Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 08-04-2006, 07:37 AM   #11
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009
Default Re: CJ 85 and his "list"

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelcity984
You would love this if he played for the Steelers. The truth is he is a great player with over the top celebrations. But still great nonetheless.
Count me out.

Here's a refresher: http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_412642.html

I'll stick with Ward, Wilson, Reid, Washington, Morgan and Holmes.

Last edited by 83-Steelers-43; 08-04-2006 at 07:58 AM.
83-Steelers-43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 07:57 AM   #12
BlackNGold203
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 1217

Quote:
Originally Posted by HometownGal
Speaking for myself, no - I wouldn't want him wearing the black and gold. He is an above-average WR but I would not put him in the "great" category. The Steelers save their celebrations for the end of the game and the locker room, as teams with class do. They don't need to grandstand themselves on the field.
i agree Gal....above average-very good...not great or elite....

the celebrations and the halftime meltdown are proof that he doesnt have the mental toughness or focus to be "elite"...let alone a champion...

His antics would not fly in Pittsburgh....
Old 08-04-2006, 11:22 AM   #13
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398

Quote:
You would love this if he played for the Steelers. The truth is he is a great player with over the top celebrations. But still great nonetheless.
I wouldn't mind his skills and abilities on the team but to not be honest with yourself as a player to say that no one else shut you down. That's just absurd. What's the use of the checklist if you aren't going to use it properly!?

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
stlrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 02:54 PM   #14
Ambridge
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 604

Quote:
You would love this if he played for the Steelers.
I'll add to the pile on with an Absolutely Not-No Way-No How!!
Ambridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 06:33 PM   #15
Haiku_Dirtt
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 1645

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambridge
Chad's checklist.
That's probably because Chad cannot read in the first place and even making a simple check mark is a challenge to his literacy skills.
CJ is a fag. And his list is gay. Nothing would make me happier than seeing him punked and bitched slapped but that really doesn't matter to me either.

Take 2 wins from Cincy and soar into the postseason.
Haiku_Dirtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 09:14 PM   #16
Stlrs4Life
Tailgate Coordinator
Supporter

Member Number: 419

I wouldn't want this on the Steelers either.

It's not just Steeler Football, it's a way of Life! "I'm a Champion"
Stlrs4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 11:24 PM   #17
CantStop85
Living Legend

Member Number: 486

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackNGold203
i agree Gal....above average-very good...not great or elite....

the celebrations and the halftime meltdown are proof that he doesnt have the mental toughness or focus to be "elite"...let alone a champion...

His antics would not fly in Pittsburgh....
So if a guy who leads the AFC in receiving 2 years and counting is not elite, who exactly is? Chad may be flashy and a bit emotional at times, but that doesn't minimize what he does on the field.

Chad has fun with the game, what's so bad about that? I don't really care if he makes a list or celebrates a TD as long as he continues to produce. Criticizing Chad for his antics is like criticizing Hines Ward for smiling during games (or crying afterwards). They both love the game and express it in different ways.

As far as the supposed meltdown at halftime...CJ is a very emotional player. It's no surprise that he would get upset when Palmer goes down. Sure, it wasn't completely appropriate but it was a heat of the moment sort of thing and the only such occurrence in Chad's NFL career. Chad has never called out his teammates or coaches publicly...he's never even held out for a bigger contract (more than even Hines Ward can say).

Ike Taylor and especially Leigh Bodden have done exceptionally well at covering CJ the past couple of years...very impressive and a testament to both corners...CJ will eventually get his, but Ike and Bodden have been as good as anybody at containing him.
CantStop85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 01:03 PM   #18
HburgXL06
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 1504

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantStop85
So if a guy who leads the AFC in receiving 2 years and counting is not elite, who exactly is? Chad may be flashy and a bit emotional at times, but that doesn't minimize what he does on the field.
There's two probs wit that assessment though:

1) It's only been two years, call me back in six.

2) He doesn't act or play like a team player. It is all about him gettin the ball and him gettin the ball in the end zone. You never hear about his ability to play a blockin role or whatever to facilitate a play that does not involve him running downfield in search of a bomb.

He is essentially a mini-TO mixed together wit the antics of a side show clown at the circus. After his temper tantrum in the locker room you could add mental case to that description but we'll just be nice and assume that was just because he was bein beaten by the Steelers. But even so that lil tantrum he threw still shows his lack of team spirit and his lackin in leadership qualities. I say that because the way he acted worked more as a divisive measure in the locker room than a uniting one. Instead of pumpin up the other players to win he had to be restrained. It's a far reach to get motivation to do better when one player starts callin out other as well as coaches (which then breaks the player/coach respectfulness and all hell breaks down) on what they did wrong throughout the first half.

Quote:
Chad has fun with the game, what's so bad about that? I don't really care if he makes a list or celebrates a TD as long as he continues to produce. Criticizing Chad for his antics is like criticizing Hines Ward for smiling during games (or crying afterwards). They both love the game and express it in different ways.
Not true, again here is where the self-centeredness of Chad Johnson shines through. When Hines makes a touchdown he celebrates wit his teammates. He knows that he isn't the only one out there doin a job worth watchin. By celebratin wit other team members he doesn't separate himself from the team of give off the appearance in the slightest sense that he feels his plays are "better" than anyone elses, which thus contributes to a stronger team spirit. This is not so wit CJ. Instead it is always me, me, ME!! Chad would rather stand alone in the end zone untouched by his other teammates dancin like a chicken to celebrate a touchdown than to have to share the spotlight wit anyone else. This gives off the mindset of: "Look at me! Look at me! Look at the great play I did! Look at how great I am and good I am at dancin like a chicken!" Again his actions are more of a clown than of an "elite" wide receiever. If he is so good he would have been in the end zone enough that he wouldn't have to celebrate every touchdown the way he does. The fact that he admits to puttin work into the celebrations he does in the end zone also bodes poorly for the bengals since if Chad is havin to spend even the smallest amount of time thinkin about what he will do when he gets to the end zone he is not fully concentratin on how he can fully help the team succeed on the next play. Even that small distraction on the field durin a play can be enough to keep him from reachin his full potential in aidin the team to success in a drive. In short it equals to this: Hines Ward > Chad Johnson.

Quote:
As far as the supposed meltdown at halftime...CJ is a very emotional player. It's no surprise that he would get upset when Palmer goes down. Sure, it wasn't completely appropriate but it was a heat of the moment sort of thing and the only such occurrence in Chad's NFL career. Chad has never called out his teammates or coaches publicly...he's never even held out for a bigger contract (more than even Hines Ward can say).
Chad hasn't called out any players publically. Why? Because he is too busy talkin about himself and his performance and again how great he is. He refers to Palmer but only in the sense of how Palmer passes to him for touchdowns and celebrations. Otherwise as I said before it is all me, me, ME!!

And yes Ward did holdout for a lil last year. What happened? The Steelers told him if he wants to get paid he has to show up for camp. He did. The Steelers don't settle for self-centeredness and did well to restore Hines's humility and make him remember he is a part of a team. Since then Hines has been the ultimate team player. It is almost never about just him. If Chad Johnson did the same thing the bengals would get down and beg him to stay. God forbid they lose another strong player.

BuFu

"Who said they was all tough? They ain't so tough! Smashmouth football baby! Pittsburgh style!" -Jerome Bettis #36 the BUS in 21-9 victory over Chicago Bears in 2005
HburgXL06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 01:27 PM   #19
WWIIOwheelz
Team Captain

Member Number: 1323

I like what CJ has been able to do for the Bungals' franchise. It's fun to have a decent team over in Ohio again, because the Brownies have been little fun to hate since they came back.

I've read quite a bit about CJ, and he's a competitor. I'm not sure how easy that personality would be to coach, but Cowher has said before that he likes him. He seems to be a good sport, and really make for some funny stuff. Hines put him in his place very well last year with the dance. :)

I just can't wait for the season to start.
WWIIOwheelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 02:09 PM   #20
I-Want-Troy's-Hair
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 2698

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83-Steelers-43
Guess we missed that little half-time meltdown during the playoffs last season. Does he have the talent? Yes.

Is it worth this.........

Here you go: http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_412642.html
Yeah the same meltdown Lewis is still trying to deny to this day.
I-Want-Troy's-Hair is offline   Reply With Quote