Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 09-17-2012, 08:17 AM   #21
Kanata-Steeler
Team President

Member Number: 15552
Default Re: 331 Yards Of Offense, 27 Points.

The Offense played very good, and so did our D, with the crowd, :) , after the 1st quarter or so.
Kanata-Steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 10:03 AM   #22
MeanGee2047
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 24036

Had a problem with the gadget running play for a loss when the Jets were on their heels due to the passing game....other than that...Haley and Ben called a good game....
MeanGee2047 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 11:08 AM   #23
jiminpa
Team Captain

Member Number: 20511

Quote:
Originally Posted by lardlad View Post
Yeah Ben played well, but about what you expect from him. I honestly think the difference was being able to run in the fourth. What ever you want to attribute that to. The jets wanted nothing to do with our runners at the end of the game. I think what run game did wont show up on paper. We did a lot in the fourth that the jets wouldnt have let happen in the first qtr.
This, and remember the offense is just learning to play professional football after five years of Ben drawing plays in the chalk lines in the huddle. It may take them a few weeks to hit stride. I like the improvement from last week to this week.
jiminpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 01:35 PM   #24
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 14,540 Times in 5,961 Posts
My Mood: Happy

Steelers Report Card: Offense wakes up to dominate Jets

By Chuck Finder | CBSSports.com
September 17, 2012

The absences of two of the past four defensive players of the year hardly made a ripple, what with James Harrison (knee) and Troy Polamalu (calf) ailing. What changed the tide for the Steelers was the offense behind a 24-for-31 Ben Roethlisberger gobbling up 36 minutes of possession time and scoring TDs on half of its final six possessions. In fact, the offense hardly gave the New York Jets much of a chance in the second half of this 27-10 spanking Sunday.

Offense: B-minus. For the second consecutive game, the Steelers failed to score touchdowns on their first couple of deep drives, failed to capitalize on field possession or clock-consuming marches for 2 quarters. On Sunday, though, they eventually awoke from that slumber. They did it with passes to running backs and tight ends (8 of 24 completions total). They did it without a running game (66 yards on 28 carries, a measly 2.4 yards per). Mostly, this triumph was owed to the offensive line's ability to protect Roethlisberger decently, despite its inability to create much running room, and Roethlisberger's pinpoint passing (125.1 rating).

Defense: B-plus. Without Harrison and Polamalu, the defense allowed the Jets scores on their opening pair of possessions and a 10-6 lead. Yet with steady pressure, including a hard clout by linebacker Lawrence Timmons, the Steelers caused Mark Sanchez to go from 4 for 5 for 80 yards to 6 for 22 for 58 yards the rest of the way. Ryan Clark topped them with eight tackles and played a dynamic role, shifting between free and strong safetys. Can he do that when Polamalu returns?

Special teams: B-plus. They kept Jeremy Kerley from scoring a TD return, which is more than Buffalo could muster. Rookie Drew Butler got three punts inside the 20, and two at the 10 or closer, all the while collecting a 39.8-yard net. Shaun Suisham remained perfect on field goals, though his 45-yard line drives Sunday looked to be near his max distance. And special teams co-coach Mike Tomlin allowed rookie Chris Rainey to return kickoffs at home in Heinz Field, but will he let him Sunday in Oakland and beyond?

Coaching: B-minus. It took a couple of Jets offensive possessions for the defense to either catch up or merely settle its overanxious ways, what with Clark -- who sat out the Denver game -- admitting he zealously bit on every Sanchez fake the first two drives. All of the Steelers' 10 penalties for 107 yards can't be ascribed simply to replacement officials. How will the Steelers play Sunday at an 0-2 Oakland with a bye week behind that?

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/nf...-dominate-jets
Old 09-17-2012, 03:24 PM   #25
Steelerfreak58
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 8080

Good assessment
Old 09-17-2012, 06:23 PM   #26
Ricco Suavez
Head Coach

Member Number: 7718

I am not knocking the Offense, but I just think we should take yesterdays game for what it was. We still did not run well, sorry but 28 attempts for 66 yards not going to get it done in this league on a regular bases. To say Ben played well is an understatement, 24-31 275 2 TDs is an outstanding afternoon. If we continue to run at this rate then Ben and the receivers are going to have to come up big every game. I was not down on them last week and not down this week especially after a win, but this everything is rosy now is a pipe dream. We are still a long way from running the ball effective. One series late in the game and suddenly we are the Steelers of old and Redman or Dwyer is the second coming of Bettis. I just think we need to not set us up for another big disappointment when we lose another game and its all Ben's fault cause he cannot pull out a win. Haley did a much better job yesterday of mixing the run and not putting his QB in obvious passing situations on 3rd and long.
Ricco Suavez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 06:34 PM   #27
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 8,303 Times in 3,482 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

can't wait till mendenhall is back and healthy, i think he can do well in this offensive scheme we have
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 07:56 PM   #28
Ricco Suavez
Head Coach

Member Number: 7718

I like the talk that we ran better this week , or we did not abandon the run like we did last week. Truth we ran 2 times more this week than last, yet we run for 9 yards less. Our running game is no better than last year, our Time of possession is likely first in the league this year, but it was last year also. This offense is not there yet, I want to emphasis that. We won against a middle of the pack team, we play a cellar dweller this week. All this talk of a renewed run attack is overboard to say the least. Enjoy the win, enjoy some of the finer aspects that the team did better, but we are far from a top ten offense yet. And while I prepare myself for an onslaught of being called an Arians lover, let me add more fuel. IMO we need to throw more downfield, that's right you heard correctly. I said we need to throw some deep routes more often. I see defenses already not respecting the deep ball and coming up to stop most if not all runs. The more we target Heath and the RBs out of the backfield as well as the short routes underneath we will see more men closer to the line. We are going to have to take some shots downfield to loosen up the defense. I believe this group can get it done, not to the tune of 30ppg but enough to take some pressure off an aging defense. I believe we can run somewhat better, but not like most on here want and not with the current O-Line. I like what Haley is doing with the TE and RB as pass catchers, I liked this weeks mix of pass, run, pass instead of run, run, pass. What I liked most of all is Ben played smart, turnover free, and efficient passer. Ben is the key, we go as Ben goes and whether you like him or not, it is the truth.
Ricco Suavez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 08:58 PM   #29
Riddle_Of_Steel
Head Coach

Member Number: 13727

I think right now, they are using the running game merely as a change of pace and to minimize the number of hits that Ben is taking. And it is working.

Under both coordinators, we found ourselves in a lot of 3rd and longs, but the difference right now, is that the RBs are taking some of those hits for Ben on 1st and 2nd down, whereas before, those were QB hurries, hits, and sacks.

We are still primarily a passing offense, but Haley is using the ground game effectively to keep the defenses honest, and to wear them out.

The stat sheet will never show what the Steelers running game did to the Jets on Sunday, but watching the tape, they were gassed by the middle of the 3rd quarter, having to stop Redman consistently, while dealing with what Ben can bring. While our running game managed a paltry 2.5 ypc, the Jets' defense looked like it wanted to have no part of dealing with Redman anymore by the end of the 4th quarter.

I like what I am seeing, and this offense is only going to get better. The Oline is STARTING to gel, Haley is starting to get comfortable with what he has to work with, and he is showing a dedication to running the ball, even if it is not burning off 30 yarders.
Old 09-17-2012, 09:22 PM   #30
Edman
Living Legend

Member Number: 3261
My Mood: Brooding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricco Suavez View Post
I am not knocking the Offense, but I just think we should take yesterdays game for what it was. We still did not run well, sorry but 28 attempts for 66 yards not going to get it done in this league on a regular bases. To say Ben played well is an understatement, 24-31 275 2 TDs is an outstanding afternoon. If we continue to run at this rate then Ben and the receivers are going to have to come up big every game. I was not down on them last week and not down this week especially after a win, but this everything is rosy now is a pipe dream. We are still a long way from running the ball effective. One series late in the game and suddenly we are the Steelers of old and Redman or Dwyer is the second coming of Bettis. I just think we need to not set us up for another big disappointment when we lose another game and its all Ben's fault cause he cannot pull out a win. Haley did a much better job yesterday of mixing the run and not putting his QB in obvious passing situations on 3rd and long.
No, we're not saying everything is peachy perfect, but we're seeing some encouraging glimpses. This Offense will run into some brick walls and growing pains every now and then, and our run game is missing, but in two games this offense is already a drastic improvement over the Arians Offense.
Edman is online now   Reply With Quote