Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 08-01-2006, 05:21 PM   #11
siss
Team Captain

Member Number: 1611
Default Re: Two tight end set

From now on, when I have a football question I will go straight to Tony! He's the man!

He's ready, Steelers fans. His ordeal over, his return will be complete come Saturday in Arizona, when football again becomes the focus and a career briefly interrupted resumes.
~SI aticle 2006~
siss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 05:27 PM   #12
SteelCzar76
Banned

Member Number: 2498

[QUOTE=tony hipchest]just watch what dallas and new england do this season. you isolate a t.e. like b. watson or whitten on either a slower linebacker or a safety who gives up 50 pounds in one on one coverage. you have a disting=ct mismach just about every time you line up in this formation. the 49ers will use this with v. davis and e. johnson.

if you face a heavy defense built to stop the power running game you got an edge. if you face a lighter secondary built to stop the pass you have an edge. i posted a very well written article by pat kirwan that goes further into depth explaining why we will be seeing more of the 2 te set in years to come. ill try to find a link.

Your right Tone,.. the two tight end formation can be very problematic for opposing defenses,....especially if one of the TE's is athletic with decent speed. At the the pro level it's a game of mismatches and exploiting weaknesses. Because let's face ,....everybody's got talent to varying degree's on the their squad.

"Hail Caesar,....Hail the Black and Gold"

Last edited by SteelCzar76; 08-01-2006 at 07:35 PM.
SteelCzar76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 05:52 PM   #13
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,769 Times in 2,935 Posts

[QUOTE=SteelCzar76]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest

Your right Tone,.. the two tight end formation can be very problematic for opposing defenses,....especially if one of the TE's is athletic with decent speed. At the the pro level it's a game of mismatches and exploiting weaknesses. Because let's face ,....everybody's got talent to varaying degree's on the their squad.

"Hail Caesar,....Hail the Black and Gold"
i gotta admit, during the draft i scoffed dallas and patriots drafting a t.e. so early when they seemed so set at the position, and i definitely scratched my head when the steelers took one. i didnt really understand it until i saw kirwan break it down. then you look at the coaches who went this route and you realize they are no slouches and then it all became crystal clear. the league is an ever evolving league and what may have worked last year isnt guranteed to work this year. its the coaches who stay ahead of the curve that remain successful. cowher got bit in 2003 trying to stay ahead of the curve without the proper personnel in place (hence jeromes demotion for a marshal faulk like zeroue)

now the pats and cowboys definitely seem to have the better te's than who the steelers drafted (i think they took the longhorns, and notre dames te's) but lets see what the perdue guy gots. tuman has proven he can catch a ball too. we should be good in this area and more than capable in staying ahead of the curve without giving up on any of our run blocking. which as kirwan joked about is a good reason to hand us the 41 sb trophy now.
tony hipchest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 05:56 PM   #14
BBC
Team Captain

Member Number: 2109

Here is a very good article on what two TE sets do (oddly enough, also by Kirwan).

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/9444769
BBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 06:25 PM   #15
tony hipchest

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBC
Here is a very good article on what two TE sets do (oddly enough, also by Kirwan).

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/9444769
lol. not oddly enough. its the same article. http://forums.steelersfever.com/show...ghlight=kirwan

(great article though - i shoulda provided a direct link)
Old 08-01-2006, 06:28 PM   #16
BBC
Team Captain

Member Number: 2109

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest
lol. not oddly enough. its the same article. http://forums.steelersfever.com/show...ghlight=kirwan

(great article though - i shoulda provided a direct link)
My mistake, thought that the two links you posted in your other post were the same story.

You know it's a good read when people still remember it months later.
BBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 06:41 PM   #17
tony hipchest

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBC
My mistake, thought that the two links you posted in your other post were the same story.

You know it's a good read when people still remember it months later.
no problem. this is a great topic for discussion and had me hyped for the season in may!
Old 08-01-2006, 08:35 PM   #18
SteelerzGirl
Banned

Member Number: 689

Quote:
Originally Posted by siss
Can one of you smart, manly gentalmen explain the two tight end set to little ol'me. How would it benefit our offence. I know we used it a little bit last year. Do we want this? Thanks in advance.
Dang, siss! When I opened this thread, I thought it was going to be about, well, "tight ends." You threw me off, sister...(lol).
SteelerzGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 09:09 PM   #19
siss
Team Captain

Member Number: 1611

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelerzGirl
Dang, siss! When I opened this thread, I thought it was going to be about, well, "tight ends." You threw me off, sister...(lol).
LOL! I know I suprise myself sometimes too! Besides that im tired of being accused of not talking about football. But they guys here know what there talking about.

He's ready, Steelers fans. His ordeal over, his return will be complete come Saturday in Arizona, when football again becomes the focus and a career briefly interrupted resumes.
~SI aticle 2006~
siss is offline   Reply With Quote