Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 09-18-2012, 07:40 AM   #1
Vis
In Hoc
Supporter

Member Number: 5117
Thanked 2,687 Times in 1,488 Posts
Default The Romney Tape

Funny stuff. And it will trickle out piece by piece.

But first:

[YOUTUBE]PVyXbTn-YIo[/YOUTUBE]

All generalizations are dangerous.
Vis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 08:14 AM   #2
Vis
In Hoc
Supporter

Default Re: The Romney Tape

SECRET VIDEO: Romney Tells Millionaire Donors What He REALLY Thinks of Obama Voters

During a private fundraiser earlier this year, Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney told a small group of wealthy contributors what he truly thinks of all the voters who support President Barack Obama. He dismissed these Americans as freeloaders who pay no taxes, who don't assume responsibility for their lives, and who think government should take care of them. Fielding a question from a donor about how he could triumph in November, Romney replied:

There are 47 percent of the people who will vote for the president no matter what. All right, there are 47 percent who are with him, who are dependent upon government, who believe that they are victims, who believe the government has a responsibility to care for them, who believe that they are entitled to health care, to food, to housing, to you-name-it. That that's an entitlement. And the government should give it to them. And they will vote for this president no matter what…These are people who pay no income tax.

Romney went on: "[M]y job is is not to worry about those people. I'll never convince them they should take personal responsibility and care for their lives."

Mother Jones has obtained video of Romney at this intimate fundraiser—where he candidly discussed his campaign strategy and foreign policy ideas in stark terms he does not use in public—and has confirmed its authenticity. To protect the confidential source who provided the video, we have blurred some of the image, and we will not identify the date or location of the event, which occurred after Romney had clinched the Republican presidential nomination. [UPDATE: We can now report [1] that this fundraiser was held at the Boca Raton home of controversial private equity manager Marc Leder on May 17 and we've removed the blurring from the video. See the original blurred videos here.]

http://www.motherjones.com/print/195471

Old 09-18-2012, 08:26 AM   #3
Vis
In Hoc
Supporter

So many things wrong with what Romney said.

First, it is true that almost half of the electorate will vote for Obama. The same is true for Romney. The fight is always for the small percentage in the middle, and to keep the fringe in line and not voting green or libertarian etc... But that has nothing to do with who pays income taxes.

Most of those not paying income taxes come from red states.

60% of those not paying income taxes do have jobs and pay payroll taxes. The payroll taxes for those workers actually add up to a greater percentage of taxes than the income tax Romney paid last year. He didn't pay payroll taxes because his income isn't wages. Bully for him. Romney, by the words of his statement said these people have no sense of personal responsibility. I hope all the people working terrible hours for too little pay and no benefits vote for Obama. If they do, it's over for Romney.

Of the remaining, most are elderly retired people. Romney, by the words of his statement said these people have no sense of personal responsibility. I hope all the elderly retired people who no longer pay an income tax vote for Obama. If they do it's over for Romney.

Old 09-18-2012, 08:55 AM   #4
Vis
In Hoc
Supporter

Here's Why Mitt's 100% Wrong on the 47%
by David Frum

Mitt Romney has just committed the worst presidential-candidate gaffe since Gerald Ford announced in 1976 that "there is no Soviet domination of Eastern Europe.

Irreparable? To Romney's image, yes; to his election chances ... we'll see. But you know who's determined that Romney never recover? His deluded supporters in the conservative media world.

Here's National Review news editor Daniel Foster. After conceding that Romney's remarks about the 47% were maladroit, Foster wrote:

In other words, the more fully Romney owns these comments the less the press can report them as a “gaffe.” Romney is now in a position that he has to bring the fight to Obama on the entitlement state.

Likewise, former National Review editor John O'Sullivan:

If Romney responds to the Mother Jones story by backing off from his basic argument that far too many Americans are dependent upon the government and that this dependency skews their votes, he will weaken his campaign enormously.

My Twitter feed has a lot more in this vein, and expect it to become the definitive conservative point of view after Rush Limbaugh weighs in at noon.

Romney was expressing views that are widely held among a certain group of conservatives, and they are determined to make it as awkward as possible for him to retreat from those views.

You might wonder: why?

As David Brooks asked this morning:

Who are these freeloaders? Is it the Iraq war veteran who goes to the V.A.? Is it the student getting a loan to go to college? Is it the retiree on Social Security or Medicare?

More than one-fifth of Romney's moocher 47% are elderly: people who pay no income taxes because their income takes the form of Social Security - many of those people are Republican voters (even if they don't understand "dependency" to apply to them).

Among today's elderly, the great majority will receive more in Medicare benefits than they ever paid in taxes - dependency again. You can do the math for yourself and your parents right here:

(Those who retired prior to 1967 received full Medicare benefits without ever paying into Medicare at all.)

And as Ezra Klein pointed out yesterday, more than 60% of the 47% pay payroll taxes. At 15.3%, the payroll tax rate represents a higher rate of tax than that paid by Mitt Romney himself.

Only about one-fifth of taxpayers are non-elderly people who pay no tax at all, and they are paying no tax mostly because they are unemployed in the worst economic crisis since the 1930s, a crisis that candidate Romney blames on the president and promises to correct. It seems a hard saying to call these promised beneficiaries of a Romney recovery people who don't take responsibility for their lives.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/article...on-the-47.html

Old 09-18-2012, 10:00 AM   #5
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 5,118 Times in 2,393 Posts

Epic fail - leaving aside the question of what sort of Presidential candidate thinks it is a good idea to trash 47% of the electorate, the idea that working poor people and an 80 year old living off Social Security are those who “believe that they are victims, who believe the government has a responsibility to care for them.” is epic bullsh**

When David Brooks goes after the GOP nominee like he does today he is in big trouble

Thurston Howell Romney

Sure, there are some government programs that cultivate patterns of dependency in some people. I’d put federal disability payments and unemployment insurance in this category. But, as a description of America today, Romney’s comment is a country-club fantasy. It’s what self-satisfied millionaires say to each other. It reinforces every negative view people have about Romney.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/18/op...ml?ref=opinion

Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 10:06 AM   #6
Vis
In Hoc
Supporter

From a political standpoint this kills Romney because any message he was planning for the week is gone. This tape will be the topic. Next up, the GOP platform supports a 2-state solution with an sovereign Palestine. Romney Tape trashes that.

Old 09-18-2012, 10:10 AM   #7
Vis
In Hoc
Supporter

SECRET VIDEO: On Israel, Romney Trashes Two-State Solution

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/...dle-east-peace

"And I look at the Palestinians not wanting to see peace anyway, for political purposes, committed to the destruction and elimination of Israel, and I say there's just no way."

In the debates will he support the GOP platform on Israel and Palestine or reject it? Why doesn't the platform reflect his views? Is Romney the puppet of the GOP or it's leader?

Old 09-18-2012, 10:14 AM   #8
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 5,118 Times in 2,393 Posts

Being part of the one percent does have its advantages

The reported host of a private $50,000-a-plate fundraiser that has come to haunt Mitt Romney this week is a prominent Florida private equity manager who has attracted media attention for partying with the rich and famous.

Marc J. Leder, the co-founder of Sun Capital Partners of Boca Raton, Fla., was named by Mother Jones journalist David Corn Monday night as the host of a Romney fundraiser May 17 that was secretly videotaped by an unidentified attendee. Romney has come under fire for remarks at the event in which he dismissed the “47 percent” of Americans who support Obama as “victims” who are “dependent on government” and “who believe they are entitled to health care, to food, to housing, you name it.”

Leder, who has given nearly $300,000 to Romney and other Republicans this cycle, used part of his fortune to become a co-owner of the Philadelphia 76ers basketball team and has become a fixture of New York tabloid reports, hobnobbing with rap mogul Russell Simmons and other celebrities. The New York Post dubbed him a “private equity party boy.”

In August 2011, the same tabloid reported on a Hamptons bacchanal at a $500,000-a-night oceanfront mansion rented by Leder, “where guests cavorted nude in the pool and performed sex acts, scantily dressed Russians danced on platforms and men twirled lit torches to a booming techno beat.”

Leder, described in press reports as a divorced father of three, later dismissed such reports as exaggerated in an interview with the New York Times. “I think the portrayal of me as having wild and crazy parties is absolutely incorrect,” he said in January. “I spend a small percentage throwing some parties, attending some parties. I like music. I like to dance. But rather than reporting on how I spend 340 days and nights of my year, the media likes to report on the other 25.”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...s=rss_politics

Sources say Leder, said to be worth $400 million, has been on a partying jag since his wife of 22 years, Lisa, cheated on him with a 23-year-old tennis instructor in 2009.

http://www.nypost.com/p/pagesix/part...5TrmiVmoXP5ohP

The other TWENTY-FIVE? It is good to be Marc Leder
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 11:28 AM   #9
harrison'samonster
Living Legend

Member Number: 17630
Thanked 7,127 Times in 3,043 Posts

Atlanta Dan, that cartoon is fantastic! I absolutely love it.

Even as an Obama supporter, I'd have to believe this will have little affect on the election outcome. I think this election is going to turn more on fear than any that I can remember.
harrison'samonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 05:02 PM   #10
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 4,597 Times in 1,972 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrison'samonster View Post
Atlanta Dan, that cartoon is fantastic! I absolutely love it.

Even as an Obama supporter, I'd have to believe this will have little affect on the election outcome. I think this election is going to turn more on fear than any that I can remember.
It won't, the sad thing about American voters, is they won't even vote for what's in their best interest. A lot of those elderly voters are pro-republican who will vote for 'their team' even if it's shooting themselves in the foot.

People seem to just back their party no matter what, there are very few true independent voters anymore.
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote