Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 09-24-2012, 02:36 PM   #11
Bayz101
Renegade
Supporter

Member Number: 18856
Thanked 5,056 Times in 2,144 Posts
My Mood: Cheerful
Default Re: Steelers Fever Exclusive Editorial: The Difference Makers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Arians View Post
Having the #1 defense doesn't matter if you make the #30- offenses look great
Exactly, and what DOES matter is that it's all happening this year. Right now.

And by the way, I highly doubt we have even a top ten defense statistically, although I never track things like that.

"Either you're playing dumb, or it's not an act". -Judge Judy

No need to drive me crazy. I can walk from here.
Bayz101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 04:13 PM   #12
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 25,639 Times in 10,397 Posts
My Mood: Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayz101 View Post
We're not going to finish below .500. Write that down.

This was my "trap" game as soon as the schedule was announced, and the defense fell into it.

The good news is the offense DIDN'T, and it looked better than the Patriots offense from last night.

Why does this matter? The Pats defense isn't the best defense either, and NO ONE has them missing the playoffs. Don't get caught up in the medias woes. We'll be fine.
BINGO!!!

If you look, the west coast teams have HOSTED a lot of these early games, and their records show it. That trip cross-country is a bear. PITT had to fly west twice in three weeks.
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 04:17 PM   #13
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RushHard34 View Post
But all it takes is ONE stop in the second half and we could be a 3-0 team. We need to get off the field in the 2nd half.

One other thing to note. This offense is only going to get BETTER.
EXACTLY!!!

1. The difference between 3-0 is one measily stop by the defense (and/or one turnover not given up). And, while Troy & Harrison are no longer in their primes, they each are very capable of one or two key plays that would turn into that aforementioned "ONE stop."

And, it need not be a sack or an INT from them; it might be a run stuff on first down or a pass batted away on third down. It is those small inches (that Al Pacino talked about) that can turn a game from a loss ot a win.

2. This offense could be very special.
Old 09-24-2012, 08:03 PM   #14
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelers>NFL View Post
Wouldn't be a bad thing. Get a high good draft pick!
I am still thinking that the Steelers will be picking (S, Matt Elam) at 32.

But, if somehow they do draft higher...(my projected draft spot)

NOSE TACKLES
Star Lotulelei, Utah St. (5)
Johnothan Hankins, Ohio St. (10)

OUTSIDE BACKERS
Barkevious Mingo, LSU (4)
Sam Montgomery, LSU (6)
Jarvis Jones, Georgia (7)
Jackson Jeffcoat, Texas (20)

INSIDE BACKERS
Manti Te'o, Notre Dame (17)

SAFETIES
TJ McDonald, USC (9)
Robert Lester, Oklahoma (15)
Eric Reid, LSU (21)
Matt Elam, Florida (32)

[NOTE: I "had" wanted Barret Jones at 32, but with the defensive struggles, it has to be either LB, NT, or S. Then again, Jones would be awesome!!!]
Old 09-24-2012, 08:09 PM   #15
StainlessStill
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 12999
Thanked 2,148 Times in 863 Posts

Here's my take on the defense thus far and this has been the case for years.

The reason why our defense was so daunting since LeBeau has returned in 04 is because of Troy's abilities to play multiple packages. Our defense is built around Polamalu (Manning in week 1 proves this.) When Troy isn't in there, we play a base, vanilla defense AT BEST. We simply don't have the bodies after Troy to go out there and call the same game and mix things up when Troy is out of the lineup. Add in the fact that our best pass-rusher is out with a knee injury and there you have a very grounded defensive philosophy in how LeBeau runs things. We are NOT as bad as this as a defense. We'll get better. No doubt,
Old 09-25-2012, 12:49 AM   #16
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessStill View Post
Here's my take on the defense thus far and this has been the case for years.

The reason why our defense was so daunting since LeBeau has returned in 04 is because of Troy's abilities to play multiple packages. Our defense is built around Polamalu (Manning in week 1 proves this.) When Troy isn't in there, we play a base, vanilla defense AT BEST. We simply don't have the bodies after Troy to go out there and call the same game and mix things up when Troy is out of the lineup. Add in the fact that our best pass-rusher is out with a knee injury and there you have a very grounded defensive philosophy in how LeBeau runs things. We are NOT as bad as this as a defense. We'll get better. No doubt,
I concur... especially with the last part: it will get better.  Not great, but better.  

I will add: Greg Lloyd was every bit the playmaker that Troy is. LeBeau thrived with Lloyd (& Lake & Woodson).  LeBeau thrived differently, but just as effectively, with Troy.  Currently, he has no one of that caliber.  

Lastly, you are right: no pass rush is huge.  Harrison should help, because when he's in, Woodley goes from good to elite.  
Old 09-25-2012, 01:14 AM   #17
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanda10506 View Post
I agree that nobody is making splash plays and that we no longer have the talent we used to, but that's about it. First off, the Pats are yet to win a Lombardi without being able to tape the other teams signals, so that is not a defense we should model ourselves after. The defense we played against the Pats last year is the defense we should be playing, and the talent is nearly the same now as it was then (remember Farrior and Harrison were out).

As far as the offense turning into something special, I can definitely see that, but I don't see it being good enough to overcome how far the defense has fell. It wasn't a "shoot out" against the Raiders, they were just allowed to make an 8-12 yard catch every time because of the cushions. Losing to them like that isn't frustrating, it's flat out f****** embarassing and it didn't have to happen, regardless of "splash" plays.
1.  The Taperiots' downfall was that Brady doesn't like being hit.  The NYGiants hit him... and, in turn, beat them in two SuperBowls.  

But, I was using the Tsperiots as a guideline: a defense that gives up FGs... while the offense scores TDs (exchange 7s for 3s).  

2.  I agree: changing the defense, depending on the opponent is a good philosophy.  (btw: that is in fact what Belichick does: alters the defense, to take away an opponent's strengths).  

3.  I foresee 31 points by the offense as more the norm that the anomaly.  Also, I foresee the defense allowing 21-24 points per game (as opposed to the 12-16 we've become accustomed to).  And, 31-24 is a win.  

4.  All of that said, losing that game hurt.  

Then again, two turnovers, as well as traveling west, twice in three weeks, does make a difference.  

That said, this game should never have been this close.  

Then again, the way that it was unfolding, I thought that it would end up 37-28...  and not for the fumbles, it would have been about that.