. The running games was not strong, but Ben could have easily been picked 4 times. Ben tore it up on third down, but left big plays on the field. When the field shortened, they started throwing and had to kick field goals. Maybe our biggest weapons aren't quite that big, or at least we don't have the line to take advantage of our biggest weapons.
The point isn't about how many times they passed vs how much they ran, it's about how ineffective they were running it on early downs. They should have passed more often and not make it so predictable.

Quote:
Honestly, the run did more than leave you in third and long. Look what happened in the end of the game. When they knew it was passing situations, our line got murdered. The run kept Ben clean most of the night, and was enough to get first downs and even got some points.
That's why they need to go no huddle more. It makes it easier on the offensive line by keeping the other team's defense gassed.

Quote:
95% of the time when you are able to keep Manning off the field for an hour, and get 7 you have a good shot at winning.
Doesn't matter when you're defense is that bad. Manning showed why time of possession is not as important as it once was. The Broncos are playing in the 21st century, the Steelers should join them soon.
GoFor7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 08:36 PM   #20
FrancoLambert
Head Coach

Member Number: 20827
Thanked 1,206 Times in 652 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodens Grav View Post
Yeah, I get it, you don't like me. It's still true that message boards are bloated with overreaction every time the team loses, and unless you're one of the people overreacting, it's nauseating for everybody. Timmons sucks, Redman sucks, Ben sucks, Ike sucks, Troy sucks, Woodley sucks, Ziggy sucks, McLendon sucks, Sanders sucks, Starks sucks, Gilbert sucks, Colon sucks, Lewis sucks, Mundy sucks, Haley sucks, LeBeau sucks, Tomlin sucks, Rooney sucks...
Truth be told......many of the players you listed DID suck last night.
How'd Redman do? Hmmm....he tiptoes too. Timmons, had a little trouble clogging the middle. Ziggy, did he play? Mundy? Ben admiited he sucked, the underthrow to Heath, the pick six, not seeing Wallace wide open. You forgot Adams, he looked real good for a second round pick, displayed good footwork.

Some people definitely go overboard with their negative analysis but not all criticism is unjustified.
FrancoLambert is offline   Reply With Quote