Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 10-04-2012, 10:33 AM   #21
Bayz101
Renegade
Supporter

Member Number: 18856
Thanked 5,051 Times in 2,140 Posts
My Mood: Cheerful
Default Re: presidential debate

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
it wasnt a good show (especially with the smirks). it looked like he was reading tweets from the new @FiredBigBird account.
Did you follow Big Bird yet? I'll be disappointed if that's a no.

"Either you're playing dumb, or it's not an act". -Judge Judy

No need to drive me crazy. I can walk from here.
Bayz101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:47 AM   #22
Fire Haley
Banned

Member Number: 763
Thanked 1,098 Times in 768 Posts

butt hurt?

ha ha

Fire Haley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:51 AM   #23
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 11,077 Times in 4,581 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer View Post
Huffington Post headline:

“Romney Wins The Night”

BWAhahahaha
Got Gatorade?

[YOUTUBE]rWSbtjl3PLw[/YOUTUBE]
Old 10-04-2012, 10:57 AM   #24
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Member Number: 16666
Thanked 2,474 Times in 1,147 Posts
My Mood: Cheerful

Meh, I wasn't impressed with either.

Romney looked like he was more prepared for the questions, that's about it. Neither has a solid plan to reduce gov't spending or lower the deficit in the near future.

The bad news from last night's debate affects those of us who suit up for neither Team Red or Team Blue and the 60 percent majority who feel government is already trying to do too much. Debate moderator Jim Lehrer constantly drew attention to the notion that Obama and Romney were in fundamental disagreement over the size, scope, and function of government. That they had radically different visions for the United States when it came to the issues under discussion. The candidates gamely obliged, saying yes to each invocation of hard-core splits.

But such claims were nowhere to be found in what the candidates were actually talking about. To be sure, Obama played the role of traditional liberal. He stressed a need to balance respect for free enterprise and freedom (the "genius" of America, he declared at one point) with a muscular vision of a large government that helped people out every day and in every way (he unconvincingly linked this vision to Abraham Lincoln's support for land-grant colleges during the Civil War). He openly embraced the phrase Obamacare to describe his signature legislative accomplishment from his first (only?) term in office. He defended Dodd-Frank financial regulations not so much on the grounds that it was good policy but that the only possible alternative was zero regulation. He talked about adding even more teachers (ostensibly paid for from the federal till) and never touching the old-age entitlements (Medicare, Social Security, and the large chunk of Medicaid that goes to seniors) that are bankrupting the country.

Romney pointed to all this and defined himself as having a boldly different vision, one that...supported the private sector and individual initiative and achievement and...a virtually indistinguishablly big government.

When it came to all the major spending elements in the federal budget, Romney is far, far more like Obama than he is different. When it comes to Medicare, his vision of "premium support" or vouchers with which seniors would buy care is so far off in the distance that it might as well not exist at all. Since 1975, Medicare spending per enrollee in real dollars has doubled even as the numbers of enrollees doubled. That's not in spite of reform efforts - it's because of them. The system is the problem.

Romney stressed that nobody anywhere near the age of 65 had anything to worry about, that things wouldn't change for them. Which is another way of saying that we will keep kicking the can down the road until there is no more road (and then we'll keep kicking it anyway). He stressed that he wasn't going to cut education funding. That we needed to keep plowing more dollars into defense spending (without mentioning the 70-percent-plus increase in real funding to the military over the last dozen years). That he wasn't going to repeal and replace "all" of Obamacare. His praise of his signature state-level health-care reform in Massachusetts is troubling, to say the least, given that state's massively expensive health care spending. That while Dodd-Frank was bad (and it is) he wasn't going to do away with all regulation. That he's going to help "small businesses," help kids go to college, and on and on.

In his campaign literature, Romney stresses that he will bring government spending - the single most-meaningful proxy for the size and scope of government - down to 20 percent of GDP "by the end of his first term" (Obama in contrast would spend over 22 percent). Let's leave aside some inconvenient facts for the current moment. Such as that Romney has never credibly indicated how he will accomplish that, especially given his repeated commitments to fully funding Medicare, Social Security, and defense spending at current or higher levels. Or that the Republican budget plan authored by his running mate Paul Ryan and passed by the House earlier this year forecasts federal revenues over the next decade as averaging just 18 percent of GDP, thereby guaranteeing 10 more years of deficits.

