Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...
Bills
GAMEDAY
September 11, 2014, 8:25pm ET
CBS

Old 07-31-2006, 08:44 PM   #1
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 7,994 Times in 3,418 Posts
Default mondays camp report

http://news.steelers.com/article/66458/

The pads were popping on Monday afternoon
Monday, July 31, 2006
By BOB LABRIOLA
Steelers.com

LATROBE, Pa. ? The 2006 Pittsburgh Steelers may have the most dynamic young quarterback in all of football, and they may be without the guy who stands fifth on the NFL's all-time rushing list.

But that doesn't mean they're going to stray from their offensive identity.

During the afternoon portion of this camp's first two-a-days, the Steelers slugged it out in a tight ends vs. linebackers drill, and then in their patented nine-on-seven. The pads were popping, as the tone was being set on a day that offered the perfect climate for growing bananas.

The tight ends vs. linebackers drill matches one player from each unit in a hand-to-hand battle for control of the edge of the line of scrimmage. It's a drill that tests strength, technique and will.

Jerame Tuman got a lot of praise from coordinator Ken Whisenhunt for his work in the drill, and Clark Haggans was strong at the point of attack for the defense. The final repetition matched James Harrison against undrafted rookie Jonathan Dekker, and Harrison put his man on the ground.

"It really wasn't that bad," said Coach Bill Cowher of the afternoon working conditions. "It was only a 97-degree heat index, and there still was a little bit of a breeze. I think we're going to get a couple of more days of this, but it's been good. There's no substitute for that, but the guys have really done a good job of acclimating to this.

"When you look at some of the serious consequences of the heat, the first three days are very important. The guys have done a good job of hydrating and taking care of their bodies, and we're monitoring them out here. We didn't do any (running) at the end; I think this practice in itself was enough. Any running we did at the end just would've been detrimental. These guys came here in good shape; there wasn't one who didn't come in at the proper weight."

Nate Washington continues to do good things every time he steps on the field. After making the catch of the day on Sunday, Washington continued to be a difficult guy for the cornerbacks to handle. He beat Ricardo Colclough on a couple of shorter patterns, and then he beat him deep after first making him think the route was going to be a slant.

"In his second year, Nate is definitely a guy who is more confident," said Cowher. "You can see that in his understanding and the way he carries himself on the field."

For the defense, both Tyrone Carter and Mike Logan had interceptions. Carter's came on a play where Ben Roethlisberger tried to lead Hines Ward into an open area but never saw the safety lurking there; Logan made a diving catch of a ball Charlie Batch threw high and behind Tuman.

"Ty Carter and Ryan Clark are alternating (with the first unit) and we'll see how that unfolds," said Cowher. "Ty is a good player. He obviously feels a lot more comfortable now that he's been in the system for a couple of years. That makes a big difference. Those two are competing for the starting job, and Anthony Smith is another guy we're looking at back there. Mike Logan has been very solid, and safety is a very competitive position right now."

CAMP NOTES: The Steelers re-signed linebacker Malcolm Postell. With Joey Porter on the physically unable to perform list, and with Mike Kudla nursing a hamstring injury, the Steelers made a move to add another linebacker. Postell had been with the team through minicamp but was waived in June.

Also, Lee Vickers, the undrafted rookie from North Alabama, started working at outside linebacker. Vickers is built a lot like Mike Vrabel, and he is a guy who can run. At 6-foot-6, and a listed 270 pounds, Vickers was too slight to be an end in the 3-4 this season.

After parking more than 3,000 cars on Monday, officials estimated attendance for the afternoon workout at 9,000.

INJURY UPDATE: Dan Kreider (foot) and Travis Kirschke (back) did not practice on Monday. Cowher said Kirschke's back tightened up, and he'll be monitored daily ? Santonio Holmes injured the same hamstring he originally hurt while working in Pittsburgh prior to the start of camp. Cowher said he didn't know just yet if that would cause Holmes to miss any practice.
tony hipchest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 08:48 PM   #2
SteelerMurf
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 2064
Default Re: mondays camp report

It's tough reading camp reports, at first you are ticked that Ben is throwing INTs...then you realize it's to our defense.
Old 07-31-2006, 08:50 PM   #3
TasmanianTroy271
Team Captain

Member Number: 544

I like what I hear about Nate Washington, but I'd like to hear about him beating McFadden instead of Colclough, who the jury is still out on...
Old 07-31-2006, 08:52 PM   #4
BIGBENFASTWILLIE
Living Legend

Member Number: 618

Holmes injury makes me wonder.....Is he hurt or is he just too tired to practice??
Old 07-31-2006, 08:52 PM   #5
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 7,994 Times in 3,418 Posts

so far colclough isnt having the best camp. but ben is tossing up plenty of balls for grabs it seems. ben turned out ok after a bad camp last year. cowher seems pleased to how everyone reported and isnt going too tuff on them. seems like everyones in the right place
tony hipchest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 09:00 PM   #6
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 7,110 Times in 3,199 Posts

This is a key season for Colclough - McFadden zoomed by him on the depth chart last year and if Ike Taylor is signed I wonder about his prospects.

Ben tossing up INTs at this point is like a golfer spraying shots on the driving range - I will wait until he tees off against Miami

As for Holmes, an injury riddled training camp after the South Beach and Columbus arrests would pretty much hit the trifecta for his rookie year.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 09:14 PM   #7
SteelerMurf
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 2064

Just watched on FSN that Holmes hammy sitout is precautionary only. He is day to day.
Old 07-31-2006, 09:50 PM   #8
Man_Of_Steel
Bench Warmer
Supporter

Member Number: 1036

I take it these guys practice in the heat long before the official training camp starts. They are out there like its no big deal going full tilt.
Old 07-31-2006, 10:00 PM   #9
SteelersMongol
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 2401

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelerMurf
It's tough reading camp reports, at first you are ticked that Ben is throwing INTs...then you realize it's to our defense.
Ha ha ha. I was thinking the same thing.
Old 07-31-2006, 10:43 PM   #10
nicesteel4life
Team Captain
Supporter

Member Number: 1775

CAMP COWHER is Just getting Started...But reports so far sound Good Overall...Nothing said on the running back side yet in two days..No News is good News, I guess