Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 11-22-2013, 05:06 AM   #1
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,939 Times in 1,653 Posts
My Mood: Lurking
Default On the Steelers: Beachum breaks the mold at left tackle

By Ed Bouchette / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

That will be quite a contrast at left tackle when the Steelers and Browns take the field Sunday in Cleveland.

Joe Thomas has not missed a snap at left tackle since the Browns drafted him third overall in the first round in 2007 and has made six Pro Bowls.

The Steelers drafted Kelvin Beachum last year in the seventh round to play guard, yet he has helped keep their season relevant by saving them at left tackle when they had virtually no one else to turn to.

At 6 feet 3 and sometimes 300 pounds (perhaps depending on how many Muscle Milk shakes he downs that day), Beachum has graded out well since taking over what many NFL personnel men believe to be the second-most important position on offense.

After the Steelers decided Marcus Gilbert could not play there, and then watched as Mike Adams could not play there, Beachum was the next man up and perhaps the only man left. His pass blocking has been significantly better than that of Adams, particularly the past two weeks.

Beachum wants to be more than a stop-gap left tackle, and with Gilbert at right tackle and Adams playing some tight end and backup tackle, he'll get that chance.

"I don't just want to be a guy out there at left tackle, I want to make it a mainstay thing," Beachum said.

"I think that's what he's trying to prove and what we are all trying to see," offensive coordinator Todd Haley said. "It's just that he is getting better every week."

He must overcome the stereotypes NFL scouts and coaches have for left tackles. They do not envision them as 6-3, 300 pounds, which is the smallest left tackle in the NFL and the smallest Steelers lineman. The Browns list Joe Thomas as 6-6, 312 pounds. Adams is listed at 6-7, 323 and Gilbert 6-6, 330.

That is why Beachum keeps those buckets of protein mixes in his locker.

"I've always wanted to be bigger than I am. It's just one of those things, keeping the weight on," Beachum said. "It's just eating more."

Beachum has three things going for him -- 54 starts at left tackle at Southern Methodist, long arms and sound technique. If it wasn't for the arms and the technique, many of those 330-pounders would overpower him.

"Everybody gets overpowered at times when you have bad technique," he said. "I have to be good at my technique. I'm not a guy who can absorb blocks, an overly big guy who can hold onto blocks. I have to work on my technique. My feet have to be in good position.

"I can use my feet, my hands, use the scheme we have from a mental standpoint so I know when I can get on a guy real quick, when to set, know when a stunt is coming. It's mental as well as physical."

He also has one other technique that seems to work well.

"I'm a guy who is going to get on you and start the fight early."

Hounding Haden

Antonio Brown, the NFL's leading receiver, said he looks forward to going against one of the league's best cornerbacks, Cleveland's Joe Haden. He also said he looks forward to Haden following him around all over the field, Ike Taylor-like.

"I hope so," said Brown, which prompted the question as to why. "One-on-one is better than two-on-one. If you study game plans and prepare for one guy, it's a lot easier with your matchup planning for him than other guys or other zone coverage."

Haley said Haden is "the best cornerback we've seen this year, for sure. ... Antonio has a great challenge ahead of him, so he has to play his best game."

Brown already has a career-high 74 receptions and needs 48 yards to hit 1,000 for the second time.

Backup TE almost ready

Matt Spaeth practiced for the first time since the Steelers placed him on the short-term injured reserve list Sept. 3 with a foot sprain that required surgery.

They have 21 days to decide whether to take him off IR or keep him there for the rest of the season. That can occur any time in those 21 days, and Spaeth expects to join the 53-man roster at some point in the next three weeks.

"That's the plan," Spaeth said. "I know this is day one of the three-week window, so when that happens I have no idea, but that is definitely the plan."

Spaeth said he felt good after his first practice. Haley said he did not watch him much in practice but "he has been working hard; we will see where it goes."

Few bursts from Bell

Count Haley among those hoping to see rookie halfback Le'Veon Bell have a breakout game, or at least a breakout run.

"There's been production," Haley said. "It just hasn't been in the run game, but there have been some efficient runs when we needed them."

Bell ran 13 yards on the first offensive play Sunday against Detroit, but finished with only 36 yards on 18 carries. He did catch a short pass and turn it into a 43-yard gain on a second-quarter field-goal drive.

"He's made a couple of real big plays in the passing game the last two weeks," Haley said.

Bell has 24 receptions for 238 yards. He leads the Steelers with 375 yards rushing and four touchdowns, but averages only 3.1 yards per carry with a long run of 25 yards.

"I want to see one of those breakout runs here pretty quick," Haley said.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/s...#ixzz2lMqYUwUA
Old 11-22-2013, 05:29 AM   #2
LgFriess
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 18715
My Mood: Cheerful
Default Re: On the Steelers: Beachum breaks the mold at left tackle

Watching the game, I didn't see Bell doing anything wrong. He was getting what he could from what I could tell. There were a lot of Lions in the backfield on those running plays.
LgFriess is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to LgFriess For This Useful Post:
EbonySteel86 (11-22-2013)
Old 11-22-2013, 06:21 AM   #3
EbonySteel86
Team Captain

Member Number: 20340

Quote:
Originally Posted by LgFriess View Post
Watching the game, I didn't see Bell doing anything wrong. He was getting what he could from what I could tell. There were a lot of Lions in the backfield on those running plays.
Excactly! It's hard to run when 3 Lions are in the backfield waiting for you to get the ball.
EbonySteel86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 07:03 AM   #4
pczach
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24694
Thanked 9,849 Times in 3,818 Posts
My Mood: Amused

If the offensive line could just do a little more and be more consistent, the offense would really be productive. They're getting close, I just don't know that Beachum is a quality NFL LT. He just might not be big enough or talented enough to get the job done. I love his versatility and his effort, so we'll see. I'd still love to see a great FA pickup at LT, and then our depth would be off the charts good. This could be a great OL.
pczach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 07:21 AM   #5
Steeldude
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by LgFriess View Post
The same problems Dwyer and Redman encountered too.
Cyphon (11-22-2013), MDSteel15 (11-22-2013)
Old 11-22-2013, 10:23 AM   #6
Rotorhead
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 703
My Mood: Relaxed

Well Beachum is proving everyone wrong about the LT position. He has played pretty solid despite have to supposedly higher pedigree OT's to beat him out. I hope we keep him there. I think the return of Foster will help the run game too. Finally this OL is getting healthy and comfortable, just at the right time too!
Rotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 11:00 AM   #7
Riddle_Of_Steel
Head Coach

Member Number: 13727

Beachum doesn't have to beat another 330-lb guy like the article says. He needs to be able to beat a 235-lb linebacker or 295-lb end. He's doing fine.

That said, the running lanes just aren't there. Not Bell's fault-- he has produced what he can from nothing, but if there are two defenders sitting there waiting for you to take the handoff from the QB, there isn't much anybody could do.
The Following User Says Thank You to Riddle_Of_Steel For This Useful Post:
MDSteel15 (11-22-2013)
Old 11-22-2013, 11:10 AM   #8
SH-Rock
Living Legend

Member Number: 15497
Thanked 2,883 Times in 1,126 Posts

He must overcome the stereotypes NFL scouts and coaches have for left tackles. They do not envision them as 6-3, 300 pounds, which is the smallest left tackle in the NFL and the smallest Steelers lineman. The Browns list Joe Thomas as 6-6, 312 pounds. Adams is listed at 6-7, 323 and Gilbert 6-6, 330.

That is why Beachum keeps those buckets of protein mixes in his locker.

"I've always wanted to be bigger than I am. It's just one of those things, keeping the weight on," Beachum said. "It's just eating more."

Beachum has three things going for him -- 54 starts at left tackle at Southern Methodist, long arms and sound technique. If it wasn't for the arms and the technique, many of those 330-pounders would overpower him.

"Everybody gets overpowered at times when you have bad technique," he said. "I have to be good at my technique. I'm not a guy who can absorb blocks, an overly big guy who can hold onto blocks. I have to work on my technique. My feet have to be in good position.

"I can use my feet, my hands, use the scheme we have from a mental standpoint so I know when I can get on a guy real quick, when to set, know when a stunt is coming. It's mental as well as physical."

He also has one other technique that seems to work well.

"I'm a guy who is going to get on you and start the fight early."

What a great guy! This guy does not call it quits ever it seems. He's been beaten down and a cast away his whole career, but he keeps fighting. He might not have the physical gifts, but that can only take you so far. It's blood, sweat and tears that really defines the person. He definitely fits the Steelers mold.
SH-Rock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 11:32 AM   #9
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 3,558 Times in 1,689 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SH-Rock View Post

This is one of the most insightful quotes I have seen from an O lineman in years!! If Gilbert and Adams were as focused on their technique they would be Pro Bowlers. Max Starks was equally sloppy with his technique.
Old 11-22-2013, 12:33 PM   #10
GBMelBlount
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 5140
Thanked 2,067 Times in 946 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
This is one of the most insightful quotes I have seen from an O lineman in years!! If Gilbert and Adams were as focused on their technique they would be Pro Bowlers. Max Starks was equally sloppy with his technique.
Agreed.

...and with regard to size, Beachum has fairly long arms and Thomas and Pouncey (for example) are smaller offensive lineman who dominate and have been all pro.

If he keeps working smart and hard and puts on another 10 lbs I have every hope he can be a solid starter for us at left tackle.

Now watch him get completely owned next game...

On a side note It would be nice if we did not have to spend ANOTHER high pick on offensive line.

~ 3 Doors Down

GBMelBlount is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GBMelBlount For This Useful Post:
pczach (11-22-2013)