Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Browns Bills
September 7, 2014, 1:00pmET

CBS

Old 09-18-2012, 12:42 AM   #31
Jpeezyiseternal
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 24248
Default Re: Should Dwyer Start Ove Redman????

Redman just doesn't seem to explode like mendenhall has the potential to, and he doesn't run as strong and hard as dwyer does. Needless to say, I miss The Bus : (
Jpeezyiseternal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 01:39 AM   #32
Sean95m
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 18937

Dwyer has the most potential of the 3. Rememebr he was 1st round talent till he messed up in college. Mendenhall I like but we know what we will see out of week in and week out. I think Dwyer has the best upside.
Sean95m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 01:44 AM   #33
steeltheone
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 6351

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean95m View Post
Dwyer has the most potential of the 3. Rememebr he was 1st round talent till he messed up in college. Mendenhall I like but we know what we will see out of week in and week out. I think Dwyer has the best upside.
Well, this is year number 3...Hope that 1st round talent surfaces soon!
Old 09-18-2012, 06:55 PM   #34
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 10,501 Times in 4,481 Posts
My Mood: Mellow

Looking to get ground game rolling

Teresa Varley - Steelers.com

The Steelers have a long history of running backs producing 100-yard games, but so far in two games this season they havent averaged 100 yards rushing per game as a team, with only 54 rushes for 141 yards for a 2.6-yard average per carry.

We havent run the ball as well as we have liked, said Coach Mike Tomlin. Im not interested in assigning blame in that regard. I will take responsibility for it.

The reality is weve got room for growth. We need to tighten up our menu and lean on the things we are doing well. We need to block better and put the ball where it needs to be on a more consistent basis.

The Steelers have been without running back Rashard Mendenhall in the first two weeks, although Tomlin did say he would get more work in practice this week but his status for Sundays game on the road against the Oakland Raiders has not been determined. Jonathan Dwyer and Isaac Redmanhave shared the workload for the running game, with Dwyer averaging 3.4 yards per carry and Redman two yards per carry through two games.

We all have a hand in where our running game is right now, said Tomlin. I hope that we all have a hand in correcting it in the near future. I know it needs to be an asset for us moving forward, particularly as we move into a hostile environment like the one we are going into this weekend.

The Steelers were able to move the ball on the ground in the fourth quarter against the New York Jets at Heinz Field this past week, with eight rushing plays for 31 yards during a drive that was a little over 10 minutes and ended with a two-yard touchdown run by Redman.

Tomlin was pleased with the performance of the ground game on the drive, but not fully satisfied.

Im looking for more than that, said Tomlin. We were able to run the ball and possess the ball. I think we ran it six or seven times for right around 30 yards. Thats not what Im looking for. Im actually looking for better than that.

The Steelers passing game has accounted for 520 yards through two games, with Ben Roethlisberger completing 46 of 71 pass attempts.

The key now is to get the offense balanced, something Tomlin is confident will come in time.

I think in the long term we seek balance, said Tomlin. Its dangerous to look for those types of things at this juncture because were only two weeks, or eight quarters of football, into it. Over the long haul, absolutely we intend to strike a balance offensively and possess the ball and score. Its just probably a little early for us, at this point, to paint with a broad brush.

http://www.steelers.com/news/article...2-7350c9c187ef
Old 09-20-2012, 03:57 PM   #35
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 1,904 Times in 954 Posts

You know, I watched the game again and some of those runs Redman was standing behind the the line of scrimmage shuffling his feet while there was no hole to run thru. Dare I say that some would call that "Dancing".

Looks like Redman dances too much, but he's got no rythmn.
Old 09-20-2012, 04:33 PM   #36
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 3,535 Times in 1,536 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
You know, I watched the game again and some of those runs Redman was standing behind the the line of scrimmage shuffling his feet while there was no hole to run thru. Dare I say that some would call that "Dancing".

Looks like Redman dances too much, but he's got no rythmn.
everybody loves the backup...

only took em one game to hop off redmans nuts onto dwyers....

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 05:20 PM   #37
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 7,099 Times in 3,081 Posts

and did you see him spin into the endzone when he finally scored? he spins TOO much... i wish he'd lose that damn spin move.
Old 09-20-2012, 05:37 PM   #38
wera176
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 18645

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean95m View Post
Whaaat? No way man, iirc, Mendenhall was the better back in college and (assuming he's recovered from his injury) is the better back now. I like Dwyer (and Redman) but neither one is the same class as Mendy. (IMO)

Mendy has put up decent numbers for us considering that he was running for an OC that DIDN'T EVEN RUN THE RUNNING PLAYS THEY PRACTICED the week before the game.

I believe that now that we have a real OC, people are going to see the Mendy we all expected when he was drafted...

No doubt though, Dwyer is on a mission right now and I love it!
wera176 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 05:37 PM   #39
FrancoLambert
Head Coach

Member Number: 20827
Thanked 1,612 Times in 843 Posts
My Mood: Fine

Rotate them and give more carries to the hot hand on that particular day.
It stokes competition and forces more adjustments on the defense.
If our O-line steps up its game, both can be very productive.
Although his stats don't impress you, it's looking like Dwyer has a nice upside.
His style of running, power with more speed than Redman.
FrancoLambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 05:38 PM   #40
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 3,535 Times in 1,536 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
and did you see him spin into the endzone when he finally scored? he spins TOO much... i wish he'd lose that damn spin move.
i did indeed ...
between the dancing, getting hit behind the line, and spinning... NEXT

bring on dwyer !!!....then batch...then rainy..then sign whoever any other team cut....lather, rinse, repeat until we average 10 yds a carry..

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote