Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 08-02-2006, 08:18 PM   #1
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398
Default The Duce is Loose in Latrobe

After reading this article (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_464508.html) about Staley and his attitude that he had last year, I'm hoping he comes out in Latrobe and makes it difficult for Parker to remain the #1 guy.

Don't get me wrong, I like Willie, but there's nothing wrong with some competition to make the team stronger!

And Duce showed nothing but class....STEELERS CLASS!!!

Time to make another dynasty - THREEPEAT THE REPEAT!!!

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
stlrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 08:36 PM   #2
Jeremy
Banned

Member Number: 2579
Default Re: The Duce is Loose in Latrobe

I've made the comment to several people that the Steelers have been able to produce an almost collegiate like enviroment inside their locker room. This is just another example of that enviroment. The fact that Bettis and Staley were able to maintain such great mutaul respect is a testament to the type of men they are and to the type of team that the Steelers have built.
Jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 09:06 PM   #3
Polamalu43
Team Captain

Member Number: 2665

yeah i love deuce also, i really hope he dcan stay healthy this season, that would really help out parker alot.

"If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." - Jack lambert
Polamalu43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 10:04 PM   #4
SteelersMongol
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 2401

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlrtruck
After reading this article (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_464508.html) about Staley and his attitude that he had last year, I'm hoping he comes out in Latrobe and makes it difficult for Parker to remain the #1 guy.

Don't get me wrong, I like Willie, but there's nothing wrong with some competition to make the team stronger!

And Duce showed nothing but class....STEELERS CLASS!!!

Time to make another dynasty - THREEPEAT THE REPEAT!!!
Thanks for the nice post. More points to you.

I love Duce. The way him and the Bus getting along was like brothers kind of reminds me of my dad and his youngest brother (my uncle).

They had relationship that they can take bullets for one another, and won't complain who got bigger peice of cheese. I think Bus gave GREAT example to both Duce and Willie. Now with Verron they should be good to go, I hope. God bless them all, and grant us another trophy!
Old 08-02-2006, 10:53 PM   #5
BIGBENFASTWILLIE
Living Legend

Member Number: 618

great post...I heard about that at the end of last year....And there was rumors it was also to make sure Duce was 100% for this year....
Old 08-03-2006, 06:37 AM   #6
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009

Respect for Bettis meant Staley didn't complain of '05 snub
By The Associated Press
Thursday, August 3, 2006

Duce Staley wasn't going to ruin what was likely to be Jerome Bettis' last year in the NFL, even if it meant sacrificing one of his own final seasons.
Staley, a three-time 1,000-yard rusher, willingly stayed on the Pittsburgh Steelers' sidelines most of last season so Bettis could take one last run — and it would prove to be a successful one — at the Super Bowl.

Despite being healthy most of the season, Staley did not complain when he played in only five games. He did not disrupt the Steelers' off-field chemistry by saying he should be playing, not Bettis. He stayed in the background, though that had to be a difficult role for a player who was on pace for a 1,600-yard season when he got hurt the year before.

Maybe he scored only one touchdown last season. Maybe he didn't play in the Steelers' final seven games despite rushing for 76 yards, a 5.1 per-carry average and the team's only offensive touchdown in the one game he started. Regardless, Duce Staley felt he earned the Super Bowl ring he received with the Steelers, and coach Bill Cowher did, too.

"He thanked me all the time, and I told him I didn't need a thank you because I was part of the team, and that's part of my duties," Staley said.

Staley signed a $14 million, four-year contract with the Steelers in 2004 to become their primary running back. The signing sent Bettis, the No. 5 rusher in NFL history, to the bench, but Bettis openly welcomed Staley to the team and did not publicly criticize the signing.

That Bettis was classy and respectful in what had to be a difficult situation for one of the most productive running backs in NFL history impressed Staley, who was averaging 101 yards per game through seven games when he injured a hamstring in late October.

Staley rushed for only 123 yards the rest of that 2004 season, with Bettis stepping in to gain 941 yards despite playing little before the Staley injury in what would become a 15-1 season for the Steelers.

When Staley (knee) and Bettis (calf) were injured early in training camp last year, former undrafted free agent Willie Parker took advantage by gaining 1,202 yards during the season and another 225 yards in the playoffs.

When Bettis returned, he became the backup. Staley settled for being inactive most of the season.

"But I've been in tougher situations," Staley said, referring to the three-man running back rotation the Philadelphia Eagles tried in the last of his seven seasons with them in 2003. "Just seeing those guys go out there every Sunday and produce, I had nothing else to say about that. I'm a fan of Willie's and a fan of Jerome's, those guys are a fan of me, and it was one big group that played together."

Staley also remembered how Bettis did not express any unhappiness about being benched for him in 2004.

"I wasn't going to be selfish, say I should be out there playing — that's just not me," Staley said. "I knew I had that respect from Jerome coming in, even when I wasn't hurt. I carried the same respect when I got hurt. I was the same person throughout the whole deal."

The Steelers now hope the 31-year-old Staley, after carrying only 100 times over the last season and a half, can go back to being as productive as he was before getting hurt in 2004. He will backup Parker when the season starts, but could be used some in the third-down role that Verron Haynes has played for two seasons.

"It's all about who fits our system the best," said Staley, often used as a receiver out of the backfield in Philadelphia. "Of course, we're going to go out there and continue to run the ball, it's been our thing for years. It's not going to change. I'm excited and I can't wait to see what it brings."

Cowher said, "I think the year off has really kind of invigorated him."

Parker understands his big year came only after Staley was hurt, and both he and Haynes admire how Staley did not speak out a year ago.

"To sacrifice like that takes a tremendous guy," Haynes said. "That he could give it up because of the situation with Jerome, that shows a lot and speaks volumes about his character."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_464508.html
Old 08-03-2006, 08:00 AM   #7
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Duce is definitely a teamer and I am looking forward to seeing him running through (and over!) DLs this season. It's great to see how these guys respect each other not only as teammates, but as human beings. Seeing this comradery both on and off the field has to be a huge motivator for our rookies and FAs coming in to strive even harder to be a part of this team. It makes me even prouder to be a Pittsburgh Steelers fan, if that is even possible.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 08:08 AM   #8
BlackNGold203
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 1217

Quote:
Originally Posted by HometownGal
Duce is definitely a teamer and I am looking forward to seeing him running through (and over!) DLs this season. It's great to see how these guys respect each other not only as teammates, but as human beings. Seeing this comradery both on and off the field has to be a huge motivator for our rookies and FAs coming in to strive even harder to be a part of this team. It makes me even prouder to be a Pittsburgh Steelers fan, if that is even possible.

Duce could be a big surprise....most everyone is counting this dude out....when healthy....I know...a big if....but when healthy...he's a horse....
Old 08-03-2006, 08:17 AM   #9
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackNGold203
Duce could be a big surprise....most everyone is counting this dude out....when healthy....I know...a big if....but when healthy...he's a horse....
I agree completely, IF Duce can stay healthy this running game is going to be deadly in my opinion. Listen, Duce already proved to me what he can do when he's healthy. The guy is a monster. At the same time, I have concerns if either Duce or Willie get injured. In my opinion, Duce staying healthy is key. My faith in Haynes is very limited.

Last edited by 83-Steelers-43; 08-03-2006 at 08:30 AM.
83-Steelers-43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 11:46 AM   #10
SteelerFanInCA
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 875

Duce definitely seems like a class act. I'm sure quite of bit of Jerome rubbed off on him as well. Hopefully he is rewarded for his humbleness and has a great and healthy year.
SteelerFanInCA is offline   Reply With Quote