Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 10-03-2012, 12:38 PM   #61
defence
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 19128
Default Re: Larry Foote Says Players Donít Trust LeBeau

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanSince72 View Post
It's interesting that you would quote wins and losses in defense of LeBeau.

The reason I say that is because when we had another coordinator who won 55 regular-season games, 5 post-season games, posted five straight winning seasons, went to 2 Super Bowls and won 1 of them, YOU were leading the charge to have him hanged in Market Square.

It's ironic that LeBeau can be defended based upon "W's" while Arians - with even more "W's" in a career that was four years shorter than LeBeau's gets run out of town on a rail.

Fascinating.

But hey, what do I know right?

Bingo!!!
defence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 03:16 PM   #62
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 9,574 Times in 3,988 Posts

Quote:
It's ironic that LeBeau can be defended based upon "W's" while Arians - with even more "W's" in a career that was four years shorter than LeBeau's gets run out of town on a rail.
so now arians has accumulated more wins as the steelers coordinator than dick lebeau has? lmao!

how is that even possible?

oh, thats right....

it was arians who led his team to a 15-1 record with a rookie qb (i guess we can expect arians to do it again this year with andrew luck).

it was arians who became the first wild card team to win 4 games on the road (including the superbowl) while knocking off the top 4 statistically ranked defenses in the league.

it is arians that has been coaching for 40 years and is in the HOF.

it is arians who has consistantly lead the league (or atleast been top 5 for all major statistical categories for his unit such as yards gained and points scored.)

it is LEBEAU who road his coat tails lingering around with a ranking of "top 25" for points allowed and yards against.

got it! but in the alternate reality that everybody else lives in, it was arians who was pushed out the door, paying immediate dividends of greater time of possession, more yards, more points, less sacks and a qb off to his best career start.

all my "opinion" of course.
Old 10-03-2012, 03:24 PM   #63
tony hipchest

lebeau is still coaching (not mailing it in or half assing it) because he loves teaching, is one of the best in the business in it, and considers it fun.

Quote:
Phillip B Wilson‏@pwilson24
#Colts Arians says he probably would get out of coaching if he couldn't call plays. "That's all the fun," he said.
arians didnt teach anyone shit, and pouts when told he's gonna have to let ben run some more no-huddle.
Old 10-03-2012, 03:39 PM   #64
Steelersfan87
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 18585

When the offense is consistently in the bottom half in scoring offense and the defense is consistently in the top 5 in scoring defense, it's reasonable to say that the defensive coordinator did more to win games than the offensive coordinator did...
Steelersfan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 04:27 PM   #65
FanSince72
Team Owner

Member Number: 17502
Thanked 1,511 Times in 671 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodens Grav View Post
When the offense is consistently in the bottom half in scoring offense and the defense is consistently in the top 5 in scoring defense, it's reasonable to say that the defensive coordinator did more to win games than the offensive coordinator did...
See, this is why I don't put any stock in statistics because all of the gaudy numbers in the world don't amount to a hill of beans when we can't get a team off the field when we have to.

And that's exactly what the problem is.

We are a great first-half team and that's probably where most of those numbers come from.

But in the second-half of a game (when it really counts because the other team has made their adjustments), our statistically NUMBER ONE DEFENSE couldn't stop an asthma attack. We're consistently outplayed by even mediocre offenses and we allow way too many teams to stick around way too long and that's been costing us more and more over the last few years.

I know that some players are getting old, but it's not the entire defensive squad, so there must be some other reason why we can't seem to end a game without a bunch of unnecessary drama - and that points squarely towards the coaching.
FanSince72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 04:37 PM   #66
FrancoLambert
Team President

Member Number: 20827
Thanked 1,735 Times in 903 Posts
My Mood: Amazed

Some criticism of LeBeau's scheme is justified. (ie. press coverage over cushion)
But to state that Arians's career as Steeler OC contributed more to the success of this team than LeBeau's role as DC is absolutely ridiculous.
I don't care how many W's / L's are involved and attributed to either.
Taken as a whole, DL's career was a blessing for this team.
Can you say the same for BA?
C'mon, you know the answer, that's an easy one.
FrancoLambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 05:12 PM   #67
SteelHaven
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 17811

Lebeau had a great career and I don't believe anyone is criticizing what he has done and nor should they. He will be remembered as one of the best in the game (and for the Steelers). But no matter how great a coach, sometimes when someone is in there too long, its too long. Things get stale and guys stop listening. 75 years is too old to be coaching for anyone's health no matter how good they are in my opinion
SteelHaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 06:07 PM   #68
tony hipchest

Quote:
...that's been costing us more and more over the last few years.
meanwhile, in the land of reality, all the steelers have been doing for the last few years is winning divisions, going 12-4 and going to superbowls.

i guess it was arians offense that held opponents to an average of 10 points a game, last year at home.

i guess it was arians offense driven by charlie batch that gave the team a 3-1 start during bens suspension prior to our sb run the year before...

its funny how arians could live up to some peoples standards of offensive mediocrity, but lebeau cant live up to the same peoples standards of defensive perfection.

even the 70's steelers had a dynamic and powerful offense.
Old 10-03-2012, 08:34 PM   #69
Edman
Living Legend

Member Number: 3261
My Mood: Brooding

Arians Offenses were not big contributing factors to our SB runs. Our Offense was putrid in 2008 and mediocre in 2010. Defense was the driving factor for our wins and SB appearances. We knew damn well our Offense wasn't going to win games.

It's not really the case anymore. This time our Offense is doing it's fair share, but now the Defense has turned into a seive. 31 points is more than enough to win many games in the NFL, but here comes our Defense surrendering 34 and blowing not one, but TWO 10-point leads the Offense has given them against Oakland. A Mediocre Defensive performance wins the game in Oakland, but the D decided to be AWFUL that day.

The Steelers finally have a solid offense that can score, but now the Defense has dropped off a cliff. When you have a Defense that sucks, the Offense has be to top-tier (Patriots, Packers), and while ours is much improved, it's nowhere near top of the line.

Good Offense and Awful Defense equates to a lot of losses.
Edman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:43 PM   #70
tony hipchest

so there you have it folks...

one loss to the raiders and our defense has gone from one of the best to

" awful"

"for a few years now"

never mind that our last 3 road games were tough trips in tough stadium w/o guys like polamalu, clark, farrior, smith, hampton, keisel AKA our defensive stallwarts.