Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 09-30-2012, 05:50 PM   #1
JVip
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 24397
My Mood: Psychedelic
Default Personnel for a 4-3?

I am going to preface this with saying that I love our 3-4 D, and that I think it can still be effective, but we currently don't have the personnel for it to function properly. I am not on the fire Lebeau band-wagon, although sometimes he doesn't make on the fly adjustments like I wish he would. Having said that I believe this will be his final year with the team.

Curious what the thought would be on the Steelers using or temporarily switching to a 4-3. The guys we have on the d-line would be better suited for it. A D-line with Heyward, Kiesel, Mclendon & Hood Could be very effective. Hood along with Heyward, and possibly Mclendon would be better suited for the 3 technique, they should be attaching, not filling gaps. I also wonder if Woodley could get rotated into that d-line.

The next issue is at the LB position. we have no depth at this position, if we temporarily switch to a 4-3 it would help with our depth situation. So how would this work? Could we switch it around like so: Foote, Woodley, Timmons as the Backers? I understand that this isn't something that could be done overnight, but could we possibly see this as a sub-package for the D, like the 4-2-5 they used a few times?

We haven't drafted very well the past few yrs at the LB position and this worries me because that's what makes our defense tick. I do like the Spence pick, and I thought he could be something special, bizzaro world Timmons if you would. It looks like the LB position is a worry for now, and the future. Especially with Harrisons health, Footes age and Timmons being average at best.

I am also curious what the difference is between our D and the Cardinals D, more specifically how they play their Corners. Do they always give an 8 yard cushion like we consistently do? Is there any difference in scheme at all between the Cards and Steelers when it comes to defense? Maybe it was all Tomlins master plan when he took over, eventhough Butler is heir apparent.
JVip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 07:23 PM   #2
pete74
Super Moderator
Supporter

Member Number: 15921
Default Re: Personnel for a 4-3?

i agree and i would love to see us switch since everyone seems to be running the 3-4 nowdays but it wont happen till DL retires
Old 09-30-2012, 07:42 PM   #3
Curtain_of_Steel
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 11678
My Mood: Amazed

Everyone is not running at 4-3 def.

Steelers do not have the personell to run a 4-3, they would have to spend big to get it, and thats not happening, we cant get pressure not from these guys and you want to change them up to 4 new mind set positions? They have zero depth at LB thus our problems, no CBs at all, thus our problems and a safety that is hurt.
Curtain_of_Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 10:19 PM   #4
defence
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 19128

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtain_of_Steel View Post
Everyone is not running at 4-3 def.

Steelers do not have the personell to run a 4-3, they would have to spend big to get it, and thats not happening, we cant get pressure not from these guys and you want to change them up to 4 new mind set positions? They have zero depth at LB thus our problems, no CBs at all, thus our problems and a safety that is hurt.
Sorry curtain; I totally disagree. The change won't happen this year; but it can happen for next year. As for spending big; they will be getting rid of a ton of salary and can pick up a lineman or two. ziggy is better suited for a 4 3 as is Timmons. Is it a surprise that both were 1st rounders. And you said it yourself. we have zero depth at lb and in my opinion we don't have much left there due to poor drafting. In order to run a good 3 4; the life of your d is the linebackers and right now; that is not a strong point for the Steelers. It can happen; not this year; but it can definately when Lebau is gone.
defence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 10:57 PM   #5
OX1947
Living Legend

Member Number: 723
Thanked 1,286 Times in 650 Posts

Heyward and Hood are 4-3 D-Linemen. Timmons was an outside rusher when drafted. Steelers may have finally hit a wall with draft picks into this system. Colbert has been a freakin genius with 1st rounders too.
OX1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 11:19 PM   #6
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 11,082 Times in 4,584 Posts

can someopne please explain some peoples affinity for the 4-3 defense?

the colts defense is switching to a 3-4 defense this year.

you mean they had it right all those years when they went to the superbowl and lost another and STILL got their asses kicked by the patriots on a regular basis?

i laugh at all the steelerfans that quote brady having the 3-4 figured out as a legitimate reason to switch.
Old 09-30-2012, 11:52 PM   #7
tony hipchest
Supporter

my answer to another fan must be considered by those proposing we make a switch next season-

that means hood and heyward put on 10 lbs and transition to DT (easier for hood).

get rid of harrison and hampton and keisel.

woodley transitions to a dwight freeney type DE. Timmons moves to weak side ILB.

that means we are looking for another DE, MLB and strong side linebacker in next years draft and FA.

thats quite a tall order considering we may need some safety and CB help as well (along with possible replacements for mendenhall and wallace).

might need to get rid of alameda and some zone cb's as well.

to make a long story short, the steelers simply arent making a switch next season. its not as simple as it may be playing madden or changing an entire philosophy before next years fantasy football draft.

i wish people would quit entertaining the idea and bringing it up on the reg as if it deserves sirius consideration.

only 1-15, 2-14 with years of sucking teams do shit like that.
Old 10-01-2012, 12:00 AM   #8
JVip
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 24397
My Mood: Psychedelic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
can someopne please explain some peoples affinity for the 4-3 defense?

the colts defense is switching to a 3-4 defense this year.

you mean they had it right all those years when they went to the superbowl and lost another and STILL got their asses kicked by the patriots on a regular basis?

i laugh at all the steelerfans that quote brady having the 3-4 figured out as a legitimate reason to switch.

Brady does have it figured out, dink-n-dunk to the endzone. That is no reason to switch to a 4-3, but I do think it's a good reason to have the personnel to play man-man.

I personally want to keep it as a 3-4, but our talent is currently not suited for it, and the young guys we do have are better suited for a 4-3 scheme.

Do you think it would be accurate to say that Hood, Heyward and Timmons would be better a better fit for a 4-3?

They are the youth in the front 7, hopefully they can be coached up to fit our scheme better soon.

Now a question for you Tony.
Is there any difference between the Cardinals scheme and ours? Basically as stated in the op.
JVip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 01:00 AM   #9
tony hipchest
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVip View Post

Now a question for you Tony.
Is there any difference between the Cardinals scheme and ours? Basically as stated in the op.
is this a rhetorical question?

our former OC is their HC. our former secondary coach is their DC. our former CB is now their secondary coach and our latest CB to leave is now their starting CB.

up until game one of this season, their starting OLB's were our 05 SB starters.

i dont even watch all their games though, let alone rewatch or study their game film.

there are some differences in personnel though. kerry rhodes and adrian wilson havent missed a start. their #1 pick from last year patrick peterson is about as dynamic as they come. they definitely have some studs playing in their front 7.

Quote:
A D-line with Heyward, Kiesel, Mclendon & Hood Could be very effective
can you name a single team that has four 300+ lb guys starting on the DL? are you suggesting the way every other team in the NFL has been running it for years is wrong, and that your way could be very effective?

you do know that a majority of our OLB's were former DE's in college, right?

teh transition you suggest just isnt that easy. i wish people would quit making line up changes on paper and thinking its as simple as baseball.
Old 10-01-2012, 01:57 AM   #10
Steeldude
Living Legend

If the Steelers switch to a 4-3(next year) they would have the 4 DL.

DE - Heyward

DT - Hood

DT - Mclendon

DE - Woodley

LBs would be a different story.

Harrison, if healthy, would stay at OLB. Timmons could play either MLB or OLB. If Spence heals he could play MLB, I suppose