Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 09-24-2012, 05:28 PM   #51
FrancoLambert
Team President

Member Number: 20827
Thanked 1,923 Times in 990 Posts
My Mood: Blah
Default Re: Who do you blame for this loss?

1. Defense
2. Defensive coaches
FrancoLambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 03:41 AM   #52
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 13,846 Times in 5,695 Posts
My Mood: Happy

Brett Keisel Takes Blame For Steelers Loss To Raiders

Monday, September 24th, 2012 by Dave Bryan

Pittsburgh Steelers defensive end Brett Keisel took the Sunday loss to the Oakland Raiders pretty hard, and after the game he wanted all of the blame placed on his shoulders.

"The offense played great," said the Steelers defensive captain. "Like i said before, you can blame this loss on me and we'll go back to the drawing board."

When asked why he was taking the blame for the loss specifically, the defensive end said, "Because I messed up some things that resulted in touchdowns. That's why."

The two big plays that come to mind are the 64-yard touchdown run by Raiders running back Darren McFadden, which I have broken down here. The other play that comes to mind was Keisel being flagged for encroachment on the 4th down and goal play for the Raiders, where Keisel saw multiple Raiders players in motion and stepped over the line of scrimmage to point it out.

You have to tip your cap to Keisel for taking the full brunt of the loss, but make no mistake that the rest of the Steelers defense shares quite a bit of the blame. This is what good team leaders do and Keisel, along with the rest of the defense, will get a chance to redeem themselves at home in week 5 when they host the Philadelphia Eagles.

http://network.yardbarker.com/all_sp...iders/11799160
Old 09-25-2012, 09:26 AM   #53
Fire Haley
Banned

Member Number: 763
Thanked 1,098 Times in 768 Posts

I know one thing. I would trade our whole defense for Seattles today, lock stock and china doll barrel.

A DL that can all rush the passer, no need to blitz LB's, a tall physical secondary that dominates and they are all young.

Our defense would have given up 50 pts last night and Seattle gave up ONE.... yeah - make that call

Seattle's defense and our offense would be unstoppable.

I can dream - right?
Fire Haley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 09:33 AM   #54
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 4,769 Times in 2,249 Posts
My Mood: Fine

Seattle's, Arizona's or Texans.

I'VE GOT SOME YOUTHFUL ADJUSTMENTS FOR 'DAT AZZ
steelfury02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 09:40 AM   #55
Fire Haley
Banned

Member Number: 763
Thanked 1,098 Times in 768 Posts

to the original question...I blame the union

The NFL Referees Association who moonlight as supervisors of officiating at major college conferences made clear that anyone who accepts a short-term assignment as a replacement official with the NFL will lose his regular college gig. And so the NFLRA has contributed to the low quality of the officiating that we are now experiencing by pressuring the second-best officials into not working for the NFL, as they did during the 2001 lockout.
Fire Haley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 08:35 PM   #56
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 13,846 Times in 5,695 Posts
My Mood: Happy

Steelers: Woodley, Timmons Must Step Up

Lawrence Timmons and LaMarr Woodley were given big money deals with the intent that they would become big time playmakers at the linebacker position. In the absence of James Harrison and Troy Polamalu the Steelers have needed someone to step up and the hope was it would be Woodley and Timmons, but it hasn’t happened. When the Steelers gave these two linebackers their big money deals they were hoping for consistent repeat performances of their 2009 and 2010 seasons, but 2011 was a down year for both players and neither has been very impressive so far in 2012.

Against the Raiders LaMarr Woodley was up against a right tackle that had only been on Oakland’s roster for a few weeks, but he was held in check for most of the game recording 4 tackles and a sack. Although Woodley recorded the one sack he struggled to get much pressure on Carson Palmer all day. With James Harrison’s injury issues the past two seasons we have seen Woodley play a lot as the premier pass rushing threat and he has struggled. Palmer was not pressured much at all on Sunday and it is Woodley’s job to push that pocket. Another reason for Woodley’s slow start could be the play calling. He is being asked to do a lot of things on defense and is not rushing the quarterback as much as in recent years. It will be interesting to see how the defense, and Woodley, plays when Harrison and Troy Polamalu return.

Timmons also sturggled in 2011 when you look at his stat sheet. However, I will still give him a pass for his play in 2011 as he was moving around to multiple positions which is hard on any player. Timmons in 2012, however, is expected to remain at inside linebacker for the entire season. The Steelers need him to step up in that position and make plays.

On Sunday the Raiders scored on five straight possessions against the Steelers defense. That is completely unacceptable and everyone on that defensive unit knows it. Woodley and Timmons need to step up now and be the guys who make plays on those series by creating a turnover or making a big play on third down to get the defense off the field; especially in the absence of two former Defensive Players of the Year in Harrison and Polamalu.

The biggest difference for Timmons and Woodley in comparison to their two best seasons in 2009 and 2010 is the turnovers, In 2009 and 2010 they created 14 turnover opportunities for the defense with interceptions and forced fumbles. Including 2008 they had averaged about 6.5 turnover opportunities a season, however, in 2011 they created only 3. So far in 2012, through the first three games, they have created none.

Polamalu and Harrison should be back soon and should help the defense get better, but there are some concerns for the future. I’m not the only person who expects Casey Hampton and James Harrison to leave after this season and Polamalu and Ryan Clark likely have around 2-3 years left a piece which leaves a big question: Are Timmons and Woodley ready to take over as the leaders and play-makers of the defense when they are gone? And if not who will?

http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/ar...ep_up/11798266