Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Bucs

Old 08-01-2006, 04:47 PM   #11
Haiku_Dirtt
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 1645
Default Re: Troy The Zen Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83-Steelers-43
Also, last night on Sports Beat, Troy Polamalu denied all reports of him not resigning when his contract is up with the Steelers in order to play on the west coast. He stated the total opposite actually. He wants to be a Steeler as long as possible.
Polamalu playing on the west coast? Where in the hell do these reporters get this crap? He has some family in Oregon California and on Maui but so what. Manufacturing news.
Haiku_Dirtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 04:56 PM   #12
Haiku_Dirtt
Head Coach
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HometownGal
What an incredibly heartwarming story! I know first-hand what Troy is saying is completely true, as for the last several years, I have been volunteering twice a month at a local hospital reading to terminally ill children and have personally met and witnessed many Steelers, Pirates and Penguins players who visit these children, spend hours playing with them, reading to them, even holding them. You would not believe the powerful positive impact it has on these kids and how that experience can prolong their lives even if for just a little while. Kudos to Troy and all of the other professional athletes who reach into their big hearts to give a part of themselves to these children!
Props to you. My father worked at Children's and he told me often how its effects the spirit positively which is therapeutic.

Troy is surreal.
Old 08-01-2006, 05:31 PM   #13
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 8,816 Times in 3,697 Posts

the steelers have a stubborn approach of not negotiating with any player who has more than a year left on their contract. it has worked and it has been the fiscally responsible way of doing business. i know they dont want to open a can of worms or induce other players to start holding out with several years on their existing contract but if anyone in the whole league deserves a payraise it is t. polamalu. now im not saying they should extend him now (even though it would save money in the longrun) but he should be paid as the highest safety when his time comes. if that means letting a lineman (not faneca) or linebacker go and throwing youngsters into the fire than so be it. other teams seem to do okay with rookie linemen. rookies like s. merriman, d. ware, and l. tatupu, even kendrell bell showed they could hold their own.

troy is the best thing in the steelers secondary since rod woodson and i dont wanna watch him leading other teams to the superbowl. remember when concussions was his downfall (the 1 knock on him coming out of college)? it hasnt happened. if he wants he can probably be a 12-15 year starter like r. harrison and a hall of famer.
tony hipchest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 05:34 PM   #14
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009

I don't care what they have to do. Get him signed long-term. Troy is something special and the scary part is the fact that he's still learning.
Old 08-01-2006, 05:43 PM   #15
SteelersMongol
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 2401

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan
Troy may be the exception to the rule, but IMO every pro athlete says they want to stay with their current team until they sign with someone else. It is all about the $$$.

Does Troy's contract run out at the end of the 2007 season? If so, we hopefully will not be very nervous this time next year, since I do not recall any Steeler unrestricted FA staying if a new contract was not signed prior to the start of the regular season for their last contract year (tick-tock/tick-tock on Ike Taylor right now)

Signing Troy and Ben probably is going to require cutbacks somewhere else. Hope it will not be the O-Line.
Nice post, 83-43! Thank you.

Atlanta, but we're talking about Troy, the man who is humbler than some of the Buddhist monks I know of. This is the guy who drives Kia. I hope they keep Troy till at least 2020.
Old 08-01-2006, 06:01 PM   #16
hardwork
Banned

Member Number: 342

Quote:
Originally Posted by HometownGal
I know first-hand what Troy is saying is completely true, as for the last several years, I have been volunteering twice a month at a local hospital reading to terminally ill children and have personally met and witnessed many Steelers, Pirates and Penguins players who visit these children, spend hours playing with them, reading to them, even holding them.
Good for them, and for you. That's a great thing you're doing, and I bet you learn a lot from those kids.
hardwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 06:04 PM   #17
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 7,964 Times in 3,515 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersMongol
Nice post, 83-43! Thank you.

Atlanta, but we're talking about Troy, the man who is humbler than some of the Buddhist monks I know of. This is the guy who drives Kia. I hope they keep Troy till at least 2020.
I am not saying Troy is a money grubbing mercenary who will play for a nickel more anywhere else - it would be great if he was a lifetime Steeler.

