Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 10-02-2012, 05:30 PM   #1
BKAnthem
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 13149
Default Koach Kugler

Has anyone seen any improvement in the O Line since he's been here? I know i have an untrained eye but i don't see much more improvement than when Larry (Flynt) Zierlein was here..and injuries could be a small part of it...but i'm not leaning on that excuse
BKAnthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 05:36 PM   #2
Steelersfan87
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 18585
Default Re: Koach Kugler

Well, I would say there was improvement, but that also had a lot to do with Maurkice Pouncey, who was drafted the same time Kugler was brought over.
Steelersfan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:01 PM   #3
BKAnthem
Assistant Coach

I don't know, 4 High round draft picks on the Oline and i still don't see much....
Old 10-02-2012, 06:04 PM   #4
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 18,014 Times in 7,605 Posts
My Mood: Dead

He got the Steelers to the SuperBowl, despite losing both starting OTs (Starks & The Colon), and losing Pouncey in the end of the season. Also, considering with whom Kugler has had to work, I'd say he has done a darn good job.

Here is who he has had:

OT: Starks is old & injured. Gilbert is young... but, looked good as a rookie. The Colon was injured for two seasons. The Hotel played very well (better than he did the year prior, in DAL).

OG: Kemo was uncoachable. Foster has faired well, despite being a rookie free agent.

OC: Pouncey is Pouncey. Legursky has faired well, despite being a rookie free agent.

SUMMATION:
I'd like to see how he does at developing Gilbert, Adams, & DD (& Beachum)... and then, I will know more.
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:07 PM   #5
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKAnthem View Post
I don't know, 4 High round draft picks on the Oline and i still don't see much....
Two rookies (DD & Adams). One is injured; one came into the league with issues.

Gilbert is only in his second year.

Pouncey is Pouncey.

I say that we/you/I should give Kugler (at least) another year to deveop these guys, before we evaluate him.

[This is similar to my other post, but as I was typing that, another post was made.. and this is a direct response about the "4 high draft picks".]
Old 10-02-2012, 07:54 PM   #6
BKAnthem
Assistant Coach

ok ...i will reserve further judgement until after this season
Old 10-02-2012, 08:59 PM   #7
Millers the sh!t
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 22201
My Mood: Cheeky

Still a tad too early. But if I had to judge now. I'd say he's no improvement, and we should be looking for someone else.
Old 10-02-2012, 11:26 PM   #8
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,214 Times in 2,675 Posts

to a man, the steelers o-line have always said they wanna be "punch you in the mouth" brawlers. tomlin has always said he fancies a smash mouth run game. that seems to be contrary to the finesse zone blocking schemes his coordinators (and by defunct?) o-line coaches, seem to prefer and teach.

as much as i admire the job stone cold keugler has done with the weapons at his disposal, i wonder if we have been trying to fit square pegs in a round hole.

make no mistake, our o-line is HUGE and there is no reason they shouldnt be able to push the pile (even w/ decastro out).

i also wish gilbert would focus as much on his training and study, as he does his social media status and partying.
Old 10-03-2012, 12:02 AM   #9
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
to a man, the steelers o-line have always said they wanna be "punch you in the mouth" brawlers. tomlin has always said he fancies a smash mouth run game. that seems to be contrary to the finesse zone blocking schemes his coordinators (and by defunct?) o-line coaches, seem to prefer and teach.

as much as i admire the job stone cold keugler has done with the weapons at his disposal, i wonder if we have been trying to fit square pegs in a round hole.

make no mistake, our o-line is HUGE and there is no reason they shouldnt be able to push the pile (even w/ decastro out).

i also wish gilbert would focus as much on his training and study, as he does his social media status and partying.
Interesting point.

The Colon is definitely smash-mouth. I would say that Pouncey & DD are more of the finesse style. I'm not sure about Adams & Gilbert. [I'm not sure about Adams at all.]

So, do you think that need at least one more O-lineman (LG)... and possibly three (LG, LT, RT)? Or, do you think that these players can adapt to the zone-blocking, finesse style? Better yet, might the interior be finesse, and the tackles be smash-mouth? Similarly, maybe the left side is smash-mouth, and the middle to right side is finesse...???
Old 10-03-2012, 12:47 AM   #10
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,214 Times in 2,675 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by teegre View Post
Interesting point.

The Colon is definitely smash-mouth. I would say that Pouncey & DD are more of the finesse style. I'm not sure about Adams & Gilbert. [I'm not sure about Adams at all.]

So, do you think that need at least one more O-lineman (LG)... and possibly three (LG, LT, RT)? Or, do you think that these players can adapt to the zone-blocking, finesse style? Better yet, might the interior be finesse, and the tackles be smash-mouth? Similarly, maybe the left side is smash-mouth, and the middle to right side is finesse...???
i think colon will eventually be fine. i just expected him to come right out of the gate gangbusters. i guess my expectations were too high and unrealistic. i still think he will be good, just not the immediate pro-bowler i predicted.

beachum has been understandably horrible. the fact that he even made the roster kinda suggests which direction the OL may be heading. like you said, we will probably stand pat on the outside. starks is cheap and adams and gilbert are way too young to give up on now (like we did w/ urbick).

thats just my opinion. admittedly i am least comfortable discussing the OL as i have never played the position or really even studied it until the past few years.