Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 10-04-2012, 04:36 PM   #1
pete74
Super Moderator
Supporter

Member Number: 15921
Default DeCastro

52 minutes ago

PITTSBURGH (AP) -- Even with his surgically repaired right knee still on the mend, the Pittsburgh Steelers are finding ways to use rookie offensive guard David DeCastro.

''He's been doing all the extra things all the young guys are doing,'' joked offensive coordinator Todd Haley. ''Some of that includes filling the refrigerator for the offensive line room, and the chip bag and the snack box and all those things.''

All kidding aside, the Steelers are pleased with the progress their first-round pick has made since injuring his knee in a preseason win over Buffalo on Aug. 25. DeCastro is walking without a brace and has been cleared to work on the stationary bike, though it's still uncertain when he'll make it back to the practice field.

''I don't have any pain, so I'm just working hard to try to get back,'' DeCastro said.

Pittsburgh placed DeCastro on the newly created Injured Reserve-Return list last month, meaning the team could place him back on the 53-man roster at some point in the second half of the season.

There's little doubt the Steelers could use the former All-American at Stanford to give the offensive line a little thump in the running game. The Steelers (1-2) rank last in the NFL, averaging 2.6 yards a carry.

''It's tough for him to lose his first year in the NFL,'' guard Willie Colon said. ''He was a projected starter coming out, so it's been tough. Obviously, to go down like that, it has to be disappointing. But he's a head-strong kid. He knows what it takes to get back on the horse as soon as possible.''

The reserved DeCastro has been a fixture in position meetings while undergoing rehab. That work ethic has quickly won over some of DeCastro's veteran teammates.

''He watches practice and goes through walkthroughs,'' Colon said. ''So, that's a good sign that he's here all the time. And he's still part of the family, so we want to keep him close.''

The Steelers figured they made one of the steals of the draft when they grabbed DeCastro with the 24th overall pick in April. He's done little during his downtime to raise any concerns about his commitment to the game.

''The key thing when you have an injury is that you stay in the mix mentally,'' Haley said. ''He is all football and this is what he does. That was never really a worry to many of us.''

While DeCastro will have to wait awhile longer to make his season debut, the Steelers believe the rushing attack will get a needed boost on Sunday against the Eagles (3-1) on starter Rashard Mendenhall returns.

The fifth-year running back hasn't played since tearing the ACL in his right knee on New Year's Day but was a full participant yet again in practice on Wednesday and is expected to be in uniform as the Steelers try to avoid their first 1-3 start in six years.

Pittsburgh is 31st in the NFL in rushing yards per game, averaging a paltry 65 yards a game. If Mendenhall can be effective it should give the Steelers enough balance to take some of the pressure off quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, who has been brilliant over the first three games.

And while Pittsburgh would love to have DeCastro on the field sooner rather than later, they're in no rush to bring him back. The Steelers have him penciled in as the starting right guard for the next decade. If the next decade doesn't start for a few weeks, that's fine.

''He's no longer a rookie mentally,'' Haley said. ''The key for him is taking it day by day and getting himself healthy first and foremost.''

---
Old 10-04-2012, 05:01 PM   #2
FrancoLambert
Head Coach

Member Number: 20827
Thanked 1,206 Times in 652 Posts
Default Re: DeCastro

I was so down when this promising kid was injured.
It's great to hear (but not surprising) that he's mentally a veteran already.
Go DD, can't wait to have you back!
FrancoLambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:34 PM   #3
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 14,176 Times in 5,977 Posts

This morning, I bought a winning lottery ticket ($100 winner). For lunch, my coworker bought me a BRC burrito, with extra guac. And now this.

This is the greatest day of my life!!!

What!??...kids being born???... wedding day!?!... uh, did you see the part about the extra guac!?!
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:01 PM   #4
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair QB
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 6,839 Times in 2,971 Posts

David DeCastro feeling no pain in his knee

Posted by Josh Alper on October 4, 2012

The Steelers lost guard David DeCastro for at least the first eight weeks of the season when they put him on the injured reserve/recall list after he injured his knee in the preseason.

DeCastro can start practicing after six weeks, the exact date is Oct. 19, and it looks like he might not be too far off from being able to do that once that date rolls around. Members of the Steelers say that DeCastro has impressed them with his diligent rehab and classroom work since he went down with a torn MCL and dislocated kneecap in a preseason game against the Bills.

ďI donít have any pain, so Iím just working hard to try to get back,Ē DeCastro said, via Mark Kaboly of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review.

DeCastro was expected to be the teamís starting right guard this season and its not clear if heíll be able to step into that role upon his return to active duty later this season. He certainly has more going for him than Ramon Foster, but getting such a late start could hinder his ability to jump right into the middle of an NFL season. Of course, there could be injuries or other factors forcing the Steelers hand at offensive line at that point, so having a healthy DeCastro is only going to be a good thing for Pittsburgh whenever it comes to pass.

DeCastro hasnít started running yet, so forecasting a return date is a bit premature at present. As long as his return comes with enough time left in the season, his ability to stay mentally connected should help him fill whatever role the team has in mind for him.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...n-in-his-knee/
Hawaii 5-0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:08 PM   #5
tanda10506
Team President

Member Number: 17319

Quote:
Originally Posted by teegre View Post
This morning, I bought a winning lottery ticket ($100 winner). For lunch, my coworker bought me a BRC burrito, with extra guac. And now this.

This is the greatest day of my life!!!

What!??...kids being born???... wedding day!?!... uh, did you see the part about the extra guac!?!
someone got a hold of the good s*** again

Really happy about the news. DeCastro says there is already no pain in the knee after a major injury, I guess that's the benefit of being 22 as opposed to 32 (Harrison). I don't want him rushed back, but once he's 100% I'd like to see him put right back in. Our O line is pass blocking well and if that decreases when DeCastro comes back in then you can always put Foster back in, but we need to see if he can at least help with the run game. Can't put much faith in an injured rookie coming back and making a big impact late in the year, but the way our team looks now it's worth waiting for.
Old 10-04-2012, 09:23 PM   #6
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 14,176 Times in 5,977 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanda10506 View Post
someone got a hold of the good s*** again

Really happy about the news. DeCastro says there is already no pain in the knee after a major injury, I guess that's the benefit of being 22 as opposed to 32 (Harrison). I don't want him rushed back, but once he's 100% I'd like to see him put right back in. Our O line is pass blocking well and if that decreases when DeCastro comes back in then you can always put Foster back in, but we need to see if he can at least help with the run game. Can't put much faith in an injured rookie coming back and making a big impact late in the year, but the way our team looks now it's worth waiting for.
I watched this kid for two years... waiting for him to play for the Steelers... and, alas, I'm still waiting.

I can't wait until he returns -er- finally plays. But, agreed: I do NOT want to see him rushed back, until 100%... and then wait for a few weeks longer (just for good measure). I will have waited so long... at that point, what's an extra fortnight!?!

[To quote Aziz Ansari: I conducted a study, and found out that eating a quesadilla, at 3:00am... is delicious!!!]
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 12:56 AM   #7
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair QB
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 6,839 Times in 2,971 Posts

DeCastro making strides in comeback

By Mark Kaboly
Published: Thursday, October 4, 2012

Steelers first-round draft pick David DeCastro is helped up after being injured during a preseason game Aug. 25 at Ralph Wilson Stadium in Buffalo. DeCastro tore his right medial collateral ligament, dislocated his kneecap and damaged his patellar tendon. He had surgery four days later and is working to return to the active roster later this season.

It’s been only five weeks since David DeCastro had surgery on his injured right knee, but the Steelers’ first-round pick is walking without a limp and feels no pain.

DeCastro tore the medial collateral ligament, dislocated his kneecap and damaged the patellar tendon when his right leg buckled under him during a preseason game Aug. 25 in Buffalo. He had surgery four days later.

“I don’t have any pain, so I’m just working hard to try to get back,” DeCastro said.

His rehab has consisted mostly of riding a stationary bike. He has yet to run but has been working out almost daily for a couple of weeks since he had a knee braced removed. He anticipates returning to the active roster later this season.

“I saw him (Wednesday) on the bike, and that was encouraging,” offensive coordinator Todd Haley said. “The key thing with an injury is that you stay in the mix mentally.”

DeCastro doesn’t have to rush, thanks to an injured reserve/designated to return rule passed a day after his surgery.

Players can begin practicing six weeks after they were designated to IR and can return to the active roster two weeks after their first practice.

The earliest DeCastro can practice is Oct. 19, and the earliest he can be removed from IR would be in time for the Nov. 4 game against the New York Giants. The Steelers have the option to keep DeCastro on injured reserve as long as they want.

“He is all football all the time, so he is not a worry to us,” Haley said.

DeCastro has kept himself busy outside of rehab by becoming more involved in team meetings, practices and walk-throughs.

“The key for him is taking it day by day and getting himself healthy,” Haley said. “He’s been in every meeting and doing all the extra things that all the young guys are doing. Some of that includes filling the refrigerator for the offensive line room and the chip bag and the snack box and all those things.”

DeCastro, the 24th overall pick out of Stanford, took over the starting right guard spot by the second week of training camp was being counted on to improve a suspect offensive line.

“He comes in and does his rehab and lately he has been staying for the evening meetings,” guard Ramon Foster said. “He is part of us like everybody else. He is part of the room. We don’t treat him any differently than anybody else.”

DeCastro was in line to become just the fourth rookie lineman to start a season opener for the Steelers. The team is hoping to have him back in time for the stretch run.

“He knows what it takes to get back on the horse as soon as possible,” guard Willie Colon said. “Everybody around here is looking forward to getting him back out there.”

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/...#ixzz28OSvGRah
Hawaii 5-0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 01:06 AM   #8
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 2,672 Times in 1,156 Posts

Quote:
, the Steelers believe the rushing attack will get a needed boost on Sunday against the Eagles (3-1) on starter Rashard Mendenhall returns.
hold up !!!
for the past 2 years all i've heard around here ,is that a healthy dose of redzone redman would cure the steelers running game ....
geesh i guess maybe the dancing and spinning must not have been the problem....who'd a thunk it....

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 03:28 PM   #9
truesteelerfan
Team Captain

Member Number: 11218

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets View Post
hold up !!!
for the past 2 years all i've heard around here ,is that a healthy dose of redzone redman would cure the steelers running game ....
geesh i guess maybe the dancing and spinning must not have been the problem....who'd a thunk it....
You beat me to this thought - I was excited to see how Redman would do also - but you're absolutely right - Does everyone who in the preseason was ready to let Mendy walk at the end of this sesason without a contract feel the same way after our 2.6 yard average per carry- or have feelings changed?

Last edited by truesteelerfan; 10-05-2012 at 03:28 PM. Reason: spelling
truesteelerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 04:08 PM   #10
vasteeler
Team President

Member Number: 3341

Quote:
Originally Posted by truesteelerfan View Post
You beat me to this thought - I was excited to see how Redman would do also - but you're absolutely right - Does everyone who in the preseason was ready to let Mendy walk at the end of this sesason without a contract feel the same way after our 2.6 yard average per carry- or have feelings changed?

ill own up.....and im really hoping to eat a lot of crow this sunday
vasteeler is offline   Reply With Quote