Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 09-29-2012, 08:58 AM   #21
Goldsteel86
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 16432
Default Re: Larry Foote Says Players Donít Trust LeBeau

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
mike tomlin is the head coach.
Exactly, very true, and if I am not mistaken Tomlin is a defensive coach as he was with Tampa Bay before he came to the Steelers. He fired the Special Teams coach mid-way through the post season, if he thought LeBeau couldn't handle his duties and wasn't effective why wouldn't he (The Head Coach) take over the defensive play calling? Is it maybe because he is holding his players accountable?
Goldsteel86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 10:15 AM   #22
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,124 Times in 2,631 Posts

oh, and foote didnt throw lebeau under the bus. he's stepping up as a leader and diagnosing part of the problem- that some players need to stay in line and simply do their jobs... trust the position theyre put in and not try to put themselves in the position they think they should be in (like many madden 13 coaches/fans think they can do).
Old 09-29-2012, 11:01 AM   #23
Fire Haley
Banned

Member Number: 763
Thanked 1,098 Times in 768 Posts

You can’t call the same plays you would for your stars and starters when average Joes are on the field and expect to get the results

the problem is our new starters on defense are average schmoes now
Fire Haley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 03:43 PM   #24
FrancoLambert
Head Coach

Member Number: 20827
Thanked 1,496 Times in 781 Posts
My Mood: Breezy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer View Post
You canít call the same plays you would for your stars and starters when average Joes are on the field and expect to get the results

the problem is our new starters on defense are average schmoes now
But I thought the standard is the standard.
FrancoLambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 07:45 PM   #25
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair QB
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 9,335 Times in 3,986 Posts
My Mood: Amused

LeBeau has trust in system

By F. Dale Lolley, Staff writer dlolley@observer-reporter.com

PITTSBURGH Ė The statistics show the Steelers defense is ranked seventh in the NFL and is one of only seven teams not allowing more than 300 yards per game.

But statistics can lie.

The most important ones, points allowed and wins, tell the true story of what Pittsburghís defense has done it its first three games.

Despite its ranking in yards against, the Steelers have given up 75 points. That has added up to a 1-2 start Ė including a 34-31 loss last weekend at Oakland Ė and perplexed defensive coordinator Dick Le-Beau.

ďThe big problem for us has been big plays,Ē said Le-Beau. ďIn both of our losses, we gave up two big plays. We canít have those. It doesnít matter who is out there. We canít have that happen. We didnít get off the field in the second half at Oakland. They got too many cracks, and they got the football in there. We have to tighten down and get off the field. In both second halves in the games we lost, we werenít very good. We have to be able to finish those football games. If our offense puts up 31 points, that should be good enough to win the game. We got some work to do.Ē

In their two losses, both on the road, the Steelers have shut down Denver and Oakland in the first half, only to watch them march up and down the field in the second half to pull out wins. In nine opposing second half drives on the road, the Steelers have given up points eight times and havenít forced a punt.

In their only victory, a 27-10 win over the Jets at Heinz Field, the Steelers held New York scoreless in the second half.

ďThatís something we have to address,Ē LeBeau said. ďStatistically, itís right there. We finished the Jets game. Thatís our only win. If we finished the other two games, we would probably have three wins. We are all aware of the problems, and we are working on the corrections.Ē

One of the issues has been some players trying to do too much when things start going downhill. Instead of simply playing the defense as called and trusting teammates to do their job, they try to make every tackle.

ďIf a team is moving the ball just a little bit, they want to do a little bit more to stop them,Ē LeBeau said. ďThatís a good problem to have. But it is a problem nonetheless. We canít do that. We have to trust the defense, trust the teammate, focus and play.Ē

What LeBeau hasnít lost trust in is his players or defensive scheme, which has finished first in the NFL in total defense in each of the past two seasons.

This, despite that fact that some of the Raiders said following their victory that the Pittsburgh defense was too predictable.

ďI always look to myself first, and I hope they do, too,Ē LeBeau said. ďWhen things arenít where you want them to be, something has to be done differently. We are working on that. I believe in these guys, and I believe in what we are doing. When people are making more plays than us, it looks like they have us figured out. When they arenít, it looks like they didnít figure us out. It comes down to how we play and how we execute. The coach is involved in this, too. I have to give them things they can execute.Ē

Something that could help will be the return of All-Pro strong safety Troy Polamalu when the Steelers come out of their bye week. Polamalu has missed the past two games with a calf strain, but practiced Tuesday and Wednesday and appears to be on track to play Oct. 7 against Philadelphia.

Linebacker James Harrison, another All-Pro, also could return after sitting out the first three games following an August knee surgery. Harrison practiced Tuesday, but sat out Wednesday. He remains optimistic he will be back soon.

The return of both of those players would be a boost for the struggling defense.

ďWe were just the No. 1 defense in the league last year,Ē said linebacker Larry Foote. ďAnd this year, weíre seventh. I donít know how thatís happened, but weíre right where we need to be (statistically). If we go out and win five games in a row and shut some of those teams out, weíll be right back where we usually are.Ē

Odds and end zones

The Steelers will not return to practice until Monday. ... After the bye, the Steelers play three of their next five games against teams from the NFC East.

http://www.observer-reporter.com/or/...teelers-lebeau
Old 09-30-2012, 06:33 AM   #26
Steeldude
Living Legend

Where in the article does it say Foote does not trust Lebeau?

Quote:
You canít call the same plays you would for your stars and starters when average Joes are on the field and expect to get the results
Lebeau doesn't call the same plays when Polamalu is out. That's one of the problems.
Old 09-30-2012, 10:54 AM   #27
lipps83
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 17725

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edman View Post
Casey is starting because the coaches probably feel at this point he would do better then McClendon.

I know, just as they thought Aaron Smith Last Season would do better than Ziggy Hood even though he hasn't played a full down in years.

An Aging Lineman coming off of ACL surgery is doing better than a guy who came into the season with a full head of steam.

It's a comedy the Steelers Coaching Staff is putting on now.
Yes, this is something that really bothers me. All through preseason the coaches rave about how great McLendon is doing, and he looks impressive in the preseason.

Regular season starts, the guy is nowhere to be found. Instead we have a kneeless Hampton three times removed from having real ACL tissue in his knees, getting pushed around in the regular season.

Let the young guys play, coach. I am tired of your unwillingness to let the future of this team barely even get any reps.
lipps83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 10:58 AM   #28
lipps83
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 17725

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii 5-0 View Post
LeBeau has trust in system

blah, blah, blah

ďWe are all aware of the problems, and we are working on the corrections.Ē
Are you really? Are you sure this isn't just your cookie-cutter answer to the media?

Prove it.

Let this defense play how we know they can play.

You can blitz more than 2 times a half. You don't always have to drop 8 into coverage and still get blown up in the passing game.
lipps83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 01:29 PM   #29
Edman
Living Legend

Member Number: 3261
My Mood: Brooding

We drafted these linemen and kept them around for the future. We let go of Hines, Farrior and Smith because their time was up. 2012 is supposedly a transition year, but we're still stuck in the 2000's. Stop the bullshit and start transitioning.

You know what happens to teams to hold onto veterans for too long and no eye for the future? You get a shut window and many bad years to come. The Steelers were too stubborn to say goodbye to a couple guys in the 80's and it resulted in a lost decade. The Raiders did the same crap in the early 2000's and it bit them in the ass big time.

The future is now, or this team will have no future.
Edman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 01:46 PM   #30
steelersforever58
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 24184

Quote:
Originally Posted by lipps83 View Post
Are you really? Are you sure this isn't just your cookie-cutter answer to the media?

Prove it.

Let this defense play how we know they can play.

You can blitz more than 2 times a half. You don't always have to drop 8 into coverage and still get blown up in the passing game.
I don't know if it is a lack of confidence in the dbs or what. But I agree, i would like to see more all out blitzing. This d is definately not aggressive enough for my taste, and hasn't been for years.
steelersforever58 is offline   Reply With Quote