Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 09-14-2012, 07:26 AM   #11
WVABE
Team Captain

3D Field Goal - Pro Champion! 3D Field Goal - All Pro Champion!
Member Number: 24111
Default Re: LaMarr Woodley promises Steelers won’t be 0-2

If the Wood is the only one on the D line to bring the wood, then well you know what happens next.
WVABE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 09:00 AM   #12
sluggermatt15
Team Captain

Member Number: 20316

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACH1 View Post
Your not alone my friend.

The D better show up for this one or they will be 0-2.
Agreed. IMO this game is going to be much more difficult than everyone thinks. Despite the Steelers being picked to win at about 78%, it is very possible the Jets can win.

The Jets are going to try and run the ball against us. If we can shut that down, I like our chances. Shonn Greene is not a fancy back. He is pretty vanilla. Conversely, the Steelers NEED to be able to run the football. No way we can rely on Big Ben and passing to control the game. We can't beat the Jets D, especially with Revis, by being one-dimensional. That plays right into the hands of NY's defense.

Regardless, I see this game as a dogfight, and I think the Steelers will come out on top.
sluggermatt15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 09:10 AM   #13
TRH
Living Legend

Member Number: 17206

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessStill View Post
That said, I'm sick and absolute TIRED of this defensive line not getting a pass rush. It seemed for most of the night, we tried to bring pressure right up the gut and time and time again, our defensive lineman got stone-walled (that's being nice. We seemed to play with no fire!) and Lawrence Timmons CONTINUED to play out of position while Woodley barely did much of anything. I'm willing to give Woodley the benefit of the doubt. Worlids or Carter is NO threat to an offensive tackle when it comes to the outside rush. All they did was neutralize Woodley and spread our 43 out.
How about not getting turnovers as well? That can be said for the ENTIRE defensive unit. I've never...in my life...seen a defense...that has so much potential, get NOTHING for turnovers. Its sickening. INT's aside (which we don't get either)...lets talk fumbles. I was watching NE's defense closely, and it appeared they were trying to "strip" the ball on nearly every opponent possession, almost relentlessly. I don't even see that here. At All. Its mind-boggling.

Also....im certainly not a "Woodley hater" or anything.....but is there 2 more overpaid LB's in the league than Timmons & Woodley? We're certainly not getting payback for those 2 huge, giant contracts. For what?
Woodley disappears for quarters at a time...at times, for entire games. And Timmons, i don't even know what to say. Once he signed the big contract, he's been alive out there, but is certainly no game-changer or elite LB. He actually played better before signing the big one. Very frustrating.
TRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 09:25 AM   #14
Darkstorm05
Team Captain

Member Number: 19897

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRH View Post
How about not getting turnovers as well? That can be said for the ENTIRE defensive unit. I've never...in my life...seen a defense...that has so much potential, get NOTHING for turnovers. Its sickening.

Lack of pressure doesn't help. If we had a strong pass rush making QBs try to force the ball out quick, we'd naturally see an increase in INTs as a result. When a QB has all day to pass, he's not likely to make so many stupid forced throws.
Darkstorm05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 10:02 AM   #15
Stairway to 7
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 24340

Woodley needs to SHUT UP and SHOW UP instead. He was awful last week.

Lamar don't talk, gimme 2 sacks, get into Sanchez's face, force a fumble, play like you can...
Stairway to 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 10:04 AM   #16
Bayz101
Renegade
Supporter

Member Number: 18856
Thanked 4,042 Times in 1,785 Posts
My Mood: Aggressive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stairway to 7 View Post
Woodley needs to SHUT UP and SHOW UP instead. He was awful last week.

Lamar don't talk, gimme 2 sacks, get into Sanchez's face, force a fumble, play like you can...
Lebeau rarely sent him after the QB. In fact, his big ass was in coverage most of the night. Hopefully that changes, and we'll see him getting in the QB's face.

