Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 09-24-2012, 07:43 PM   #1
LayingTheWoodley56
Starter

Member Number: 19023
Default Thoughts from a fan who does not think the sky is falling after 3 games

First, I have to say that I find it disgusting how many so-called "fans" bash our team with such vitriol and hatred evident in their words. We have people talking about Casey's "fat ass" getting pushed around, forgetting that this guy has bled black and gold for us for a decade. We have people screaming for Dick Lebeau's head, when the man had a defense in the Super Bowl two years ago and led the number-one ranked defense last year. There was one freaking idiot who was somehow stupid enough to be ranting about how Ben is "overrated" after he has put together an excellent three-game stretch to start the season and is the absolute least of our problems and, indeed, far and away our biggest strength at this point.

I mean, do you people even enjoy rooting for this team? I'd hate to be in your shoes on Sundays, to be honest. Doesn't seem like it's much fun, and after all, that is what being a fan is all about. So really, I feel sorry for you haters.

Anyway, here are my assessments after our admittedly disappointing 1-2 start.

- A brief point: Yes, we are 1-2 but those two losses have both come in west coast road games, which we know are rarely easy.

- I will admit that I have never known in my 12 seasons as a Steeler fan (I'm 22) our defense to play this poorly. It is upsetting how wide open opposing receivers have been, and it is time for Lebeau to tweak what he's been doing, as it is clearly not working with this group. Let's not forget, however, that Keenan Lewis is a first time starter and Mundy has had to fill in for either Troy or Clark in each of the first 3 games. Once we get those two back playing together there will be improvement. Mundy has not shown himself to be anything more than a back-up, unfortunately. It is time to admit that. As for those hating on Ike, I don't know what your watching. He is not a top-tier corner, but he is consistently solid and we could do a lot worse with our number one.

- Never though I'd say this, but we need Mendy back. Redman is better than Dwyer IMO, but they are not a strong enough one-two punch to carry this backfield. Once Rashard is back, him and Red have the potential to be a solid team back there. Our running game will improve with Mendy's return, and (later on) Decastro's. I know people here endorse Dwyer, but to be honest I don't see it.

- It's still mystifying our inability to force turnovers the past 20 games. A big part of that is the lack of a pass rush, which can be attributed largely to the fact that Wood and Harrison have scarcely been on the field together since last September. Is anyone seeing a theme here? We need to get our guys healthy and be able to put our best unit out there. Carter and Worilds are both not ready for prime-time; I don't know if they ever will be.

- Finally, on a positive note, we are seeing a Ben Roethlisberger at the top of his game. He is throwing the rock in a way that I have not seen previously, and he is primed to have his best season (I said this going in.) He has never had the arsenal of weapons that he has right now with AB (yesterday's miscues not withstanding), Wallace, Sanders, and (finally we are using him in the red zone like we should have been all along!) Heath. For the first time since I've been a fan, our defense is the problem, and our offense has the potential to be exceedingly explosive and our greatest strength.

So, let's all take one big chill pill and recognize that 3 games a season does not make. Our offense has looked encouraging so far; if Lebeau can get the defense where it needs to be, and we can get healthy, this team could still make some noise. Ben gives us a chance to win every week, no matter who we are playing. Don't forget that the Giants were 7-7 through 14 games last season, and we know how their season ended. So let's have a little faith around here. Mods, I think perhaps we should think about opening up a new section of the board for the doom-and-gloom crowd, because frankly I find them a depressing drag on Steeler Nation.
LayingTheWoodley56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 07:54 PM   #2
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 10,920 Times in 4,520 Posts
Default Re: Thoughts from a fan who does not think the sky is falling after 3 games

atlanta dan has already pointed out that starting 1-2 doesnt bode well for our playoff chances. the team has already dug itself a deep hole and we really havent even played the stiff part of our schedule yet.

but im a glass half full type of guy. when we are tied with the ravens/bungs for either teh afc north seed or 6th and final playoff spot and lose out, week 3 will be one we look at as missed opportunity.
Old 09-24-2012, 08:01 PM   #3
harrison'samonster
Living Legend

Member Number: 17630
Thanked 11,247 Times in 4,489 Posts
My Mood: Tired
Default Re: Thoughts from a fan who does not think the sky is falling after 3 games

i wouldn't be too upset about fans coming on here and bashing the team, i think we're all disappointed and everybody needs to get their frustration out somewhere.

What people are saying about hampton are pretty much what they had been saying about A. Smith and Ward too an extent. Can't let it bother you too much
Old 09-24-2012, 08:02 PM   #4
StainlessStill
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 12999
Thanked 2,140 Times in 858 Posts

Take care of our division, and these AFC opponents that we just dropped to mean JACK. Fortunately, we are going to have back some KEY players that mold this team on its pillars. Mendenhall on the ground game, Harrison as a edge rusher and Troy as a free lancing prowler. ALL PROBLEMS right now in our defense. This BYE WEEK is huge for this Steelers team RIGHT NOW. We'll come back home and simply take care of business.

Looking at the schedule, we have a TON of home games to finish out the season. That is good news for us as we are TOUGH to beat at home. We didn't play one division game YET.

Atleast split Cincy/Balty and I think we'll be in good shape. I still see us as a 10 win football team.

It's early, guys.
Old 09-24-2012, 08:03 PM   #5
LayingTheWoodley56
Starter

Member Number: 19023

tony, i'm not saying that i'm thrilled with our start. i agree that 1-2 is not where we want to be, but it is by no means a death sentence. we win after our bye and we're 2-2 right where we were last season before we went on a run to 12-4, albeit with a tougher slate of games this year
LayingTheWoodley56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 08:17 PM   #6
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,488 Times in 3,733 Posts

1-2 is not good but it is not a disaster

Need to go no worse than 4-2 the next 6 games before 2 games in 3 weeks against the Ravens or the season is toast

Eagles
at Titans
at Bengals
Redskins
at Giants
Chiefs

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/foo...ers/index.html

At Cincy could be a huge game
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 08:26 PM   #7
maddog78
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 24321

Hate to say it, but LeBeau doesn't appear to be much of a schemer. When he loses a couple star players, we get no pressure, no TO's, no stops when we need them.

Can he not scheme any pressure whatsoever?
maddog78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 08:29 PM   #8
maddog78
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 24321

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessStill View Post
Take care of our division, and these AFC opponents that we just dropped to mean JACK.
Could mean the difference between playing home and away in the playoffs. Do you trust this team on the road?
maddog78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 08:35 PM   #9
StainlessStill
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 12999
Thanked 2,140 Times in 858 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddog78 View Post
Hate to say it, but LeBeau doesn't appear to be much of a schemer. When he loses a couple star players, we get no pressure, no TO's, no stops when we need them.

I don't buy into this thought process. The scheme will always be the scheme. What good is scheme if our athletes don't execute? The defense that has worked for a decade is still in place. When it comes down to it, LeBeau has absolutely, positively NO depth at the linebacking position. Not only is Harrison out, but we lost Sean Spence and Worlids didn't play one snap in training camp. He appears to be a fat SLOB and out of shape.

There comes a time when the scheme is in place and it's up to the PLAYERS to beat your keys one on one and we simply don't have that right now in the secondary with Mundy or on our edge rush with Carter/Worlids combination.

As for being tested on the road. We need to get better and find a way to win, but we just went into 2 of the most hostile places in the league to play and had a chance to win, both having leads in those games.

We can get it done. It's a couple fix's here and there that needs to be found and found quickly. This BYE comes at the perfect time. Lots of soul searching and coaching strategics to get better by the time we see Philly coming in here.
Old 09-24-2012, 09:04 PM   #10
surcalifero
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 13079

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddog78 View Post

Im thinking of dropping the Steelers defense and pick up the Seahawks defense for fantasy football.
surcalifero is offline   Reply With Quote