Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 09-20-2012, 09:26 AM   #11
madtowndrunkard
Team Captain

Member Number: 11280
Default Re: Ben Comments On No Huddle & Scab Refs

Ben is a bi***. He's been questioning Haley since they announced his hire. We will not make the playoffs if Ben doesn't get on board with the offense and Haley.

Ben doesn't understand that by running the ball he's not getting killed....if we pass 75% of the game he will likely get injured. Also by running the ball, your chances for turnovers is reduced greatly. If Haley's goal is to reduce turnovers and hits to Ben then he's succeeding. It also helps our defense by keeping them off the field longer.

Sure the running game is struggling...but that's no different then what we've had the past few years. Our O-line is horrible...that's on the FO and Mike Tomlin. They've made no effort to improve the talent - up until this season.... and one draft pick is injured and the other sucks. Ben is quick to point the finger...and say it's not his problem...maybe it's schematic? That's another shot at Haley....then he laughs at us running on 1st and 2nd down..... and says there's nothing he can do. Maybe that's true but that's not what a good leader says. Ben is a self centered child. He's a damn good QB but he's an idiot.
madtowndrunkard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 09:29 AM   #12
madtowndrunkard
Team Captain

Member Number: 11280

I gotta think the FO is trying to find a RB via trade.... Our RB's are not talented enough to deal with a really bad O-line.
madtowndrunkard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 09:42 AM   #13
steeltheone
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 6351

[QUOTE=madtowndrunkard;1030831]I gotta think the FO is trying to find a RB via trade.... Our RB's are not talented enough to deal with a really bad O-

Anybody looking at our roster of backs should have known, there was not much talent after Mendenhall...A bad line makes it all the more obvious. I can't see the Steelers making any moves for a back via trade.
Old 09-20-2012, 09:48 AM   #14
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 5,835 Times in 2,697 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by madtowndrunkard View Post
Our O-line is horrible...that's on the FO and Mike Tomlin. They've made no effort to improve the talent - up until this season.... and one draft pick is injured and the other sucks.
Hard to blame the front office for DeCastro getting hurt. As far as Adams goes, the consensus last spring was that he was available in the second round because of the positive drug test at the combine and was a good pick.

Add to that the Steelers drafting Pouncey in the first round in 2010 and committing to Gilbert early in the 2011 draft and I think it is fair to say the Steelers have been trying to upgrade the o-line for several years
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 09:56 AM   #15
FanSince72
Team President

Member Number: 17502
Thanked 1,055 Times in 473 Posts

“That’s Coach Haley’s call. He’s the one that calls all of the plays..."

Sounds to me like Ben had some better ideas but isn't allowed to overstep Haley.
I'd like to see Ben call more of a game himself and his comment suggests that he'd like to as well. Right now it may not mean much and I hope it doesn't evolve into any sort of feud as the season moves on.

Ben's been doing "his thing" for a long time and creds or not, Haley is the new kid in town and I hope he recognizes that, otherwise we could be headed for a battle of the ego's.
I'm not suggesting that either Ben or Haley call ALL the plays but rather that they meet somewhere in the middle and respect each others abilities.

Don't forget; Haley's title is "Coordinator" not "Dictator".
FanSince72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 10:00 AM   #16
Steelers>NFL
Team Captain
Supporter

Member Number: 15311

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelerfreak58 View Post
Ben takes a really long time to get the ball snapped. He is constantly taking the time down to 1 second left. If it were the "refs" I would buy that but he has done it for years.
You are 100% correct here. Another reason why defenses can tee off on Ben.
Because they KNOW the ball will NOT snap unitl clock reached 01 0r 02 seconds.
This drives me insane. So predicable.
Steelers>NFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 10:05 AM   #17
LVSteelersfan
Living Legend

Member Number: 6620
My Mood: Hot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
Hard to blame the front office for DeCastro getting hurt. As far as Adams goes, the consensus last spring was that he was available in the second round because of the positive drug test at the combine and was a good pick.

