Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 09-11-2012, 09:10 PM   #1
jiminpa
Starter

Member Number: 20511
Default Did I miss something?

Did I miss something this past week? I thought we just played a Peyton Manning QB'd Denver at Denver. I also thought we had a good chance of winning until late in the fourth quarter. Some of you make it sound like we just got spanked by the Clowns in Pittsburgh so badly that the second half was merely a formality.
jiminpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 10:08 PM   #2
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 1,760 Times in 878 Posts
Default Re: Did I miss something?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminpa View Post
Did I miss something this past week? I thought we just played a Peyton Manning QB'd Denver at Denver. I also thought we had a good chance of winning until late in the fourth quarter. Some of you make it sound like we just got spanked by the Clowns in Pittsburgh so badly that the second half was merely a formality.
Yes, the sky is falling and after 1 week the fans are calling for changes. Good thing I claimed the site firetoddhaley.com . Money in the bank folks!
Old 09-11-2012, 10:10 PM   #3
sbbound
Water Boy

Member Number: 15380

I was pleased with what I saw out of the offense despite some oline worries. Once Peyton started with the no huddle the defense didn't stand a chance. He actually made it look easy. Troy looks out of shape, just doesn't look like the same difference maker he was in his prime. It's not his fault, unfortunately age is the main factor here. I think it's time to starting looking into grooming a potential heir apparent. I'm not sure if it's just because the last time we saw Ike he was getting torched by Demarius Thomas or not, but he looks like he may be losing a step. I understand not many players possess Thomas' size and speed, but none the less, thats the first time I've ever seen Ike get abused by an opposing player that way.
Old 09-11-2012, 10:12 PM   #4
sbbound
Water Boy

Member Number: 15380

I liked the controlled play calling on Offense. I didn't get the "we need a miracle" high anxiety feeling on every 3rd and 5+ yards like I did with Arians at the helm.
Old 09-12-2012, 01:07 AM   #5
steelfan23

Member Number:

You can look at it a couple of ways. You could say well, it was in Denver, with Peyton fricken manning. Or you could say, it was against a guy who hadn't played in a full season and especially against the vaunted Steelers D. I agree that it isn't all that shocking we would maybe lose to them. The larger problem I see is that like the poster said above, we have several prime time players who have peaked and are at the point where you can see their play has declined. Age is a factor and it happens to everyone. My fear is that the players we have drafted during the Tomlin era to replace these guys are not panning out. We tried with the O line in the draft and that situation will hopefully improve later on this year. That should give us three good linemen moving forward and we can work with that. We have tried addressing LB depth with Silvester, Worilds, etc but they aren't exactly lighting the world on fire and our starters look a tad overweight and sluggish. This of course happens after they get their mega deals too so it hurts even more. Our secondary is and has been a joke. You'd think Tomlin would be better at recognizing talent there, it is his forte no? We have really lucked out with our receiver though and that will need to be our bread and butter. I like Dwyer as our RB and he should have gotten more carried over Redman.

I just think we need to have a system reset. We have a few great young talented players but we need an massive injection of talent to set us up for the next great run. When I mentioned Ben as trade bait in the offseason it is because I truly believe that he will be incapable of running Haley's offense. I am not saying choose haley over him, I am saying I am just tired of him as a QB and would rather trade him for picks and use our top 10 pick next year on a signal caller. Let THAT guy step in with proven receivers and a good young line and they grow together. Use the extra picks gained by trading him and finally address corner and safety.

Most fans seem to believe we are better than I do. That's fine. Even if they are a 10 win team (I think 6 or 7) they are clearly not going to be winning a SB this year. When I talk to my Miami Dolphin fan buddy he can't stand when I say this but...if we aren't legitimately challenging for a SB then I would rather eat a year and make some moves so we can have that 6 year stretch where we ARE legit SB contenders. There is no worse feeling than to watch your team lose the SB except barely making playoffs and getting bounced early and have a bad draft position only to rinse and repeat. That is what I fear our best case scenario is.
Old 09-12-2012, 01:24 AM   #6
Steelersfan87
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 18585

One game and suddenly the secondary not only is, but has been a joke? After being a key reason the defense gave up the least points in the league and giving up less yards through the air than anybody? With 2 Pro Bowl safeties, a cornerback who led the league in completion % against, and a wealth of promising depth behind? I'm afraid I can't buy that particular item you're selling.
Steelersfan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 01:29 AM   #7
Sean95m
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 18937

Ok sbbound you are a moron. Troy is in shape! The announcers themselves for christ sake called it right, everytime Troy lined up Manning paased, when he ddin't he called running plays. That wont happen with Clark back there, but he missed the game because of why? If you don't know then you lose your man card! Don't count Ttroy out when he did look good, it's just with a weak secondary he was forced to play safe most of the game.
Sean95m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 01:41 AM   #8
Steelersfan87
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 18585

Troy also struggled through a strained calf muscle most of the game, which I assume happened on that early run blitz that he got clipped on before recovering and making the tackle. Regardless of that, however, Manning was simply exceptional at neutralizing him by simply playing away from him constantly.
Steelersfan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 04:45 AM   #9
jim brown
Water Boy

Member Number: 382

Now all of you people see why I don't make any comments!!!!!!!!!!! To many idiots saying nothing but comments out there --------- GO STEELERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
jim brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 04:52 AM   #10
Bayz101
Renegade
Supporter

Member Number: 18856
Thanked 3,581 Times in 1,615 Posts
My Mood: Tired

Please keep it civil. Thanks.

"Either you're playing dumb, or it's not an act". -Judge Judy

No need to drive me crazy. I can walk from here.
Bayz101 is offline   Reply With Quote