Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 08-02-2006, 06:30 AM   #1
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009
Default Colon Looking Good in Camp

Colon proving his mettle
By Joe Starkey
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Wednesday, August 2, 2006

No newcomer at Steelers camp has made a bigger impression than rookie offensive tackle Willie Colon.
"He's a hound," linebacker Clark Haggans said, "and it looks like he likes to hunt."

Haggans should know, because the two squared off in what became a bitter blocking drill during the afternoon session Wednesday at St. Vincent College in Latrobe.

On one snap, the 6-foot-3, 315-pound Colon stopped an on-rushing Haggans in his tracks, prompting Haggans to rip Colon's helmet right off his head. The two began jawing.

The situation seemed certain to escalate -- these two had locked horns before -- until defensive line coach John Mitchell removed Haggans from the drill.

That didn't stop the trash talk. Colon blew Haggans a kiss and said, "All day."

Later, Colon said he wasn't about to back down.

"I refuse to be run over and punked, if you will, by anybody," said Colon, a fourth-round pick out of Division I-AA Hofstra. "If it's from Haggans or anybody, I won't allow it. The day you let that happen, then it's the snowball effect, and everybody wants a piece. I refuse to be the weakest link in anything.

"If it's Aaron (Smith), Clark, Joey (Porter), I have to make a stand and show them I'm worth a damn."

Weak isn't a word widely associated with Colon, who, according to several observers, has displayed a pit-bull mentality and some surprisingly quick feet during the opening days of camp.

As he told one reporter, "I hit them before they hit me. It worked in the streets (in a housing project in the Bronx), and it'll work here."

Coach Bill Cowher, though he didn't witness the skirmish, has taken notice of Colon.

"Willie's a tough kid, very proud, a very good competitor," Cowher said.

Cowher seemed pleased to hear of the battle with Haggans, saying, "That's what happens in the heat."

Haggans didn't mind, either.

"That was good stuff," he said. "It's nothing personal. Everybody out here is trying to compete and get better. You're not going to be happy-go-lucky out here in this heat with these pads on and sweating the way we do."

Colon still is getting used to his surroundings. He can scarcely believe he's getting a chance to win a roster spot with the defending Super Bowl champions, a franchise with a tradition of rugged and stellar offensive line play.

"Come on," he said. "This is the Pittsburgh Steelers, the best of the best. They produce Hall of Famers. They pride themselves on being tough, running the ball. I want to fit the mold, that's the bottom line. ... Every time I walk out that door, I'm like a mouse showing his head out of the hole. Every time I hear them calling 'Willie,' I look around for (running back) Willie Parker or (rookie receiver) Willie Reid.

"It's cool; I'm having fun."

Once things had cooled down on the field, Haggans walked past Colon, on the way to joining the first-team defense for a different drill, and said, "You still mad at me?"

"No," Colon said. "I love you."

"I love you, too," said Haggans, who turned to starting tackle Max Starks and said, "Max, tell him I love him."
Old 08-02-2006, 06:41 AM   #2
MattsMe
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 2044
Default Re: Colon Looking Good in Camp

Looks like the kid is getting off to a great start.
MattsMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 06:42 AM   #3
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Once things had cooled down on the field, Haggans walked past Colon, on the way to joining the first-team defense for a different drill, and said, "You still mad at me?"

"No," Colon said. "I love you."

"I love you, too," said Haggans, who turned to starting tackle Max Starks and said, "Max, tell him I love him."

Nice to see the kid also has a sense of humor..lol.

Last edited by 83-Steelers-43; 08-02-2006 at 06:50 AM.
83-Steelers-43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 07:36 AM   #4
Buzz05
Team Captain

Member Number: 2482

Thats great that the kid isnt showing any fear out there against our linebackers. Most people would. How nice would it be to see Willie knock Ray Lewis on his a$$...
Buzz05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 07:47 AM   #5
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz05
How nice would it be to see Willie knock Ray Lewis on his a$$...
While I don't think you will see that this season, I think Colon will be a huge part of the line in years to come. Leave it up to Cowher and Co. to mold him, solidify him and plug him in the lineup in the future. I think he's going to very fun to watch for years to come.
Old 08-02-2006, 08:07 AM   #6
BlackNGold203
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 1217

No newcomer at Steelers camp has made a bigger impression than rookie offensive tackle Willie Colon.
"He's a hound," linebacker Clark Haggans said, "and it looks like he likes to hunt."

To gain immediate respect from a veteran like Clark is huge....good stuff
Old 08-02-2006, 08:48 AM   #7
rowedf
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 367

Man, thats exactly what you want from a lineman, if Tunch and Wolf read this, they'll be going nuts over this guy :)
Old 08-02-2006, 09:25 AM   #8
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,124 Times in 2,631 Posts

kirwan and ryan are broadcasting from latrobe this morning. they said after haggans got stuffed, instead of taking a little break with the rest of the lb's he was on the side with his position coach doing extra work to figure out why he was getting stuffed. they commented on it being a classic case of a rookie helping a veteran get better and vice versa.
tony hipchest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 09:26 AM   #9
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

"I refuse to be run over and punked, if you will, by anybody," said Colon, a fourth-round pick out of Division I-AA Hofstra. "If it's from Haggans or anybody, I won't allow it. The day you let that happen, then it's the snowball effect, and everybody wants a piece. I refuse to be the weakest link in anything.

What a great attitude! This young man is definitely well on his way to becoming yet another brute force on that line in the future. It's great to see our young guys not just talkin' the talk, but walkin' the walk.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 09:31 AM   #10
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363

I went out on a limb earlier and said that I thought this kid was going to be special...good to see that he is living up to his potential. Thats what I love about out talent evaluaters...they see potential in the players out of smaller schools...I have draft magazines that dont even mention Colon at all!! (too many so called draft experts have the John Madden mentality of picking who they think are the best players based on how their teams do and who playes in the big bowl games)
Kudos to the Steelers for not buying into big school hype and just looking for work ethic and talent!!
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote