Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 08-03-2006, 11:03 AM   #1
Mosca
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 1751
Default Bush grants self permission...

Bush Grants Self Permission To Grant More Power To Self

The Onion,
August 1, 2006

WASHINGTON, DC—In a decisive 1–0 decision Monday, President Bush voted to grant the president the constitutional power to grant himself additional powers.

"As president, I strongly believe that my first duty as president is to support and serve the president," Bush said during a televised address from the East Room of the White House shortly after signing his executive order. "I promise the American people that I will not abuse this new power, unless it becomes necessary to grant myself the power to do so at a later time."

The Presidential Empowerment Act, which the president hand-drafted on his own Oval Office stationery and promptly signed into law, provides Bush with full authority to permit himself to authorize increased jurisdiction over the three branches of the federal government, provided that the president considers it in his best interest to do so.

"In a time of war, the president must have the power he needs to make the tough decisions, including, if need be, the decision to grant himself even more power," Bush said. "To do otherwise would be playing into the hands of our enemies."

Added Bush: "And it's all under due process of the law as I see it."

In addition, the president reserves the right to overturn any decision to allow himself to increase his power by using a line-item veto, which in turn may only be overruled by the president.

Senior administration officials lauded Bush's decision, saying that current presidential powers over presidential power were "far too limited."

"Previously, the president only had the power to petition Congress to allow him to grant himself the power to grant more power to himself," Attorney General Alberto Gonzalez said shortly after the ceremony. "Now, the president can grant himself the power to interpret new laws however he sees fit, then use that power to interpret a law in such a manner that in turn grants him increased power."

In addition, a proviso in the 12th provision of the new law permits Bush the authority to waive the need for any presidential authorization of power in a case concerning national security, although legal experts suggest it would be little exercised.

Despite the president's new powers, the role of Congress and the Supreme Court has not been overlooked. Under the new law, both enjoy the newly broadened ability to grant the president the authority to increase his presidential powers.

"This gives the president the tools he needs to ensure that the president has all the necessary tools to expedite what needs to be done, unfettered by presidential restrictions on himself," said Rep. John Cornyn (R-TX). "It's long overdue."

Though public response to the new law has been limited, there has been an unfavorable reaction among Democrats, who are calling for restrictions on Bush's power to allow himself to grant the president more powers that would restrict the powers of Congress.

"This is a clear case of President Bush having carte blanche to grant himself complete discretion to enact laws to increase his power," Senate Minority Leader Harry Reid (D-NV) said. "The only thing we can do now is withhold our ability to grant him more authority to grant himself more power."

"Unless he authorizes himself to strip us of that power," Reid added.

Despite criticism, Bush took his first official action under the new law Tuesday, signing an executive order ordering that the chief executive be able to order more executive orders.

In addition, Republicans fearful that the president's new power undermines their ability to grant him power have proposed a new law that would allow senators to permit him to grant himself power, with or without presidential approval.

Last edited by Mosca; 08-03-2006 at 11:24 AM.
Mosca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 11:21 AM   #2
Cape Cod Steel Head
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 545
Default Re: Bush grants self permission...

Anyone here ever read a book by Sinclair Lewis entitled "It Can't Happen Here"? Careful what you say. Big Brother is watching!
Cape Cod Steel Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 11:25 AM   #3
I-Want-Troy's-Hair
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 2698

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosca
Bush Grants Self Permission To Grant More Power To Self

The Onion,
August 1, 2006

WASHINGTON, DC?In a decisive 1?0 decision Monday, President Bush voted to grant the president the constitutional power to grant himself additional powers.
What he ought grant himself is a brain it's obvious by the things he says proves to me he doesn't have one!!! He's nothing but a bunch of hot air and When he talks this is what I hear
I-Want-Troy's-Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 11:44 AM   #4
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Actually I have no problem with this. The President's position historically has always been that of a figurehead who has had to bow down and kiss the feet of the Senate/Congress to take any immediate action on anything. It took day upon day upon day to wade through of all of the political mud-slinging and red tape to get "permission" to act on virtually anything.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 11:52 AM   #5
Jeremy
Banned

Member Number: 2579

Quote:
Actually I have no problem with this. The President's position historically has always been that of a figurehead who has had to bow down and kiss the feet of the Senate/Congress to take any immediate action on anything. It took day upon day upon day to wade through of all of the political mud-slinging and red tape to get "permission" to act on virtually anything.
It's called checks and balances. It's the basis on that radical theory we call democrcy. I'm sure people like yourself would be perfectly comfortable living in Cuba where the will of the dictator is law. But those of us who enjoy the democratic process actually take comfort in the fact that the President cannot simply assert his will however he sees fit.
Jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 12:09 PM   #6
Cape Cod Steel Head
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 545

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlainWhiteBasicBlue
It's called checks and balances. It's the basis on that radical theory we call democrcy. I'm sure people like yourself would be perfectly comfortable living in Cuba where the will of the dictator is law. But those of us who enjoy the democratic process actually take comfort in the fact that the President cannot simply assert his will however he sees fit.
Damn those Founding Fathers!
Cape Cod Steel Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 12:23 PM   #7
Mosca
Team President
Supporter

I'm not so sure about that, HG. Historically the President has always had more power than any one person in the US government. Historically presidents had more power than they do today; the line was pulled back at the request of the American people in the wake of the Watergate scandal. You could make a fair case that it was quite a restriction, but it by no means reduced the President to a figurehead. And most recent presidents have had Congress at the crack of a whip (Nixon, Reagan, Bush, Johnson, Truman, Roosevelt); even Carter and Ford got what they asked for even if it was wrong, and most of Clinton's legislation got passed even though Congress was controlled by the Republicans at the time.

I voted for Bush the first time; I have no problem crossing party lines for the guy I think is best. But his campaign promise in '00 was to end the partisanism, to end the rule of the extremes, and in the last 6 years it's only gotten worse. And the party in power now feels that they don't need to listen to those of us who disagree with what's happening; there is a growing official distain for anything that even hints at a lack of lock-step agreement, manifest in subversively recalcitrant "signing statements".

It's OK to have a president with power. As much as I disagreed with Reagan's politics, I have no problem saying that he was a great American and a powerful president. But I also believe that "of the people, by the people and for the people" is still the way our country should be governed. And I respect that even an arch-conservative like Reagan could be a great president playing under those rules.

And finally, remember that it cuts both ways. It's not hard to imagine the backlash from the current administration's policies leading to a sweep of Congress this year, and a sweep of the White House in '08. Would you want the idea of rule by presidential fiat to be established as fact when the sitting president wants all cars to be run by ethanol by the end of 2010? When said president wants the power to ignore treaties ratified by Congress (like Bush is doing now)? I don't. I trust my GOVERNMENT, not my PRESIDENT. My President is a single, fallible man. My current President is inclined to act from the gut rather than through thought and analysis; that's OK for office politics and car clubs, but it's not a very good strategy for deciding the future of the human race. I prefer a bit more deliberation and consultation.

Tom
Old 08-03-2006, 12:30 PM   #8
klick81
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 1396

LOL! Are you all serious? The Onion is a satirical newspaper (if you can call it that). This is a joke
klick81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 12:50 PM   #9
Mosca
Team President
Supporter

klick81,

I think we all know that, but the issue itself is also being discussed seriously. The Onion drew a serious point with its satire, and we are now following up on it (but perhaps not as wittily!)

I like a point like HometownGal made, though. I disagree with it, but unless there was something to be said IN FAVOR OF more power, we wouldn't have to think about it. It's only because there are two good points that it's even an issue. By debating it this way, we can decide for ourselves which is the stronger argument, and then realize that we are powerless to do anything about it UNLESS WE GET OUT AND VOTE.

Tom
Old 08-03-2006, 01:12 PM   #10
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlainWhiteBasicBlue
Excuse me - but where in the bloody blue hell are you getting that from? In a time of war, which we are presently in, I believe the President should have the authority to do what he feels is necessary to safeguard our country and continue his efforts in the fight against terrorism instead of waiting for all of the political mumbo jumbo to die down long enough for both parties to come together and make a sound decision that is best for our country. Both parties are equally guilty of that behavior

Quote:
Despite the president's new powers, the role of Congress and the Supreme Court has not been overlooked. Under the new law, both enjoy the newly broadened ability to grant the president the authority to increase his presidential powers.

"This gives the president the tools he needs to ensure that the president has all the necessary tools to expedite what needs to be done, unfettered by presidential restrictions on himself," said Rep. John Cornyn (R-TX). "It's long overdue."
I support democracy for the most part, but I also believe that the President of this country should also have the authority to make IMMEDIATE decisions on issues he feels require immediate action.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote