Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 09-16-2012, 11:23 PM   #1
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 14,510 Times in 5,954 Posts
My Mood: Happy
Default Ryan Clark is Steelers Digest Player of Week

Clark is Digest Player of Week

by Bob Labriola
Steelers Digest

In the National Football League, it’s not necessarily a good thing when your free safety leads the team in tackles. In many cases, that can indicate a game where the opposing offense was successful in getting the ball down the field on a consistent basis, but that doesn’t describe what happened yesterday at Heinz Field.

Ryan Clark led the Steelers in tackles, but since the Jets scored only one touchdown – that coming on their first possession of the game – and only crossed midfield once in the entire second half, it was obviously not a situation where they were having their way with the Steelers defense. One of Clark’s tackles was for a loss, he had one pass defensed and got pressure on Jets quarterback Mark Sanchez a couple of times.

On a day when the Steelers defense had to play without a pair of All-Pros – James Harrison and Troy Polamalu – Ryan Clark stepped up and delivered. He is the Steelers Digest Player of the Week.

Also considered were quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, who made a strong case for a second straight Player of the Week designation by completing 24-of-31 to 10 different receivers for 275 yards with two touchdowns and no interceptions for a passer rating of 125.1; Antonio Brown, who led the team with seven catches for 79 yards and returned a punt for 10 more; Mike Wallace, who made a Pro Bowl play to get inside Jets CB Antonio Cromartie for a 37-yard touchdown reception; and LaMarr Woodley, who had two tackles, including one for a loss, one sack and two other hits on the quarterback.

http://www.steelers.com/news/article...1-a1eb0a07ecc1
Old 09-16-2012, 11:26 PM   #2
StainlessStill
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 12999
Thanked 2,098 Times in 842 Posts
Default Re: Ryan Clark is Steelers Digest Player of Week

As I walked out of Heinz Field today with the epic chant of Here We Go Steelers echoing inside of the Coca Cola Great Hall, I had a convo with my father about how Ryan Clark is the piece of the secondary puzzle that allows LeBeau's defense to play within itself. Clark is one of the most underrated Steelers of all time. Troy is a manimal, but Clark makes him better. Better in coverage too. #25 brings the attitude in our defense by far.

Also, Ben is (still) amazing. He's the most exciting QB in the league to watch. You just anticipate when the breakdown is coming, but you could never wrap your mind on how he ever does it. Truly AWESOME.
Old 09-16-2012, 11:28 PM   #3
harrison'samonster
Living Legend

Member Number: 17630
Thanked 11,223 Times in 4,478 Posts
My Mood: Tired

I've got to agree, Clark is highly underrated. He's been a favorite for a while.
Old 09-16-2012, 11:51 PM   #4
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 3,452 Times in 1,631 Posts

Anybody that thinks Ryan Mundy isnt much of a drop off at FS compared to Ryan Clark is dillusional. The guy is so important to the defense and is both quicker and more instinctive than Mundy. He's a guy the Steelers need to look at a successor for since he isnt getting much younger.
Old 09-16-2012, 11:55 PM   #5
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 8,294 Times in 3,476 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
Anybody that thinks Ryan Mundy isnt much of a drop off at FS compared to Ryan Clark is dillusional. The guy is so important to the defense and is both quicker and more instinctive than Mundy. He's a guy the Steelers need to look at a successor for since he isnt getting much younger.
clark definitely was today's star on defense. i did think mundy played well also though
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 12:02 AM   #6
austinfrench76
Head Coach

Member Number: 3516

I said that I think losing Clark last week was worse than Troy this week. A purely situational statement but true. #25 is the man!
austinfrench76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 12:03 AM   #7
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 8,294 Times in 3,476 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinfrench76 View Post
I said that I think losing Clark last week was worse than Troy this week. A purely situational statement but true. #25 is the man!
could be true. clark being consistently good is a big reason why troy can just freelance and we usually don't give up the big plays
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 12:05 AM   #8
SquirrelHillSteelNut
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 24311
My Mood: Buzzed

that hit that Ryan made on Holmes in the fourth quarter, geez i got shades of magahee memories from 2008. BAMM!!! *ouch* :)
SquirrelHillSteelNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 12:56 AM   #9
jiminpa
Team Captain

Member Number: 20511

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquirrelHillSteelNut View Post
that hit that Ryan made on Holmes in the fourth quarter, geez i got shades of magahee memories from 2008. BAMM!!! *ouch* :)
It's just too bad that football is illegal in the NFL now.
jiminpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 03:19 AM   #10
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 14,510 Times in 5,954 Posts
My Mood: Happy

Kovacevic: Steelers’ D goes for the KO

By Dejan Kovacevic
Published: Monday, September 17, 2012

The Steelers Lawrence Timmons is flagged for hitting Jets quarterback Mark Sanchez in the second quarter

The Steelers had not the faintest idea what they were doing on defense.

Remember it?

Rewind to the Jets’ first offensive series, while the sun was still shining Sunday and fans were still filing into Heinz Field. Mark Sanchez was behind center, barking audibles. In response, Ryan Clark sprinted up from his safety spot to move a few pieces himself. And in response to that, his fellow defenders began tripping all over each other. Inside linebacker Lawrence Timmons somehow wound up all alone 20 yards off the line.

“We were kind of just off a little bit,” Clark savagely understated later.

How that play netted the Jets only an 11-yard catch by Santonio Holmes will remain a mystery.

But this won’t: The Steelers’ defense, even after allowing Sanchez, Holmes and crew to coast 90 yards for a touchdown, came back with a counterpunch we haven’t seen for quite a while.

During that drive, Sanchez was 4 of 5 for 80 yards and the touchdown.

Looked pretty slick, too.

After it, he was 6 of 22 for 58 yards, no touchdowns, two sacks.

Looked almost sick.

And maybe he was.

See, if you listen to Clark and Mike Tomlin, the Steelers suddenly flipped the switch after that opening drive and solidified all facets to take this 27-10 victory.

“It wasn’t changes,” as the head coach put it. “We just buckled down and play a little better.”

But from the press box, man, it sure looked like the change emanated from a single seismic hit by — wait for it — Lawrence Timmons.

Yeah, him. The impact player who so seldom makes an impact.

On the Jets’ very next series, Sanchez rolled right on a third-down scramble, released an errant pass and … BOOM! The crown of Timmons’ helmet met Sanchez head-on and crumpled him.

Timmons was flagged for a personal foul, and he’ll probably hear from Roger Goodell’s fine collectors this week.

The Steelers defended Timmons to a man, and Timmons claimed innocence, too, stressing that Sanchez lowered his head just as he arrived.

“By the time I came to hit him … it’s a gray area in the league there,” Timmons said. “I’m just playing ball.”

I don’t doubt the intention, but I also don’t dispute the flag. He led with the crown. He’ll open the wallet.

And it’ll be a price well worth paying, for it changed the game in a way this defense seldom has since 2010.

Sanchez was adamant the “shot,” as he called it, didn’t affect him — “Absolutely not,” he said — but you’d have to be nuts to buy that.

Clark sure wouldn’t.

“It would affect me if a guy came in and lowered the boom on me like that,” Clark said. “I think when quarterbacks start getting hit, they’re different people. That’s why they play quarterback.”

Nice.

Coincidence or not — and I don’t think it was — the defense began clobbering the Jets as a whole.

Ryan Mundy leveled running back Shonn Greene with a shoulder hit that resulted in an unspecified “head injury,” according to the Jets. Greene returned, but he’d gain a futile 23 yards on 11 carries.

“We wanted to be aggressive,” Mundy said.

Dick LeBeau wasted LaMarr Woodley last week in Denver and on the first drive of this game, dropping him into pass coverage and lifting him on third downs. But in the third quarter, with Woodley and Chris Carter storming Sanchez from either end, Woodley recorded his first sack.

“We wanted to put pressure on the QB,” Woodley said. “That’s how we were calling the plays.”

Nobody had his number called more than Clark. He seized upon his first action since the meaningless Cleveland finale last winter — the Steelers’ past two games were in Denver, where his sickle cell trait keeps him from playing — by recording a team-high eight tackles, two for losses and most with painful consequences.

What changed for Clark after the early mishaps?

“No. 25 just stopped playing really bad. Period,” he said. “I was just excited, I had a lot of emotion, and I was a little anxious. Everywhere Mark Sanchez pump-faked, I went. I just stopped being a knucklehead.”

Clark deserves immense credit. He was the Steelers’ best player on a day they desperately needed it, trying to avoid 0-2, trying to overcome the absence of James Harrison and Troy Polamalu.

If Clark wasn’t going to lead the way physically and neither of those two gentlemen could go, I’d venture to guess no one — including Timmons — would follow.

I asked Clark if he felt the Steelers were the more physical team.

“I do. And that’s how you win. That’s what we preached all week. Even if you make a mistake, get to the ball and be physical.”

Cleans up a lot of messes.

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/...#ixzz26hY0ggQX