"Either you're playing dumb, or it's not an act". -Judge Judy

No need to drive me crazy. I can walk from here.
Bayz101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 10:15 AM   #17
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 3,971 Times in 1,922 Posts
My Mood: Fine

after re-watching the first half of the Broncos game, when our D arguably played its best, it is not a stretch to say that Woodley got gassed pretty quickly. Having to drop into any coverage for any amount of time really throws his pass rush off.

Sanchez is easily rattled. If it were me, I'd send the best pass rusher at him all day long. The best ones can still get to the QB in spite of teams targeting them with intent to neutralize

I'll look no farther than last night's Green Bay game. Dom Capers had Matthews lining up all over the place to MAKE him a factor. I'm not saying Woodley won't or can't rise to the challenge - but with injuries, we need this guy to be a factor. I will argue that he is not as fast off the ball as he needs to be based off of what I'm seeing in other play makers. I love Woodley, but we need this D to start gaining some confidence sooner rather than later. More leaders need to emerge by example and NOW. Just my opinion.

Look into my eyes
SF Haters
steelfury02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 12:01 PM   #18
TRH
Living Legend

Member Number: 17206

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelfury02 View Post
after re-watching the first half of the Broncos game, when our D arguably played its best, it is not a stretch to say that Woodley got gassed pretty quickly. Having to drop into any coverage for any amount of time really throws his pass rush off.

Sanchez is easily rattled. If it were me, I'd send the best pass rusher at him all day long. The best ones can still get to the QB in spite of teams targeting them with intent to neutralize

I'll look no farther than last night's Green Bay game. Dom Capers had Matthews lining up all over the place to MAKE him a factor. I'm not saying Woodley won't or can't rise to the challenge - but with injuries, we need this guy to be a factor. I will argue that he is not as fast off the ball as he needs to be based off of what I'm seeing in other play makers. I love Woodley, but we need this D to start gaining some confidence sooner rather than later. More leaders need to emerge by example and NOW. Just my opinion.
That sounds good and like it would work MUCH better......but LeBeau better start coming up with those kinds of changes or we're going to get torched. I hate to call him a 'one-trick pony', but our defense is starting to look eerily predictable.
#2, the troops out there need to be rallied up much better than they have been and breathing fire out there if they want to have any kind of success in this league this year. They look like half dead-men walking last week and half as if they just crawled out of bed.
If anyone watched the Packers game last night, especially Clay Mathews, most of them looked like they were breathing fire out there and were jumping around, high-fiving, growling, etc, etc, etc. We didn't have ANY of that and need it very, very badly. Think Joey Porter would have put up with this nonsense? He'd be whipping some a** out there on the field (and i'm not talking about the opponents.......)
TRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 12:13 PM   #19
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 3,971 Times in 1,922 Posts
My Mood: Fine

if we're talking the intangibles of leaders on the defensive side of the ball, getting fired up would certainly not be a negative - I think we just don't have those types of personalities on defense. It seems like the most we get is a pat on the helmet, raising a fist in the air by Troy, or an occasional (an increasing rarity it seems) kick or foot squash

I admire the lead by example, but also agree with you that they just didn't have a spark. I think the no-huddle really gased them, at it seemed like they were just waiting to make the tackle after the ball was caught. Its hard to be lightning fast and hard hitting against a no-huddle, a lot of the times defenses are reacting (and those are the times in the NFL now) to it.

I don't think Troy diving over the line alone is going to stop high flying offenses. It is a harsh reality, but the good to elite WR just have that edge. There are far more opportunities to burn the blitz than there are to smash a high-octane O.

Look into my eyes
SF Haters
steelfury02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 12:19 PM   #20
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 20,759 Times in 8,644 Posts
My Mood: Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRH View Post
If anyone watched the Packers game last night, especially Clay Mathews, most of them looked like they were breathing fire out there and were jumping around, high-fiving, growling, etc, etc, etc. We didn't have ANY of that and need it very, very badly. Think Joey Porter would have put up with this nonsense? He'd be whipping some a** out there on the field (and i'm not talking about the opponents.......)
Joey Porter... Greg Lloyd... Jack Lambert.  

The Steelers need in of those types of vocal leaders.  
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote