Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 08-02-2006, 10:56 AM   #1
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009
Default Chargers cut Woods

Chargers cut loose 2003 first-round WR Woods
Associated Press

SAN DIEGO -- The Chargers cut former Oklahoma State wide receiver Rashaun Woods, giving general manager A.J. Smith nothing to show for his initial first-round pick.

Woods, who was released Tuesday, was acquired from the 49ers in the offseason for disappointing cornerback Sammy Davis.

During the 2003 draft, his first as GM, Smith passed on future Pro Bowl safety Troy Polamalu and traded down with Philadelphia, getting Davis with the 30th overall pick and safety Terrence Kiel in the second round.

Davis was dreadful and was shipped to the 49ers for the equally woeful Woods. At least
Davis remains in the NFL, and Kiel is battling for a starting position with the Chargers.

"I felt like it was good for us, and I'm sure they thought it was good for them," 49ers coach Mike Nolan said. "But ours is still holding up."

Smith wasn't available for comment.

Chargers coach Marty Schottenheimer said it was obvious Woods, who was nursing a sore hamstring, wouldn't make the cut.

"Some of the young guys have really made progress and I've always had a policy if you have a veteran player and you know he is not going to make your football team, in all fairness to that individual you need to make the decision sooner than later," Schottenheimer said.

"So we looked at the numbers and the roster and all and we just felt like it wasn't going to work out."

The Chargers claimed wide receiver Gerran Walker off waivers from the Indianapolis Colts.

Also Tuesday, outside linebacker Shawne Merriman sat out a portion of practice with a strained hamstring and inside linebacker Donnie Edwards missed another session with a balky back.
Old 08-02-2006, 01:30 PM   #2
Haiku_Dirtt
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 1645
Default Re: Chargers cut Woods

Either he didn't bother watching the tapes or he wasn't sold on Pete Carroll's system. It was right there for everyone to see - the afterburners. And A.J. Smith was right there in So. Cal.

How the Western PA guys -Colbert and Cohwer - not only took the time to see it but also the aggressive move to seal that fate is one of the true great mysteries for the Steelers this decade. I almost collapsed when Troy's name was announced.
Haiku_Dirtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 03:19 PM   #3
boLT fan
Team Captain

Member Number: 901

The 2003 draft wasn't really the first one Smith completely controlled. He was thrust into the GM spot from the passing of our last GM just a few weeks prior to the draft. Which is probably why 2003 was one of our worst drafts in recent memory.

As for Woods, i'm kind of dissapointed I wanted to see what the kid could do with an actual QB to throw to him. But it's not a huge loss, at least we got rid of that shitstain Davis.
boLT fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 05:07 PM   #4
Haiku_Dirtt
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 1645

Quote:
Originally Posted by boLT fan
The 2003 draft wasn't really the first one Smith completely controlled. He was thrust into the GM spot from the passing of our last GM just a few weeks prior to the draft. Which is probably why 2003 was one of our worst drafts in recent memory.

As for Woods, i'm kind of dissapointed I wanted to see what the kid could do with an actual QB to throw to him. But it's not a huge loss, at least we got rid of that shitstain Davis.
Forgot about that. That was a setback to be sure.

I don't know why but I've never been big on receivers in the first round. Partly because of recent Steeler history but mostly because it seems later round guys can step it up. For whatever reason - poor high school academics, late bloomers, family problems - really good talent can get shuffled to lower profile schools. Or you have conversion projects too. I'd prefer to get the aces who play in the trenches or on defense and go bargain shopping for the speedsters.

Woods seemed a little undersized for the first round.
Haiku_Dirtt is offline   Reply With Quote