Add to that the Steelers drafting Pouncey in the first round in 2010 and committing to Gilbert early in the 2011 draft and I think it is fair to say the Steelers have been trying to upgrade the o-line for several years
AMEN. Anyone who says the FO hasn't addressed the O-line is obviously out of touch with reality. 4/5 of the line has been addressed and Colon was moved to guard. Sounds like they have definitely addressed the Oline. Adams may not be used to the speed of the game yet, but to start calling him a bust after two games is ludicrous. Rookies don't usually start on the O-line for the Steelers. The injury to DeCastro certainly wasn't projected.

COACH - Breakfast of Champions !!!
LVSteelersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 10:10 AM   #18
Bayz101
Renegade
Supporter

Member Number: 18856
Thanked 3,517 Times in 1,584 Posts
My Mood: Happy

Ben's absolutely right about everything that he said in that video. Am I missing something?

"Either you're playing dumb, or it's not an act". -Judge Judy

No need to drive me crazy. I can walk from here.
Bayz101 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 10:19 AM   #19
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 3,478 Times in 1,652 Posts
My Mood: Fine

after watching the video, I'd say

A. It seems like Ben would go no-huddle the majority of the time if it were up to him. While I can agree they seem to be heading in the right direction with it - I think using it often as it seems he would like to use it would not lead to the offense being unpredictable. I view the direction of the offense as being all about switching it up, depending on the opponent. All speculation, but, maybe Haley and Tomlin thought the key to beating the Jets was to get physical, even if they weren't going to get a lot of yards out of it at first. Things seemed to open up a bit in the run game at the end - combine with the willingness to stick to it and playing excellent possession football - I'd argue that this supposed philosophy worked. As previously mentioned, maybe the goal is to protect Ben, and against a historically physical Jets, they purposefully didn't go to the no-huddle so they couldn't just tee off knowing the pass was coming (yea, they were put in obvious third down passing a lot, and I agree passing on 1st and 2nd might help this). Our defense didn't have that great of a start - ever think going no huddle would have brought them back out on the field too quickly? I know it is a scoring league,

B. Ben still has a lot to learn about interviewee 101. He still comes across smug and boorish and unless he goes total Tom Brady with blank, robotic answers, his history won't help him. This will just be a continual thing with Ben. I will say, I just think in general, Ben wants total control like any great QB does. He did say winning is all that matters so kudos to that.

Insanity or In-sahn-naha-teh
is what the the Iro-quois used
meaning "severe personnel problems".
Look it up. No? No, I'm right.
Agree to disagree.
steelfury02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 10:21 AM   #20
GoFor7
Banned

Member Number: 24211

Quote:
Originally Posted by madtowndrunkard View Post
Ben is a bi***. He's been questioning Haley since they announced his hire. We will not make the playoffs if Ben doesn't get on board with the offense and Haley.

Ben doesn't understand that by running the ball he's not getting killed....if we pass 75% of the game he will likely get injured. Also by running the ball, your chances for turnovers is reduced greatly. If Haley's goal is to reduce turnovers and hits to Ben then he's succeeding. It also helps our defense by keeping them off the field longer.

Sure the running game is struggling...but that's no different then what we've had the past few years. Our O-line is horrible...that's on the FO and Mike Tomlin. They've made no effort to improve the talent - up until this season.... and one draft pick is injured and the other sucks. Ben is quick to point the finger...and say it's not his problem...maybe it's schematic? That's another shot at Haley....then he laughs at us running on 1st and 2nd down..... and says there's nothing he can do. Maybe that's true but that's not what a good leader says. Ben is a self centered child. He's a damn good QB but he's an idiot.
Wow, another ding dong claiming Ben is a baby or an egomaniac.

So is run, run, pass really helping out Ben? Lets see here, what are the Steelers averaging in their running game? And who's been bailing them out in 3rd & long 20 out of 26 times?

As I've said before, perhaps letting Ben do more on first down means he has to do less on second and third down, especially with a struggling running game.

Also, who is more self-centered: A QB who wants to pass to his talented WRs and TE, or an owner who is enamored with 70's smashmouth even though the pedigree at RB is lacking?
GoFor7 is offline   Reply With Quote