The plain fact is that even at 20 percent that level of government is far too much for us to afford. Since 1945, the federal government has managed to raise revenue equal to more than 20 percent of GDP precisely once - in 2000 - and that was in a year where the feds spent the equivalent of 18.2 percent of GDP (did we go hungry or unclothed or uneducated in 2000?). And that's assuming that Romney is actually able to deliver on numbers.

http://reason.com/archives/2012/10/0...will-the-count
Old 10-04-2012, 11:17 AM   #25
Fire Haley
Banned

landslide

Romney Won First Debate, 67 Percent of Voters Say in CNN Poll

Oct. 3 -- Republican Mitt Romney won tonight’s first presidential debate with President Barack Obama, according to a CNN/ORC International poll of registered voters who watched the nationally televised event.

Sixty-seven percent of those surveyed said Romney fared better, compared with 25 percent for Obama, according to results aired on CNN after the match concluded.

Forty-six percent said they found Romney more likeable, compared with 45 percent for Obama, CNN reported.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/business/bloom...#ixzz28LMypz5i
Old 10-04-2012, 11:31 AM   #26
Fire Haley
Banned

off the deep end

Gore blames Obama debate performance on Denver's altitude

Former Vice President Al Gore floated an interesting theory for President Obama's widely panned debate performance: Denver's thin air.

"Obama arrived in Denver at 2 PM today — Just a few hours before the debate started," Gore said Wednesday on his Current TV network.

"Romney did his debate prep in Denver. When you go to 5,000 feet and you only have a few hours to adjust -- I don't know," Gore said.

http://www.politico.com/politico44/2...503.html?hp=r1

-------------------------

BWAhahahaha
Old 10-04-2012, 12:14 PM   #27
Fire Haley
Banned

the hits keep on coming

Was this Obama's Jimmy Carter moment? President's woeful debate compared to 1980 TV disaster that handed Reagan victory

Barack Obama has been savaged over his performance in last night's presidential debate, with one commentator even suggesting that he was less effective than the hapless Jimmy Carter.

Even those who have been the President's most enthusiastic cheerleaders in the past lined up to denounce the evening as a 'disaster' for Mr Obama, and worried that Mitt Romney's resounding win would allow him to turn around his struggling campaign.

Prominent Obama fans denounced the President as 'off his game', saying the debate was 'a disaster' for the Democrats - and one even said, 'I don't know what he was doing out there.'

But perhaps the most stinging blow came from the Right, with one conservative commentator quipping: 'Not since Jimmy Carter faced Ronald Reagan has the U.S. presidency been so embarrassingly represented in public. Actually, that’s an insult to Jimmy Carter.'

Mr Romney was on the offensive during the debate in Denver, shining in what was arguably the most high-profile moment of his political career so far. 'This was a disaster for the President for the key people he needs to reach, and his effete, wonkish lectures may have jolted a lot of independents into giving Romney a second look.

'Obama looked tired, even bored; he kept looking down; he had no crisp statements of passion or argument; he wasn't there.' In a crushing verdict on the President's 'terrible' performance, Mr Sullivan concluded: 'He choked. He lost. He may even have lost the election tonight.'....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...%2BIn%2BDenver

--------------------

the bottom line

Obama fell flat on his face without his teleprompter

{crickets}
Old 10-04-2012, 12:20 PM   #28
ricardisimo
Administrator

Member Number: 15369

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEPatriots View Post
I hate them both.
Been voting for the lesser of two evils my entire adult life.

Never again.
Thank you. More power to you. I'm trying to talk everyone I know into not voting at all. For years I tried registering people into third parties, but that's just a non-starter in this culture. Sadly I will be voting this year, but certainly not for these bozos.

I'm not quite sure what these two were supposed to "debate"... who sucks bigger dicks? Didn't watch, and glad for it.
Old 10-04-2012, 12:21 PM   #29
Fire Haley
Banned

hahahaha

twitter time

-Obama will blame an anti-Mormon YouTube video for tonight's debate slaughter
-Quick, someone get a teleprompter! MAN DOWN! MAN DOWN!
-It's difficult to rehearse for a debate while you're on the back nine. I need a new caddy.
-Thought I could wing it... just like I did the past 4 yrs.
-My dog ate my notes. Then I ate my dog.
-How can I be expected to frame a proper Straw-man argument when my opponent is in the same room?
-I Got 99 Reasons and as soon as they give my teleprompter back, I'll tell you.
-I was trying deliver my speech, but this guy kept contradicting me with a lot facts. Numbers too. What was that about
-The MARIJUANA here in DENVER is much more potent than me & the CHOOM GANG bargained for!
-"Its those damn job-killing ATMs fault"
-An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake. A terrible flood. Locusts!
Old 10-04-2012, 12:32 PM   #30
Vincent
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 10927

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer View Post
The beard thing...

Is this a picture of a loving couple on their 20th anniversary? Maybe a muslim couple.

"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress & the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution,
but overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution."

Abraham Lincoln
Vincent is offline   Reply With Quote