Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 09-24-2012, 11:28 AM   #31
Steelers>NFL
Team Captain
Supporter

Member Number: 15311
Default Re: The D-line sucks

I refuse to blame the defense's poor play on the absence of Troy & Deebo, as they both are a shadow of the dominant players they once were. At the same time, they are going in a year or two tops. So we need to get use to the idea, and start looking for impact players to fill in for them. Or except that fact that dominant defense
is not the norm anymore. It is an offensive - scoring league now.
Steelers>NFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 11:32 AM   #32
TRH
Living Legend

Member Number: 17206

Hood is becoming very disappointing. We invested so much in him as our #1, the guy should just be a complete stud. Right now he's barely a 2nd tier starter.
TRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 11:44 AM   #33
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter

Member Number: 3236
Thanked 6,468 Times in 2,383 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelers33 View Post
Same thread from last week. Frustrations about the defensive line....go
Lets keep it in the same thread then. No need to start a new one on the same subject.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
MACH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 04:17 PM   #34
maddog78
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 24321
Default Re: Official "Our Defensive Line Sucks" Thread

You guys are watching a scheme that works for guys like Aaron Smith and Bret Keisel, tall with long wingspans, not work for shorter, exposive guys with shorter arms. Throw in the recent rule change that allows chop blocking by adjacent linemen, and our version of the 3-4 is the dodo bird.

Let Heyward and Hood play 1-gap and penetrate. They're both very good at this, but too often are asked to stand up and play read/react while other linemen chop their legs.
maddog78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 04:33 PM   #35
Bayz101
Renegade
Supporter

Member Number: 18856
Thanked 5,052 Times in 2,141 Posts
My Mood: Cheerful

Can't have an official thread for every position, so here is the agenda:

Each week, no matter the outcome of the game, several threads are created all discussing similar topics. We usually merge this all into just a few threads so that everyone's opinions will be discussed and not pushed to page two, and quite frankly, because it makes no sense to have seven threads of complaining about the same damn thing.

So, we'll begin merging threads into the biggest and earliest made discussion on said topic, and so on. I'll leave this be, though. It's already to big to merge. Carry on.

"Either you're playing dumb, or it's not an act". -Judge Judy

No need to drive me crazy. I can walk from here.
Bayz101 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 04:58 PM   #36
Blitzberg06
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 11841

Our fans confidence in the organization sucks too
Old 09-24-2012, 05:26 PM   #37
FrancoLambert
Team President

Member Number: 20827
Thanked 1,987 Times in 1,024 Posts
My Mood: Fine

Hampton and Keisel are pretty much done. Certainly as starters.
Where's the "new" Ziggy Hood with his "transformed" body?
Was Heyward worthy of a #1 pick? Can he rush the QB?
Wasn't McLendon going to shoot up the depth chart once the games began?
After 3 games this thread title says it all.
I'm still shocked about how easy it has become for teams to move the ball against us on the ground.
I shudder when I think about what Rice will do against us. I know it's along way off, but I don't see things changing much with this unit and the scheme they play.
FrancoLambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 12:26 AM   #38
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 14,794 Times in 6,068 Posts
My Mood: Happy

ReFo: Steelers @ Raiders, Week 3

Sam Monson | 2012/09/25

Big Ben Deserved Better

It seems a funny thing to say, given that he had a shot to lead his team on the final drive and win the game but came up short, but I think itís fair to argue that Roethlisbergerís +5.1 graded game deserved better than a defeat. In truth he made a lot of plays, and often extended them with his own trademark style to hit receivers for gains throughout the game.

Unlike some passers who only start to scramble when things break down, Roethlisberger actually uses his movement to open up throwing lanes and coverages by causing the defense to react. He can generate a pass where there wasnít one previously by moving around and shifting the angles relative to defenders. It may cost him some hits and pressure at times, but in the greater scheme of things itís worth the trouble. He finished the game 36 of 46 on his aimed throws (removing two spikes and a throwaway) for 384 yards and four touchdowns. Thatís a passer rating of 130.4

Linebackers Strong Against the Run

They may have been without James Harrison but the Steelers still got some very impressive play from their linebackers. None of the four graded negatively for the game, and three of them scored very well against the run. Lamarr Woodley (+1.8), Larry Foote (+2.3) and Lawrence Timmons (+3.3) all showed very well in the run game, and constantly knifed between blockers to make stops in and around the line of scrimmage. The four linebackers combined for 12 defensive stops and just a single missed tackle.

Though Harrison is obviously a major loss for Pittsburgh, they will be pleased at how Chris Carter played in his stead. Carter may not have graded spectacularly (+0.2), but he made plays in the game and wasnít exposed the way some players can be at that position.

D-Line Needs Reinforcements

I routinely wonder what some Steelers fans see in Ziggy Hood (-2.4), to the point that Iím actually checking plays more times than I normally would just to make sure Iím not missing some extremely subtle and under-the-radar level of dominance from him. Itís just not there. I was actually shocked in this outing when he made a good play in the run gameĖand even then he was beaten to the tackle by Timmons. Despite 36 snaps rushing the passer he failed to generate any pressure whatsoever.

I understand that might not be his specialty in this defense (though given his college background it probably should be), but if heís out there for 36 snaps against the pass he needs to be able to make himself a factor. Otherwise he is just dead weight, because he rarely commands more than one blocker. In the end it was another poor performance from Hood and, as Casey Hampton (-1.3) isnít getting any younger, Pittsburgh need to find some linemen going forward.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blo...aiders-week-3/