Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Bucs

Old 09-20-2012, 07:39 AM   #1
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 7,964 Times in 3,515 Posts
Default Ben Comments On No Huddle & Scab Refs

Some interesting comments from Ben, including his explanation as to why the plays are not getting off on time

Through two games, the Steelers have gone from the no-huddle to the no no-huddle. They ran it often in Denver, not at all in Heinz Field.

It worked in Denver, worked well, and it’s supposed to be more difficult on the road because it is more difficult to hear check-offs and the snap counts. Home is made for the no-huddle.

Count Ben Roethlisberger as mystified as any as to why offensive coordinator Todd Haley did not use it more often Sunday against the Jets.

“That’s Coach Haley’s call. He’s the one that calls all of the plays. There was no no-huddle. Our no-huddle is usually when we have three wide receivers on the field. They saw something and wanted to run the ball with multiple tight ends and keep you guys and the fans happy I guess.”

Roethlisberger said the issue came up just once, and it was Mike Tomlin who mentioned it.

“Right before halftime, Coach Tomlin came to me and asked what I thought about it. I was all for it but we never really got to it. We got the win. That’s all that matters.”

Roethlisberger thinks the scab refs – he did not mention them as such – are starting the play clock too quickly.

“We also need to figure out why it feels like the play clock is getting started a lot faster than it ever has in the past. I don’t feel like all the time that the plays are late getting in. There are times that we’re trying to communicate and that’s just a natural occurrence. “I don’t care how you’re doing it, there are times that you have to take a timeout because the play clock is running down. We just have to make sure we keep working on communication and getting plays and personnel in because we are changing guys in and out a lot. That’s kind of on everybody to keep working at.”

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/i...ck-too-quickly

Ben just can't help himself when it comes to taking a jab at those who want to emphasize the running game
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 07:53 AM   #2
Darkstorm05
Team Captain

Member Number: 19897
Default Re: Ben Comments On No Huddle & Scab Refs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
Ben just can't help himself when it comes to taking a jab at those who want to emphasize the running game

Yea, he sounds a little cranky there. To be fair, once we got going Sunday we didn't really need to go no huddle. Why mess with a good thing?
Darkstorm05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 08:00 AM   #3
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 4,145 Times in 1,987 Posts
My Mood: Fine

on paper, it seems a little cranky - didn't watch any video regarding it

can someone just convince Ben to say - "All I care about is winning - no matter what that means. I have faith that they are putting us in the best position to win. As players, we have to execute." Repeat, repeat, repeat . . .

Ben really does have an odd way of saying things that causes confusion as to his attitude

Look into my eyes
SF Haters
steelfury02 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 08:12 AM   #4
beer72
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 3508

Although we really didn't need to go to the no huddle on Sunday I always enjoy watching Big Ben run it. Seems we move the ball more effectively.
beer72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 08:16 AM   #5
Curtain_of_Steel
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 11678
My Mood: Amazed

Ben said it was about winning.
"“Right before halftime, Coach Tomlin came to me and asked what I thought about it. I was all for it but we never really got to it. We got the win. That’s all that matters.”'''''

I dont really think he cares if your confused about what he is saying. The running game sucks, the refs are starting the play clock to soon, and the plays are getting called in late. Lastly, yes we didnt run the no huddle. I thought Ben was pretty clear.

Basically go ask Haley why, not me(ben)
Curtain_of_Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 08:27 AM   #6
GoFor7
Banned

Member Number: 24211

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelfury02 View Post
on paper, it seems a little cranky - didn't watch any video regarding it

can someone just convince Ben to say - "All I care about is winning - no matter what that means. I have faith that they are putting us in the best position to win. As players, we have to execute." Repeat, repeat, repeat . . .

Ben really does have an odd way of saying things that causes confusion as to his attitude
Perhaps he's tired of bailing the offense out on 3rd & long.

Think of it this way, the more he does on first downs, the less he has to do on second and third downs.
GoFor7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 08:48 AM   #7
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 4,145 Times in 1,987 Posts
My Mood: Fine

i'm sure he doesn't - and I don't care if he cares, just sayin - he talks out of both ends IMO

Look into my eyes
SF Haters
steelfury02 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 08:57 AM   #8
Darkstorm05
Team Captain

Member Number: 19897

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtain_of_Steel View Post
Ben said it was about winning.
"“Right before halftime, Coach Tomlin came to me and asked what I thought about it. I was all for it but we never really got to it. We got the win. That’s all that matters.”'''''

I dont really think he cares if your confused about what he is saying. The running game sucks, the refs are starting the play clock to soon, and the plays are getting called in late. Lastly, yes we didnt run the no huddle. I thought Ben was pretty clear.

Basically go ask Haley why, not me(ben)
No confusion on what he said, but over the tone and his disposition towards it. He sounds mad. Was he laughing in the delivery? If so, very different take. And the play clock ticking down has been an issue for us for years.
Darkstorm05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 09:00 AM   #9
GoFor7
Banned

Member Number: 24211

Here's the video:

http://www.steelers.com/video-and-au...6-f7fa3a495c30
GoFor7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 09:09 AM   #10
Steelerfreak58
Team Captain

Member Number: 8080

Ben takes a really long time to get the ball snapped. He is constantly taking the time down to 1 second left. If it were the "refs" I would buy that but he has done it for years.