Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

 Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football


Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2006, 03:02 PM   #1
Livinginthe past
Living Legend
 
Livinginthe past's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Crushing the AFCE...annually
Posts: 7,520
Member Number: 478
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default SI : Clutchest of the Clutch

A little light reading, along with some nice photos - Standard Issue for Sports Illustrated.

Plenty of debate on this one, I think.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/mul...content.1.html

Bradshaw could be higher than 10, but then a QB with more 4th quarter comebacks is more clutch, or does it matter more that he won all them SB's?

Can't disagree with many of the placements myself and all 10 are worthy.

NM
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 03:43 PM   #2
PisnNapalm
Team Owner
Supporter
 
PisnNapalm's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Spring City, PA
Posts: 2,776
Member Number: 1225
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: SI : Clutchest of the Clutch

I'd think Bradshaw could be a couple palces higher, but all 10 are worthy of the list.
__________________
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." -Thomas Jefferson
Μολὼν λάβε
PisnNapalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 04:24 PM   #3
RoethlisBURGHer
Living Legend
Supporter
 
RoethlisBURGHer's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Clowns Town,Ohio
Posts: 5,941
Member Number: 370
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: SI : Clutchest of the Clutch

Good list,I hope one day we will see Ben on that list.

I doubt we'll ever see Peyton Manning on that list,lol.
__________________

Congrats to the 2009 Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins
RoethlisBURGHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 05:14 PM   #4
Black@Gold Forever32
Banned
Supporter
 

Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Michigan City, IN
Posts: 3,253
Gender: Male
Member Number: 2290
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: SI : Clutchest of the Clutch

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoethlisBURGHer
Good list,I hope one day we will see Ben on that list.

I doubt we'll ever see Peyton Manning on that list,lol.
Don't let Colts fans see you write that. God I can't them. I work with a bunch of crazy Colts fans. Its a Peyton Manning love fest all day at work. It drives me nuts.
Black@Gold Forever32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 06:35 PM   #5
LambertIsGod58
Team President
 
LambertIsGod58's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Bridgeport, NY
Posts: 2,421
Gender: Male
Member Number: 410
Thanks: 29
Thanked 55 Times in 25 Posts
Default Re: SI : Clutchest of the Clutch

I think Bradshaw rates higher than a few or more of those guys...It doesn't get anymore clutch doing it in the big games (IE SB IX, X, XIII & XIV) Marino, Elway, Brady & Namath belong ahead....That's about it.
__________________


"Life is a journey and you never arrive" Chuck Noll 1969-91
LambertIsGod58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 06:54 PM   #6
hardwork
Banned
 

Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Boston
Posts: 1,467
Member Number: 342
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: SI : Clutchest of the Clutch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinginthe past
A little light reading, along with some nice photos - Standard Issue for Sports Illustrated.

Plenty of debate on this one, I think.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/mul...content.1.html

Bradshaw could be higher than 10, but then a QB with more 4th quarter comebacks is more clutch, or does it matter more that he won all them SB's?

Can't disagree with many of the placements myself and all 10 are worthy.

NM


You certainly can't quibble with Montana at number 1. Unitas earned the number 2 position without a doubt. I do think that Brady should be over Elway though. Would the Broncos have won more SBs if Brady had been there as long as Elway was? I kinda think they would have. Elway couldn't get the SB until they had a superior running game. Brady has won two with just run of the mill backs. Only when Dillon showed up did Brady have a superior running game. That says to me that Brady has more clutch in him then Elway.

Last edited by hardwork; 08-03-2006 at 06:59 PM.
hardwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 11:24 PM   #7
Livinginthe past
Living Legend
 
Livinginthe past's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Crushing the AFCE...annually
Posts: 7,520
Member Number: 478
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Re: SI : Clutchest of the Clutch

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwork
You certainly can't quibble with Montana at number 1. Unitas earned the number 2 position without a doubt. I do think that Brady should be over Elway though. Would the Broncos have won more SBs if Brady had been there as long as Elway was? I kinda think they would have. Elway couldn't get the SB until they had a superior running game. Brady has won two with just run of the mill backs. Only when Dillon showed up did Brady have a superior running game. That says to me that Brady has more clutch in him then Elway.
I think Elways consistency in regular season 4th quarter comebacks has given him the edge here.

Also, I notice that players that are retired are always looked at a little more fondly than ones who are currently playing.

Brady has plenty of time left to get to a few more big games - 10-1 in the playoffs is a fantastic effort - hopefully it will be 13-1 after this season.

NM
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 01:11 AM   #8
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter
 
MasterOfPuppets's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 14,240
Gender: Male
Member Number: 1990
Thanks: 908
Thanked 3,892 Times in 1,654 Posts
Default Re: SI : Clutchest of the Clutch

i don't know if marino is deserving of this list. sure he was a great qb and owns almost every record, but clutch in the playoffs is as clutch as clutch gets and marino could be considered a playoff choke like manning. i say drop dan and add roger stabauch. after all he was nick named captain comeback.


Staubach was one of the most exciting NFL players of the 1970's. Known as "Roger The Dodger" for his scrambling abilities, and also as "Captain Comeback" for his many fourth quarter heroics, Staubach had a penchant for leading scoring drives which would lead the Cowboys to improbable victories. He led his team to twenty-three come-from-behind victories in the fourth quarter, with 17 of these coming in the last two minutes.
__________________
“If tyranny and oppression come to this land it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy.” ― James Madison

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 01:55 AM   #9
hardwork
Banned
 

Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Boston
Posts: 1,467
Member Number: 342
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: SI : Clutchest of the Clutch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinginthe past
I think Elways consistency in regular season 4th quarter comebacks has given him the edge here.

Also, I notice that players that are retired are always looked at a little more fondly than ones who are currently playing.

Brady has plenty of time left to get to a few more big games - 10-1 in the playoffs is a fantastic effort - hopefully it will be 13-1 after this season.

NM

Elway did make a lot of regular season comebacks. Can't dispute that.

Say, did you notice Namath's picture? His eyes look like headlights.
hardwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 05:19 PM   #10
3 to be 4
Team Owner
 

Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: a delightful Kansas City Suburb
Posts: 2,642
Gender: Male
Member Number: 992
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: SI : Clutchest of the Clutch

Quote:
Originally Posted by LambertIsGod58
I think Bradshaw rates higher than a few or more of those guys...It doesn't get anymore clutch doing it in the big games (IE SB IX, X, XIII & XIV) Marino, Elway, Brady & Namath belong ahead....That's about it.
How can Marino be ahead of Bradshaw and Staubach?!?!? Even Namath, he did it one game! one year! i would have it
Montana
Unitas
Starr
Elway
Bradshaw
Brady
Staubach
Aikman

and then go from there
3 to be 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:24 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Shoutbox provided by vBShout v6.2.1 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.0.8 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Navbar with Avatar by Motorradforum
no new posts