But as those of us who have followed the Steelers for decades know, this team has a rep of playing hardball in negotiations with everyone, even the All-Pros, with the only recent exceptions I can recall being when they splurged, to their regret, on C. Scott & D. Washington.

If the Steelers attempt to play hardball in negotiations with Troy (we are talking about the team that declared Hines Ward to be priority #1 last year and then had a potentially ruinous holdout) it is unreasonable to expect Troy to stay simply because he likes western PA and that "lowball" offer still would be beyond the wildest dream of any NFL player 10 years ago. Combine that with a break the bank offer from somewhere else, together with the potential uncertainty of playing for a new HC if Cowher leaves after this season, and all I am saying is don't count anything until the new contract is signed.

"The Steeler Way" works pretty well but waiting until the last year of a contract to negotiate a new contract with potential free agents creates a steady stream of anxiety that I have no reason to believe will not recur when it is time for Troy to make a deal.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 05:05 AM   #18
Haiku_Dirtt
Head Coach
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan
I am not saying Troy is a money grubbing mercenary who will play for a nickel more anywhere else - it would be great if he was a lifetime Steeler.

But as those of us who have followed the Steelers for decades know, this team has a rep of playing hardball in negotiations with everyone, even the All-Pros, with the only recent exceptions I can recall being when they splurged, to their regret, on C. Scott & D. Washington.

If the Steelers attempt to play hardball in negotiations with Troy (we are talking about the team that declared Hines Ward to be priority #1 last year and then had a potentially ruinous holdout) it is unreasonable to expect Troy to stay simply because he likes western PA and that "lowball" offer still would be beyond the wildest dream of any NFL player 10 years ago. Combine that with a break the bank offer from somewhere else, together with the potential uncertainty of playing for a new HC if Cowher leaves after this season, and all I am saying is don't count anything until the new contract is signed.

"The Steeler Way" works pretty well but waiting until the last year of a contract to negotiate a new contract with potential free agents creates a steady stream of anxiety that I have no reason to believe will not recur when it is time for Troy to make a deal.
Yes and no. Playing hardball is based on leverage. The Steelers live and die by the ability to plug in replacements - perhaps not equals but cost-effective substitutes. Just look at Keisel and Harrison and Foote. You guys could chalk up even more but I'm tired and half asleep.

Irreplacables are extraordinary for the Rooney's. The Greg Lloyds' and Kevin Greens' were 'easy' (not easy!) decisions because their careers were nearly over. Hope and ARE were questionably replaceable.

I was a very very young buck in the late 70's so my perspective of that dynasty is child-like. But I can't remember a time since then that a Steeler team is fielding a group of potential Hall Of Famers like this. Correct me if I'm out there.

Who can replace Troy? Who can replace Hines? Who can replace Ben? Name a player we have access to and I'll say okay. I don't see it.

And that's why they paid Hines. And why they'll pay Ben and Troy. I have no reason to believe that they won't be Steelers for life. And they should be paid the going rate. They are irreplacable.

I love the way Ike plays but he is still one tier away.
Old 08-02-2006, 01:02 PM   #19
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 8,816 Times in 3,697 Posts

(pretty much the same story)
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_464176.html

An update from the world of Troy Polamalu (some good quotes in this one)
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_464365.html

The Steelers won the Super Bowl after coming close so many times before not because they were desperate to win, but because they developed the camaraderie and I'll-do-anything-for-a-teammate mind-set that many championship teams possess.

"I don't know if there was even a hunger last year," he said, dismissing the theory the Steelers wanted to win more than other teams. "We came in here and we had fun doing what we do. We had fun practicing. We have fun hanging out with each other."
tony hipchest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 05:08 PM   #20
Elvis
Banned

Member Number: 2390

First of all... Troy is Not Jesus.... so dont go with that WWTD... Troy is a great player and I hope that the Steelers will keep him in Pittsburgh, but he is Not our whole team.
God Bless All
Elvis
Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote