Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 09-18-2012, 04:41 AM   #1
Bayz101
Renegade
Supporter

Member Number: 18856
Thanked 4,643 Times in 1,994 Posts
My Mood: Cheerful
Default Steelers Fever Exclusive Editorial: Want a Cookie?

As illogical as it sounds, there is such a thing as a good penalty. Do not get me wrong… penalties usually suck, but allow me to explain the difference between a bad call, a bad penalty, and a good penalty. Ike Taylor being called for pass interference, when he never laid a hand on Santonio Holmes is quintessentially a bad call. Willie “The” Colon standing up before the snap of the ball (in Denver), drawing a false start, is a bad penalty. And, Lawrence Timmons laying the wood on Mark Sanchez, in turn, drawing a flag, was a good penalty.

For those out there who still do not get the difference… well, here is a quick way to check a person’s football IQ. Ask someone: “Was Timmons’s getting flagged for a personal foul penalty a good thing or a bad thing?” If they reply that it is a good thing, then you can carry on your conversation with this knowledgeable chap; if they reply that it is a bad thing, then they might not understand the concept of delayed gratification.

Read more: http://www.steelersfever.com/editorials/1008.html

"Either you're playing dumb, or it's not an act". -Judge Judy

No need to drive me crazy. I can walk from here.
Bayz101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 04:53 AM   #2
Bayz101
Renegade
Supporter

Member Number: 18856
Thanked 4,643 Times in 1,994 Posts
My Mood: Cheerful
Default Re: Steelers Fever Exclusive Editorial: Want a Cookie?

Awesome commentary!

"Either you're playing dumb, or it's not an act". -Judge Judy

No need to drive me crazy. I can walk from here.
Bayz101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 06:54 AM   #3
SteelersFever
Founder

Member Number: 1

Editorial is published everywhere. Great work!
SteelersFever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 08:05 AM   #4
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 22,941 Times in 9,370 Posts
My Mood: Dead

Thanks again, for this opportunity.
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 08:44 AM   #5
TheDude
Draft Prospect

Tower Defense 2007 Champion!
Member Number: 24204

In the words of Mikey T

I LIKE IT!!! I LIKE IT!!!

TheDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 04:44 AM   #6
lloydwoodson
Head Coach

Member Number: 23495

While I agree that Timmons' hit affected Sanchez's play, I do not think it is a good idea to laud the benefit of illegal hits on quarterbacks in this era. The Steelers have been getting a reputation for being a dirty team (even though everyone here knows that is not the case) and this kind of article and attitude does not help.

Obviously Timmons was trying to lay a good, clean hit on Sanchez and unfortunately his shoulder made contact with Sanchez's head. I hope Timmons accepts responsibility for the hit and does not allow fines to affect the intense way he plays the game.

lloydwoodson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 08:07 AM   #7
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 22,941 Times in 9,370 Posts
My Mood: Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydwoodson View Post
While I agree that Timmons' hit affected Sanchez's play, I do not think it is a good idea to laud the benefit of illegal hits on quarterbacks in this era. The Steelers have been getting a reputation for being a dirty team (even though everyone here knows that is not the case) and this kind of article and attitude does not help.

Obviously Timmons was trying to lay a good, clean hit on Sanchez and unfortunately his shoulder made contact with Sanchez's head. I hope Timmons accepts responsibility for the hit and does not allow fines to affect the intense way he plays the game.

I see your point, and I hope that you don't think that I would condone injuring another player.  It is just that this type of hit was not illegal until a year or so ago.  

Likewise, this type of hit on a WR or on a RB is completely legal... and Sanchez was running.  In the 2010 regular season game, on 4th & inches, Sanchez rolled out, and ran for a TD.  He is a very capable runner.  True, he had the ball up, in the throwing position, but that doesn't mean that he couldn't run with it (and/or be pump faking).  Simply, he was running forward, regardless of the ball's location.  

And, lastly, Sanchez ducked his head.  If he had remained where he was initially, Timmons's shoulder hits him in the upper chest.  

Ergo, considering that Sanchez is a capable runner, Timmons started off tackling him "cleanly", and that this type of hit has been "legal" for 100 years (& is still legal on all other players)... I think that getting a flag on this play is very ticky-tack... and furthermore, that 15 yards was worth it, in order to shut down Sanchez for the remainder of the game.  
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote