Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 09-10-2012, 07:11 PM   #1
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 18,767 Times in 7,919 Posts
My Mood: Dead
Default BB: The loss is on him

Let me start off by saying that I predicted on the day that BB was drafted, that he'd take the Steelers to six SuperBowls, and win five of them. At that point, he was the best QB that I had seen in years. And, I think that this team lives & dies by him.

Again, the team lives & dies by BB.

The defense is not up to the caliber of 2008, let alone the early 90s, and nowhere near the defenses of the 70s. There is no arguing with that. But, as long as BB is on the roster, the Steelers WILL be fine.

Now... with that said...

BB is the leader of this team, and in turn, he has to be held accountable for the loss. This loss was squarely on his shoulders.

One can argue that the defense gave up four scoring drives... but, I retort that this defense is not going to be great, and we need ot "accept" that fact. Furthermore, if the Steelers are going to win, it's going to be ALL because of BB. This team will live & die by BB.

No more shall victories be defensively won (eg: 21-16). Instead, it will more likely be BB outscoring opponents (28-24). It is only a slight difference in score, but in today's NFL, it is indeed a big difference. 21 points won't cut it anymore; but, 28 points will lead to 13 or 14 wins.

Back to BB's culpability...

The NFL is such a "close" league. The separation between the top five teams and the bottom ten is not really all that different. Ergo, small things matter. Mistakes matter. And, BB made the biggest mistakes of the night. Again, he is the leader of this team; the Steelers will go as far as he takes them; and, he has to be held accountable for the loss.

The following five plays are indicative of the difference between winning & losing... and, they accounted for 16 points "left on the field" (or, 23 points, if one considers that 7 points were given to the Broncos).

1. BB has Heath Miller WIDE open in the end-zone. Alas, instead of lobbing the ball to Heath, for an easy score, BB throws a dart right above the heads of several defenders... and (obviously), one of those defenders deflected the ball. FG... instead of a TD. 4 points left on the field.

2. AB has his man beat. BB throws the ball slightly behind AB. The pass is broken up. If BB leads AB, it is a TD. FG... instead of a TD. 4 points left on the field.

3. If BB makes either of those TDs, the Steelers likely go for the 1 point converstion (on a later TD), rather than the failed 2 point conversion. 1 point left on the field.

4. Mike Wallace was covered deep by the FS all game long... except for one play, where the FS bit on a fake, leaving Wallace in single coverage. Worse yet, the CB bit, as well... leaving Wallace COMPLETELY UNCOVERED. If BB sees it, he has an easy TD. Alas, BB throws it short; incomplete; and worse, no TD. Punt... instead of a TD. 7 points left on the field.

5. With three minutes left, a friend of mine texted me: "I love BB time." Indeed. Then, BB has a brain fart, and forces a pass on second down... resulting in a pick six. 7 points given to Denver.

SUMMATION:
BB was able to move the ball; the Steelers dominated the clock. Alas, the Steelers simply could not scores TDs. Those 16 points (plus 7 points given away) were the difference in the game. BB needs to accept, acknowledge, & learn from these mistakes. He is the leader, and I am sure that he will bounce back.

Again, I am sure that he will bounce back.

In other words, the Steelers will be fine. BB has games like this (see the Eagles game in 2008), but he also has many, many more games where he does things that make my jaw drop (his final drive in SuperBowl XLIII). As long as BB is healthy, the Steelers WILL be contenders.

The Steelers are 0-1. BB is still on the roster. Everything will be fine. Done.
teegre is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 07:17 PM   #2
GoFor7
Banned

Member Number: 24211
Default Re: BB: The loss is on him

Oh for Christ's sake.

Ben is the reason they had a chance to even win the game. It was predictable play-calling on first and second down, putting Ben in 3rd & long situations much of the night. Do you know Ben's numbers on 3rd down last night?

11/15.

Ben was merely being a good sport. Art II wanted to go back to 70's football and possess more, they did. AND IT FAILED.

Was it his best night, no. But to say the loss is completely his fault shows ignorance beyond belief.

How about this, instead of putting Ben in situation where he has to bail the team out in the last 3 minutes, they use him earlier to score more points?
GoFor7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 07:28 PM   #3
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Agreed: BB is the reason that they had a chance to win...
...and simultaneously the reason that they lost.

If he is going to be the leader, he has to be held accountable for a bad game.

Aaron Rodgers had a bad game yesterday; Drew Bress had a bad game; and, BB had a bad game.

Furthermore, you have stated (many times) that "It is not production; it's points."

Well, it doesn't matter if BB was 11/15 on 3rd downs, or 1/15, or 15/15... he gave away POINTS. Right?... that's what you've been harping about in ALL of the other threads... points... right?

You have stated that time of possession and yards do not matter... all that matters is points... right? Well, BB gave away 16 points.
Old 09-10-2012, 07:31 PM   #4
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFor7 View Post
use him earlier to score more points?
Such as... oh... I don't know...

...maybe a pass to Miller?
...maybe a pass to AB?
...maybe a pass to Wallace?

In other words, it appears that you totally agree with me.
Old 09-10-2012, 07:31 PM   #5
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair QB
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 10,074 Times in 4,310 Posts
My Mood: Happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by teegre View Post
Let me start off by saying that I predicted on the day that BB was drafted, that he'd take the Steelers to six SuperBowls, and win five of them.

cool, that means we're going to three more Super Bowls and winning all of them...

The LeDoobie Brothers
Hawaii 5-0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 07:32 PM   #6
GoFor7
Banned

Quote:
Agreed: BB is the reason that they had a chance to win...
...and simultaneously the reason that they lost.

If he is going to be the leader, he has to be held accountable for a bad game.

Aaron Rodgers had a bad game yesterday; Drew Bress had a bad game; and, BB had a bad game.

Furthermore, you have stated (many times) that "It is not production; it's points."

Well, it doesn't matter if BB was 11/15 on 3rd downs, or 1/15, or 15/15... he gave away POINTS. Right?... that's what you've been harping about in ALL of the other threads... points... right?

You have stated that time of possession and yards do not matter... all that matters is points... right? Well, BB gave away 16 points.
And this neanderthal play-calling isn't helping. You want you're QB to get into a rhythm with no-huddle, not put him in third-and-long all night. Ultimately the defense is more to blame than the offense, but they should've gone faster in the first half so it didn't have to come down to Ben.
Old 09-10-2012, 07:33 PM   #7
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii 5-0 View Post
cool, that means we're going to three more Super Bowls and winning all of them...

Exactly. I foresee a three-peat, followed by an immediate retirement.

For him MVP speech (his third in three years): "I retire. Out."
Old 09-10-2012, 07:34 PM   #8
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFor7 View Post
And this neanderthal play-calling isn't helping. You want you're QB to get into a rhythm with no-huddle, not put him in third-and-long all night. Ultimately the defense is more to blame than the offense, but they should've gone faster in the first half so it didn't have to come down to Ben.
Three TD-scoring opportunities.
Six points.

Twenty-one points would have been better.

I do not see how you don't agree with that...???
Old 09-10-2012, 07:35 PM   #9
Bayz101
Renegade
Supporter

Member Number: 18856
Thanked 3,605 Times in 1,625 Posts
My Mood: Tired

Sorry, you made a mistake in your thread title. What you meant to say was "BB: The only reason we we're in the game was because of him"

And to elaborate: Not the offense, the DEFENSE lost the game for us. No one on the offensive side of the ball caused us to lose. The offense scored, and when they did, the defense allowed Manning to score in less than half the time. The defense allowed Manning to pick them apart in the no-huddle, and completely ABUSE our use of the "time of possession" tactic on offense.

Don't blame the offense when the defense was already outscoring us BEFORE Ben threw the pick.

Bottom line: Defense needs to improve, and Clark is exactly what the doctor ordered.

"Either you're playing dumb, or it's not an act". -Judge Judy

No need to drive me crazy. I can walk from here.
Bayz101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 07:35 PM   #10
GoFor7
Banned

Quote:
Such as... oh... I don't know...

...maybe a pass to Miller?
...maybe a pass to AB?
...maybe a pass to Wallace?

In other words, it appears that you totally agree with me.
True, but I already said it wasn't his best game.

How about a faster start? How about not worrying about appeasing a man that died 24 years ago and lived in a different football era.