Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 09-18-2012, 01:38 PM   #1
RuHappy69
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 19796
Default Time to stick a fork in Polamalu and Harrison

oft injured and on the bad side of 30 with big contracts. Stupid that they have never addressed safety in the recent drafts and what we have as backups are two undrafted FA's in Mundy and Golden...
RuHappy69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 01:46 PM   #2
Bayz101
Renegade
Supporter

Member Number: 18856
Thanked 5,051 Times in 2,140 Posts
My Mood: Lurking
Default Re: Time to stick a fork in Polamalu and Harrison

No.

"Either you're playing dumb, or it's not an act". -Judge Judy

No need to drive me crazy. I can walk from here.
Bayz101 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 01:52 PM   #3
Millers the sh!t
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 22201
My Mood: Cheeky

It's definitely time to start thinking about replacements but I don't see troy gone for a few seasons.. Harrison maybe a different story. If he doesn't have a great season this year and is injured again. I can see parting with him.
Old 09-18-2012, 01:57 PM   #4
Bayz101
Renegade
Supporter

Member Number: 18856
Thanked 5,051 Times in 2,140 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

It's not stupid that we didn't address a safety. We locked up two Offensive lineman, and before you even point to DeCastro's injury, it's Marcus Gilbert's fault he's on the IR in the first place. That goes for David Johnson as well.

We made the right draft picks this year all around. Safety wasn't a worry then, and it's not a worry now. We drafted Mundy in '08, and i'm sure we'll pick up a Safety at some point in the '13 draft.

This isn't Troy's last year by ANY means. He's still making an impact defensively. Hell, he caused Manning to take a timeout and nearly shit himself before the ball even snapped. He's still in the QB's head. He's still a threat.

"Either you're playing dumb, or it's not an act". -Judge Judy

No need to drive me crazy. I can walk from here.
Bayz101 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 02:00 PM   #5
steeltheone
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 6351

Well, problem is, Tomlin has not developed one good DB since he took over.... I think you are selling TP short, he will be a very big part of our defense.... Harrison is on his last year of his contract, he will probably be gone.
Old 09-18-2012, 02:38 PM   #6
truesteelerfan
Team Captain

Member Number: 11218
My Mood: Yeehaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeltheone View Post
Well, problem is, Tomlin has not developed one good DB since he took over.... I think you are selling TP short, he will be a very big part of our defense.... Harrison is on his last year of his contract, he will probably be gone.
I think Harrison is signed thru 2014 isn't he?
truesteelerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 02:43 PM   #7
Dalarin
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 23936

You should be a writer for ESPN man... That Overreaction Monday portion could use some help.
Dalarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 02:49 PM   #8
TRH
Living Legend

Member Number: 17206

Harrison : everyone has to be wondering if he'll EVER be back again. And if he can come back, he's likely to be much less the player of his former self. Hell, we seen that last year. Its certainly unfortunate, as i love James, but his days as an impactful player could very well be over.

Polamalu : I think he'll be a part for awhile, although i don't think we're going to see "all-pro" caliber play or those unbelievable, highlight-reel plays anymore. Plus he gets burned often. As state above in the thread...he can still get into a QB's head, so thats a plus.

You'll see us start addressing these positions in next years draft (and i'm talking about #1's and # 2's....). Remember, if DeCastro wouldn't have dropped so far down, we would have almost certainly picked D'ante Hightower, the LB, with our 1st pick (who is already becoming a monster over in NE....i wouuld have like to have got him here).
TRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 02:53 PM   #9
Rockonsteel
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 15574

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayz101 View Post
It's not stupid that we didn't address a safety. We locked up two Offensive lineman, and before you even point to DeCastro's injury, it's Marcus Gilbert's fault he's on the IR in the first place. That goes for David Johnson as well.

We made the right draft picks this year all around. Safety wasn't a worry then, and it's not a worry now. We drafted Mundy in '08, and i'm sure we'll pick up a Safety at some point in the '13 draft.

This isn't Troy's last year by ANY means. He's still making an impact defensively. Hell, he caused Manning to take a timeout and nearly shit himself before the ball even snapped. He's still in the QB's head. He's still a threat.
I tend to agree they have negelected the S position behind Troy (injury prone) and Ryan Clark (love him, but not true FS, how many ints for his career? 12? For a career for a FS?). I know his value goes way beyond that. Just sayin', would be nice to have FS that can get to few balls now and again.

They have nobody, including Ryan Clark, that can make a play on the ball, who's name is not Troy. Golden showed some glimpses of that in the preseason, but who knows how that works out, right now he's practice squad material. Can't bank on it. We have no quality depth behind Troy and Clark. And NO ballhawks to speak of,

Even Troy, he's a playmaker, but not exactly a ballhawk. Ryan Mundy is a BUM! I will grant that he is a better backup SS, than FS, but he's not really very good at either spot. Unspectacular at best. Golden is the only safety on the roster that even remotely shows he has the kind of range you would like FS to have.

We need to get some young talent groomed at both S positions, and I mean somebody other than "just another warm body" Ryan Mundy.

Rockon
Rockonsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 02:58 PM   #10
steeltheone
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 6351

Quote:
Originally Posted by truesteelerfan View Post
I think Harrison is signed thru 2014 isn't he?
Looks like you are correct... I don't know why I was thinking this year was it....Good thing, we have no replacement!!!