Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Browns Bills
September 7, 2014, 1:00pmET

CBS

Old 09-25-2012, 07:36 AM   #1
steelerchad
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 5792
Default AFC wildcard 9-7

Just looking at the early results and parity in the AFC, I'd be shocked if the 2nd place teams in either the West or South were better than 9-7.

Houston will run away with the South and the rest will be sub .500 I believe.

The West is a crap shoot and you could end up with all 4 teams between 9-7 and 7-9. I doubt 1 of them distances themselves from the others, let alone 2 of them, so I don't think a wildcard will come from the west either.

In the East the Jets are 2-1, but no Revis spells disaster for them. They'll be lucky to win 8. Bills maybe, but will they really be better than 9-7. Pats should win the division, but coming from 1-2 they will knock the other teams down in the division to do it.

Our division could really once again produce both wildcards. I know it's early, but I don't see very many good teams in the AFC yet. A lot could change.
steelerchad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 08:36 AM   #2
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 3,823 Times in 1,837 Posts
My Mood: Fine
Default Re: AFC wildcard 9-7

Yea, and you think this team, as of now, is capable of going into Cincy and winning?
N_O_P_E. We are an awful road team right now. So, you can say what you want about us getting a wild card spot - but it won't mean much at this rate with this team other than 1 more away game to be embarrassed about

that said, still early. We go 1-3, and I might just be starting to just root against the Ravens - and man are those seasons hard to get through

Look into my eyes
SF Haters
steelfury02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 11:38 AM   #3
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 6,129 Times in 2,629 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

9-7 sounds like it could happen. 6-2 at home, 3-5 away. We are very tough to beat at home but can't seem to ever be consistent on the road. we can at least count on beating cleveland away lol.
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 12:38 PM   #4
LVSteelersfan
Living Legend

Member Number: 6620
My Mood: Cheerful

I just don't think the team has been as bad as some of you keep saying they are. The defense has taken a step back but the offense is light years ahead of the Arian's years. We are built to compete in shootouts now. Which is what most of the winning teams are doing these days. The days of ground and pound and hold them with your defense are done. The rules will not allow it.

COACH - Breakfast of Champions !!!
LVSteelersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 12:54 PM   #5
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

well if the offense improved, but the defense dropped off, I'd say we're right back to where we started last season at best, and that is a bad road team

If we can't win the division and homefield, then we won't be doin chit

Look into my eyes
SF Haters
Old 09-25-2012, 01:49 PM   #6
steelerchad
Team President
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelfury02 View Post
well if the offense improved, but the defense dropped off, I'd say we're right back to where we started last season at best, and that is a bad road team

If we can't win the division and homefield, then we won't be doin chit
Based on what?

Do you realize a #1 seed with homefield throughout the playoffs almost never wins the SuperBowl. In fact, only twice in the last 10 years has a #1 seed ended up winning it all. In addition to that, only 4 teams that had a first round bye have won the SB in the last 10 years. Wildcard teams have also won 4 times. Division winners who didn't get a bye have won the other 2. So, you're just as likely to win it all as any other team if you qualify for the playoffs. The keys to winning it all are to be playing great football in Dec/Jan and being healthy heading into the playoffs. Neither of these things are us right now, but they could be in 3 months.
Old 09-25-2012, 02:18 PM   #7
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

based on being 1-4 in last 5 road games.

I guess if we want to discuss the definition of trends that is a whole other thread

I'm also going to say that there is a 50/50 shot of your scenario working out as well

Look into my eyes
SF Haters
Old 09-25-2012, 02:25 PM   #8
StainlessStill
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 12999
Thanked 1,253 Times in 525 Posts

I like 10-6 for our football team. That was my gut feeling before the season and I'm sticking with it. We could easily be 3-0 right now. If we hold the lead VS Denver in a hostile environment and if we hold onto the football in Oakland, we hold the lead and walk away with the W.

Even though the team fell short 2 out of its first 3 weeks, we were more than capable of victory. People need to RELAX! It's not mid-season. I'd start to worry on a 3 game losing streak, you know, like 2005! D'oh!
Old 09-25-2012, 02:30 PM   #9
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Stainless, I see what you are saying, and the Steelers have been in worse spots and pulled themselves out of it - one half of me is saying just relax and wait to see if they play consistently solid, winning football

The other half of me is saying, what the deuce, we should be 3-0, look at the Cardinals, blah blah blah, but then who is to say they won't fall off the map midway-end of season?

It's a 50/50 shot, but I will say I've witnessed some steady decline in the defense since XLV, sure, we were 12-4, but did anyone really see the 11 squad as same as the 10 squad? We could go 12-4 with this squad, but if it is 12-4 with the same kind of output, I won't be extremely confident

Look into my eyes
SF Haters
Old 09-25-2012, 03:11 PM   #10
steelerchad
Team President
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelfury02 View Post
based on being 1-4 in last 5 road games.

I guess if we want to discuss the definition of trends that is a whole other thread

I'm also going to say that there is a 50/50 shot of your scenario working out as well
OK. So 1-4 in our last 5 road games. I guess that's a trend. Kind of like the trend that we were 4-1 in the 5 road games before those last 5. It's not the fact that the team can't win on the road, it's the health of the team, coupled with the fact that road games are tough to win in the NFL, especially West Coast trips. All 4 of our losses you speak of were West Coast losses, with health being a major issue, and against good teams except the Raiders.

Don't panic, yet.