Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Bucs

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 28, 1:00 PM
FOX

Old 09-23-2012, 11:31 PM   #1
BowCatShot
Banned

Member Number: 24236
Default Did you notice all of the close games?

Ladies and gentllemen welcome to choreographed football, where the most important thing is to keep the games close in order to maximize tv viewership. That, in turn, maximizes the bucks in the nfl pockets.
BowCatShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 11:40 PM   #2
jjpro11
Living Legend

Member Number: 3559
Default Re: Did you notice all of the close games?

Do you really think the NFL picked up random random D3 and high school officials, told them to keep games close, and trust that they'd never go public with that information? Even if you've believed that prior to this year, there's no way the NFL would tell a bunch of regular Joes who have temporary jobs and nothing to gain from the NFL; that they should be keeping games close.
jjpro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 12:01 AM   #3
OX1947
Living Legend

Member Number: 723
Thanked 1,152 Times in 579 Posts

I think this world always thinks of conspiracies when thinks are run poorly. Sometimes you just have to sit and think, maybe the main guy in charge is just a ****ing idiot and the results are because of it.
OX1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 07:42 AM   #4
BowCatShot
Banned

Member Number: 24236

The officials don't have to be involved at all. There are only 4 members of each team that need to be complicit, in addition to Goodell and chums. Namely the owners, the head coaches, and the offensive and defensive coordinators.

It's easy to pooh pooh ideas by merely chanting "conspiracy theories...conspiracy theories". Anyone can do that. But provide an alternative viable explanation for the striking coincidences, and at the same time prove that it's not economically in the best interests of the nfl to do what I proposed.
BowCatShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 08:17 AM   #5
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 21,497 Times in 8,881 Posts
My Mood: Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowCatShot View Post
But provide an alternative viable explanation for the striking coincidences, and at the same time prove that it's not economically in the best interests of the nfl to do what I proposed.
Two overtime games made me miss the first quarter of the Steelers game.  I called DirecTV, and complained... but, they still wouldn't "unblock" the game, saying that it was supposed to be on local TV.  I thought long & hard about canceling right then.  

And that would be less money in the owners' pockets.  
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 08:38 AM   #6
SteeleReign
Team President

Member Number: 13943

Quote:
The officials don't have to be involved at all. There are only 4 members of each team that need to be complicit, in addition to Goodell and chums. Namely the owners, the head coaches, and the offensive and defensive coordinators.

It's easy to pooh pooh ideas by merely chanting "conspiracy theories...conspiracy theories". Anyone can do that. But provide an alternative viable explanation for the striking coincidences, and at the same time prove that it's not economically in the best interests of the nfl to do what I proposed.
So, let's assume that all the coaches, owners and coordinators are part of this MASSIVE conspiracy to make money for the NFL. How long do you think collusion of this magnitude would last before being exposed? I would think Sean Payton or Greg Williams would call old Goodell up & threaten to expose him if their suspensions aren't reduced.
SteeleReign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 08:51 AM   #7
Millers the sh!t
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 22201
My Mood: Cheeky

It's the American way. Take something that naturally turns out to be great, then start watering it down and manipulating it to milk it for every penny it's worth as fast as possible until its consumers realize the truth and turn their backs on the product. Then all is left is a washed up, herpe infected hooker, that no longer has her looks youth or complete control of her sphincter muscles and nobody wants anymore.

Same thing with music, movies, tv, education, automobiles, and just about every other once great American made product that faded away.

Now, I don't feel that the NFL is a written script like a soap opera or the WWF, but I definitely feel that strings are pulled throughout the season to keep ratings high and money flowing in. But like all great American products its only a matter of time. unfortunately I feel we are experiencing the most aggressive evolution yet, to the beginning of the end of decent football. It's only gonna get worst from here.
Old 09-25-2012, 03:35 AM   #8
AndyWitmyer
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 14802

I don't like buying into conspiracy theories - but I said the same exact thing to my gf today, looking over the scores across the league - and wow, I don't remember as many games that came down to three points or less all happening in the same week. This is a reflection of the poor officiating that we've seen - better teams are losing against pathetic teams again and again - and always by a couple of points.

I know the saying is "Any given Sunday" - but it's been "any given Sunday" for a lot of teams, it's been three Sundays in a row. It could be a coincidence - but, something does seem a little fishy to me...
Old 09-25-2012, 06:56 AM   #9
jjpro11
Living Legend

Member Number: 3559

Quote:

Not trying to be a dick, but the idea of owners, coaches, and coordinators all working together to keep games close is asinine. You do realize these guys are working to better their careers, make more money, and in a sport where your reputation is everything, pride is extremely important to these guys?

Yeah, sure.. In the world of conspiracy theories, the owners could all have wink-nods with their own coaches to lose games and receive payoffs.. But that's an absolutely irrational and unbelievable idea.
jjpro11 is offline   Reply With Quote