Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 09-16-2012, 11:59 PM   #31
Neil-Still-Rules-14
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 1048
Default Re: Who else is loving these refs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrison'samonster View Post
honestly I think the regular refs make as many terrible mistakes. I'm not trying to say that these refs are better, but I don't think the regular refs are that much better
I agree 100%. For whatever reason though, it seems the announcers are way way more willing to call these guys out. That might be the reason they seem so bad.
Neil-Still-Rules-14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 12:22 AM   #32
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair QB
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 9,343 Times in 3,991 Posts
My Mood: Cool

NFL is suffering with replacements

Mike Pereira breaks down the calls for Week 2

UPDATED SEP 17, 2012

I'm officially over it.

I know it just began, but it's time for it to end and you all know what I'm talking about. I don't really care what the issues are or which side has the more legitimate argument, the NFL needs the real referees back on the field.

There were a lot of upsets in Weak 2 yes, I spelled weak correctly from the results of games to results of the calls made on the field. NFL players are the best in the business. The real NFL referees are the best in the business, too. The two sides need to get together now.

There are so many little things that took place Sunday that they are all starting to add up to big things.

From not penalizing a coach for challenging a play that couldn't be challenged (Washington-St. Louis) to allowing the clock to run after an incomplete pass (Cleveland-Cincinnati) to calling a chop block that wasn't a chop block (Dallas-Seattle) to calling an incomplete pass that should have been ruled intentional grounding (Oakland-Miami).

Unfortunately, this list goes on and on

I'm not saying the replacement refs aren't trying their best, because they are. A look at the average penalties called during Week 2 won't differ much from Week 1, but much of the confusion that reigned supreme came from the replacements just not knowing the rules the way the regular officials do.

You can't expect replacements to know the intricacies of the NFL rule book in two weeks on the job. It takes years. But it doesn't take long two weeks to see this is not working.

Let's look at three plays in particular that kind of sum up the day:

WASHINGTON AT ST. LOUIS

Situation: St. Louis had the ball, second-and-1 at the Washington 1-yard line with 9:09 left in the second quarter. Washington led 14-3.

Rams running back Steven Jackson rushed for no gain. He fumbled on the play and it was recovered by the Redskins. St. Louis challenged the fumble ruling and the play was reversed.

This should never have happened. A coach is not allowed to challenge a play when a turnover is ruled on the field. It's an automatic 15-yard penalty. Also, depending on when the challenge flag came from St. Louis coach Jeff Fisher, the play likely shouldn't have been reviewed anyway. If Fisher threw the challenge flag before the replay official initiated the review, then a review is not allowable by rule. If the review is initiated first, before the challenge flag is thrown, it's still a 15-yard penalty, but you can review the play.

DALLAS AT SEATTLE.

Situation: Seattle had the ball, second-and-6 at the Dallas 22-yard line with 6:03 left in the second quarter. Seattle led 10-7.

Seahawks running back Marshawn Lynch rushed for one yard. A penalty was called on Seattle's J.R. Sweezy and Max Unger for a chop block against Marcus Spears.

This was not a chop block. The play would have been a foul in college and it was called by a former college official. However, in the NFL, it is legal to chop block a defender on the back side of a run if the two offensive lineman that chop are lined up next to each other at the snap. Sweezy was the right guard and Unger is the center. That's why it was a legal block and the foul shouldn't have been called.

CLEVELAND AT CINCINNATI.

Situation: Cincinnati had the ball, first-and-20 at the Bengals' 47-yard line with 3:25 left in the second quarter. Cincinnati led 17-10.

Cincinnati quarterback Andy Dalton attempted a short pass to A.J. Green that was incomplete. The clock continued to run when it shouldn't have.

The officials are responsible for monitoring the clock. The timer, who is located in the press box, should have stopped the clock but didn't. Officials are always told to keep their eyes on the clock and to correct it when necessary. It was necessary here. Twenty-nine seconds ran off the clock with 3:25 left to go in the second quarter. Cleveland had the ball at the end of the half and who knows what might have happened if the Browns had another 29 seconds to try and kick a field goal or even score a possible touchdown.

End this now. Please.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/R...-suffer-091612
Old 09-17-2012, 02:09 AM   #33
ricardisimo
Administrator

Member Number: 15369

I think Mr. Perreira has a unique insight into whether or not these bozos should stick around any further. Listen to the man.
Old 09-17-2012, 06:25 AM   #34
BowCatShot
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 24236

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrison'samonster View Post
honestly I think the regular refs make as many terrible mistakes. I'm not trying to say that these refs are better, but I don't think the regular refs are that much better
I agree with you there.
BowCatShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 06:29 AM   #35
BowCatShot
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 24236

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkstorm05 View Post
My biggest issue with them is that they clearly don't know the rules. When they called grounding on Ben, they had to have someone on the sidelines explain to them that it comes with a loss of down. Who watched last weeks game when they simply gave the Seahawks extra timeouts because they had no clue they were supposed to take one away? Half the plays you get conflicting calls, and they need to call up to the booth for a popcorn vendor to straighten the call out for them. And this goes for all the games I've watched so far, but these guys couldn't spot a ball if they had a SEAL team popping smoke to mark targets for them.

They know that their time is limited before the regulars take over, so they gotta make as much scratch as they can as quickly as they can. Obviously which ever owner puts the most dough into the refs bank accounts, his team gets the call. Elementary Watson, elementary.
BowCatShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 07:45 AM   #36
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 5,798 Times in 2,680 Posts

Peter King is off the scab refs bandwagon - hopefully the national media turning on this probelm will get a deal done

Last week I thought the replacement officials were adequate. Watching football Sunday, I felt like a passenger in a car going 20 miles an hour too fast on a mountain road with hairpin turns; we weren't going to die, but it was going to be a dicey ride....

At the NBC studios, where I watched the games Sunday, I sat for much of the day with former NFL official Jim Daopoulos, hired by the network as an officiating consultant. Daopoulos thought the replacements did a passable job in Week 1, as most impartial observers would have. But he thought there was something troubling about the Week 2 performances.

"Now the players are taking advantage of the lack of experience and the lack of game-control by the replacement officials,'' Daopoulos said during the second half of the Sunday night game. "They're just too inconsistent. The players are pushing them. And the inconsistency is natural, because this is not something you can learn as quickly as they have to learn it. They don't know what illegal contact is; it's a rule that was put in to allow receivers to be able to run free after five yards, and these crews do not know the rule, or they're not calling it correctly.''...

What do I think will happen? Roger Goodell, who thinks he's given enough already (raises of about $50,000 per official over the life of a new contract, while converting to less lucrative pensions, which the league has done with the majority of its full-time employees), will stay dug in. If union leaders Scott Green and Jeff Triplette hear the siren song of their men, I think either this week or next, there will be renewed talks, and the deal will get done. But that's if Green and Triplette give in, and I don't know if they will. I sense Green is the hard-liner here. If he's not willing to give in on the pension, the situation could last a while.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...p&sct=hp_wr_a2
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 07:48 AM   #37
Darkstorm05
Team Captain

Member Number: 19897

"Eventually getting it right" is fine on some plays...but how about when they gave Seattle an extra free timeout when they wanted to slow the game down? By the time the refs conferred and figured out what was going on, the offense had already had their momentum broken. How about all these teams having to eat up challenge flags just to get the ball spotted in the proper place? Or the refs calling a 2nd 2 minute warning in the 4th quarter? If you're trying to mount a last minute comeback, that's a gigantic freebie that can't be undone even if they realize they were wrong. That shouldn't be happening.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/pos...placement-refs

They screwed the Ravens with a bogus PI call, too. Anyone else remember our game last week when they called a foul on Redman during a punt return...when he was standing off on the sidelines? 5 minutes of discussion while they tried to figure out how to explain that they were on crack.
Darkstorm05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 07:51 AM   #38
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 1,622 Times in 812 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardisimo View Post
I think Mr. Perreira has a unique insight into whether or not these bozos should stick around any further. Listen to the man.
Yes, but I also think Mr Perreira has an emotional connection to many of the bozos on strike that he used to work with.

I have no sympathy for a group that turns down an agreement that will pay individuals $200k a year to referee 16 regular season games.
Old 09-17-2012, 08:00 AM   #39
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 5,798 Times in 2,680 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
Yes, but I also think Mr Perreira has an emotional connection to many of the bozos on strike that he used to work with.

I have no sympathy for a group that turns down an agreement that will pay individuals $200k a year to referee 16 regular season games.
Agree Perreira has a bias as a former co-worker of the regular refs, but I have more sympathy for the refs than I do the league office

It is all relative - the league is rolling in money but want to cut the pension contribution

Who is more overpaid - the refs or Goodell and his cronies in the league office?
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 08:13 AM   #40
MeanGee2047
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 24036

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVSteelersfan View Post
I swear they cost us the first game. That play where Thomas scored was an absolutely clear holding call against our CB who had a bead on Thomas. And the spotting of the ball is atrocious. The only good thing is that the calls seem to be really bad going both ways for the most part. A lot of head scratchers.
Whats funny is they kept showing it as the Papa John's play of the week and they clearly show the corner getting grabbed by the back of his jersey...http://forums.steelersfever.com/imag...es/banging.gif
MeanGee2047 is offline   Reply With Quote